Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
simple question? My ascent built cost 48K why we don't have function to control heated steering wheel by? We can control many things with MySubaru app but we don't have heated steering wheel, Is that something super complicated to do in this century of technology, or maybe some one thing that's not important to have at -25F ? Almost forgot to say itt.... and we pay$$$$ for mysubaru app
Azure Rectangle Font Line Parallel

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
I'd suggest emailing them and letting them know you'd like it. Perhaps it's something that can be changed in software in a future update (if enough people request it), perhaps it's not.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I will have to give my 2 cents worth..... In 2018, when I started using the APP , the "Heated Steering Wheel" was on the APP!!! For whatever reason, Subaru removed it from the App. My steering wheel does NOT heat properly. Every time I tell them it is the same old same old....no problem found. I think Subaru has perhaps been having problems with the heated steering wheel and decided to remove it from the APP. I also have problems with heat blowing out of the vents when everything is off. I have heard it all about setting it to cool before tuning off. HOWEVER, heat is BLOWING out of the vents. It is NOT fresh air but hot air blowing out at a medium fan rate.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
I've never had heated steering wheel on my app, and mine's one of the first production run Ascents. The option was never there for my Touring. I might still have my original training screenshots I made for others... if I see something different, I'll let everyone know.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,260 Posts
I think it was suggested here that the heated steering wheel functionality was "local" to the steering wheel itself, and not commanded through the body control module. If that is true, and the car doesn't "communicate" with the heating element other than providing power to the relay that's energized by the steering wheel pull switch, then there wouldn't be any way for it to be turned on remotely.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
I also have problems with heat blowing out of the vents when everything is off.
The heat you feel is caused by the source air flow damper being in the "outside" (vs "recirculate") position, and, a damper in the car (eg: "face") being in the open position. Wind across the windshield cowl blows through the cowl into the air ducts, through the outside/recirculate damper, over the heat exchanger, and through whatever the last opened vents were.

All of the damper controls work with the system off (even though they aren't lit up). So, to stop this from happening, simply choose "recirculate" to close the circulation damper and stop the forced air flow from outside, or, hit "foot", "defrost" or some other vent damper selection that's more comfortable. Pressing those buttons will position the damper(s) as requested, and light up the appropriate button for a period of time.

While there's no "close all vents" option, choosing "recirculate" would be the equivalent of closing all the dampers to outside air. You may find your windows fog up if you don't leave the AC on or crack a window, though.

I did a video for this... but haven't finished editing it yet. Soon, I hope.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will have to give my 2 cents worth..... In 2018, when I started using the APP , the "Heated Steering Wheel" was on the APP!!! For whatever reason, Subaru removed it from the App. My steering wheel does NOT heat properly. Every time I tell them it is the same old same old....no problem found. I think Subaru has perhaps been having problems with the heated steering wheel and decided to remove it from the APP. I also have problems with heat blowing out of the vents when everything is off. I have heard it all about setting it to cool before tuning off. HOWEVER, heat is BLOWING out of the vents. It is NOT fresh air but hot air blowing out at a medium fan rate.
yes you are right man!!! I'm ok but my wife also complain about heat blowing out of the vents when everything is off, I have 2020 Ascent and also having this issue. For some reason Subaru don't see this little things.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it was suggested here that the heated steering wheel functionality was "local" to the steering wheel itself, and not commanded through the body control module. If that is true, and the car doesn't "communicate" with the heating element other than providing power to the relay that's energized by the steering wheel pull switch, then there wouldn't be any way for it to be turned on remotely.
I'm so sad about...

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
simple question? My ascent built cost 48K why we don't have function to control heated steering wheel by? We can control many things with MySubaru app but we don't have heated steering wheel, Is that something super complicated to do in this century of technology, or maybe some one thing that's not important to have at -25F ? Almost forgot to say itt.... and we pay$$$$ for mysubaru app.
I do not think it is needed since the area is so small and it heats up virtually instantaneously.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,180 Posts
I am guessing these features are only available when you pay for some app services. The app for me is boring...all I can do is schedule service :)
Yes, that's true. After your freebie trials are completed, if you want to use any of the features that are "beyond" the vehicle other than service things, you'll need a subscription. There are two levels of that subscription and what they cover is listed on the Subaru Starlink website. The feature that is of interest to many owners is the remote start, for example. For that capability, three years, if bought within a certain period of vehicle acquisition is $74. Seven years is $374...or about the same cost as having the fob-based remote start installed by the dealer, not including labor.

Reactions: ericjkelly

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am guessing these features are only available when you pay for some app services. The app for me is boring...all I can do is schedule service :)
Our dealer blocked off all near-term appointments when I tried to schedule service via the app or the web. Sometimes, the earliest appointment available was a month away. But, calling the dealer's service department always got us an appointment within a day or two. I think that qualifies as "reverse engineering."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts