Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone, anyone tell me why Subaru and Toyota appear to be the only automakers that don't heat the steering wheel between the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions? Every other SUV that I test drove heated the entire wheel. What's up with leaving the top of the wheel freezing cold in winter weather? I've been told that you're not supposed to keep your hands up top. I get that, but when making a turn, the cold top of the wheel still passes between your grip.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Can someone, anyone tell me why Subaru and Toyota appear to be the only automakers that don't heat the steering wheel between the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions? Every other SUV that I test drove heated the entire wheel. What's up with leaving the top of the wheel freezing cold in winter weather? I've been told that you're not supposed to keep your hands up top. I get that, but when making a turn, the cold top of the wheel still passes between your grip.
Hmm I didn't know that about he heated steering wheel. How do you know that they don't heat the top part of it? I agree the entire wheel should be heated.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's the way it is in both Toyota and Subaru. Maybe they use the same supplier? I sat in a limited Ascent 2 weeks ago and that was one of the things I was able to test. Top was not heated.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Maybe because you are supposed to drive at the 9 and 3 position? They are just promoting good driving habits.

·
Registered
598 Posts
All my cars have no portion of the steering wheel heated and the entire thing is frigid. I guess I feel thankful to have any portion of the steering wheel heated but I don't know why they would choose to only heat a certain portion of it. It's prolly a cost saving measure. Send feedback to SOA; they may change this in the future.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just another data point: I test drove the Mazda CX-9 and iirc, the CX-9 also only heated from the middle section and not the top/bottom of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just another data point: I test drove the Mazda CX-9 and iirc, the CX-9 also only heated from the middle section and not the top/bottom of the steering wheel.
I had an 03 Maxima with a heated steering wheel and the whole wheel was not heated. I think its more common to have 9 and 3 heated rather than the entire wheel.

·
Registered
107 Posts
One, I'm sure it's part of the proper driving holds, i.e. holding between 10 and 2 will have your arms broken when the bag goes off. But, there might be a technical reason also because of that air bag. Not sure if heat is good to have near it?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Our pathfinder only had a couple places heated and I wondered the same thing. Has to be a safety thing or something. I’m like the others wish the entire thing was heated, but I went my entire life without a heated steering wheel so I guess I should be thankful for the warm parts! Haha!

·
Registered
191 Posts
My Nissan Leaf has the whole wheel heated so I was surprised to find the "cold gap" on the Ascent. I'm sure I'll manage, somehow...

·
Registered
160 Posts
My Ford Flex (Limited) has wood at the top and not heater. I am not sure if Ford heats that area on the wheels without the wood top. I could easily live without the top heated, but it would be nice. With leather it would be better than the cold hard surface of wood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts