Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what happens when there is no longer a pickup in your driveway...

So we are building a pool, and in the process are re-tiling the back patio. I have to purchase the materials, so off to the supply store I went. I rented a U-Haul 5x9 trailer (1240lbs empty + 1650lbs capacity) and off i went. Well...I overloaded the trailer. 1595lbs in tile + 400lbs of thin set + 25 lbs of grout put me at 2020lbs of cargo or 3260 lbs trailer weight. The Ascent handled it like a champ. I thought it would be sluggish (there were 3 adults in the car as well) but acceleration was fine...maybe 10% to 15% more throttle position in order to get the same acceleration. I was just VERY cautious with following distance...this particular utility trailer has NO brakes...and made sure i gave myself room. I was pleasantly surprised. I do need to get a drop hitch with more drop on it...I was using a 5" drop and the trailer was still angled up.

Reactions: Idaho Oak

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring Brilliant Bronze
104 Posts
The Ascent is supposed to have an automatic "tow mode"; hence, your sluggishness could simply have been the vehicle sensing it was towing and changed up its power curve accordingly. Vehicles in tow mode can be completely different animals.

However, this is excellent feedback. You just nailed 95% of my towing anticipated weights with a similar trailer even.

I have always liked white - good looking vehicle (y)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Towing over 1000 lbs requires trailer brakes. The Ascent will pull that weight just fine. Stopping it on its own is another story though.
The larger UHaul trailers have surge brakes...the 5x9 and smaller dont have anything. It did fine...but I kept it under 45 and left plenty of room to those around me. I don't understand how Uhaul gets away with a trailer that doesn't meet requirements...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,214 Posts
Towing over 1000 lbs requires trailer brakes. The Ascent will pull that weight just fine. Stopping it on its own is another story though.
The challenge with that one from Subaru is that most jurisdictions don't require trailer brakes under 3K lbs and consequently, most small trailers don't have them. Putting brakes on a small trailer can cost as much as the trailer...or more. It's a conundrum...

Reactions: latapx

·
Registered
927 Posts
This is my heaviest towing to date.

Trailer plus Dodge Nitro. Had to tow a friend home.
Total weight: 6000lbs

I did the same, kept it slow (under 45) and left plenty of space to be sure. It was also only 8 miles.

My trailer is rated for 7,000lbs so it wasn't a problem at all.

The Ascent did great :D

Reactions: latapx

·
Registered
471 Posts
I don't understand how Uhaul gets away with a trailer that doesn't meet requirements...
The challenge with that one from Subaru is that most jurisdictions don't require trailer brakes under 3K lbs and consequently, most small trailers don't have them.
Are you going to trust the government / uhaul or your owner's manual? I know where my money is. Not trying to be a jerk about it. That requirement in the manual tells me the vehicle brakes aren't up to stopping the extra load. I'd have a hard time ignoring that.

I have a single axle utility trailer that weighs about a 1000 lbs. No brakes. I'll tow it with large but relatively light stuff like a few sheets of plywood because I know I'm not pushing too far over 1000 lbs. I do plan to fit brakes to it though. It already has the flanges. Maybe a winter project.

Be safe out there!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Are you going to trust the government / uhaul or your owner's manual? ...That requirement in the manual tells me the vehicle brakes aren't up to stopping the extra load. I'd have a hard time ignoring that...
Probably best to go with the most restrictive. That said, the limit in the manual was established considering a range and combination of situations that include extreme ambient temps, long steep grades, max stopping distance at higher speeds... If you're staying far away from all those extremes, the spec is probably pretty conservative.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,214 Posts
Are you going to trust the government / uhaul or your owner's manual? I know where my money is. Not trying to be a jerk about it. That requirement in the manual tells me the vehicle brakes aren't up to stopping the extra load. I'd have a hard time ignoring that.
I don't disagree. I was just pointing out that the market for small trailers isn't in sync with the Subaru specification relative to brakes...hence, my use of the word "conundrum" at the end of my previous post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts