Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Hella Horn Help

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mywrb13wrx 
#1 ·
Hi folks. Looking for some technical assistance. I bought a set of hella horns, a mounting bracket, and this wiring harness from iJDMtoy:

iJDMTOY (1) 12V Horn Wiring... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XM107FC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I got the bumper off no problem and found the stock horns. They’re located on opposite sides of the front end above the wheels. Wiring is where I’m not sure what to do. The wiring harness has 4 sets of wires:

1. Positive connection to the battery - no problem.
2. Black connection to the battery- no problem.
3. 2 connections to the hella horns - no problem.
4. Two wires that I’m supposed to connect to the stock harness - this is where I’m having a problem.

The stock horn wires have one white wire for the passenger side and one black for the driver side.

Do I split the wires from the aftermarket harness I have and run one wire to each of the stock horns? Red to white and black to black?

Or do I just run the aftermarket harness to one of the stock horns (does it matter which one?) and ground the black wire to the frame?

Sorry if it’s confusing. Hopefully the pic helps. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks similar except the Subimods one looks like it only has one connection that plugs right into the stock harness, which would be simpler. The one from iJDMTOY has two connections to connect to the stock harness. Someone on one of the STI forums suggested that connecting one wire to the harness and grounding the other should work. I'll try that and if it doesn't work I'll just order the Subimods one.

BTW, for when you do your install, the driver side horn is the one that has the female harness that it looks like the Subimods harness would plug into. The passenger side has a different harness that you'll probably just want to disconnect to keep the stock horn on that side from beeping.

#4 ·
Good news/bad news on the Impreza front.
Bad News: Turns out I was a sold a kit that won't work with this car. There is no vertical brace in the Impreza that the rest of Subarus have. So there is really no place to mount these horns without some more fabrication. I will try for a refund tomorrow. If for some reason Subimods can't make it right, I will have a kit to sell.

Good News: On the plus side, it gave me practice for the Ascent.

#5 ·
One is ground. One is positive. I did mine a few weeks ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.