Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2nd time to turn ON heater this morning and i smell burnt material, not sure what it is but the smell is not right, i turned off the AC is gone. Temp is 76, AC is ON. Anyone with similar experience? Thank you. 900 miles Ascent.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The way I understand it is there is essentially an electric heater in there to assist with heating the cabin air until the engine is warm enough. I would think/hope it is also just the initial smell as mentioned above. But obviously it's up to you to decide if it should go to the dealer.

·
Registered
646 Posts
It's similar to the weird smell from the engine bay the first few times you drive it.
Lots of different parts handled by different people and stored with other materials. It's just got to burn off all that stuff. First time I put headers on a car I thought it was about to catch fire because of the smell. After you realize you smeared grease, oil, skin, blood, etc. all over it and it's heating up you feel better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback, but never had this smell on my brandnew forester xt touring when i got it last 2016. Will monitor this ascent , probably have the heater run on purpose and full blast the fan with open windows to check if this bad smell will go away.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, but never had this smell on my brandnew forester xt touring when i got it last 2016. Will monitor this ascent , probably have the heater run on purpose and full blast the fan with open windows to check if this bad smell will go away.
I know on my Ascent my heat and AC were run for a bit before I picked it up, which contributed to far less of a smell when I did. Wondering if that's the differences you noted between your Ascent and Forester.

·
Registered
764 Posts
2nd time to turn ON heater this morning and i smell burnt material, not sure what it is but the smell is not right, i turned off the AC is gone. Temp is 76, AC is ON. Anyone with similar experience? Thank you. 900 miles Ascent.

Its should just be typical new car stuff burning off, but I'd check under the hood just in case. Make sure there isn't anything in there :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts