Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Ascent Premium, when I tap (play drums while jamming out) on the steering wheel, I and hear and feel a rattle inside the steering wheel itself.

Is this part of the heating element system for the heated steering wheel?

Is it wired for a button and all I need to do is add one?

·
Registered
731 Posts
There's a lot of "opportunities" for things to rattle in our steering wheel I've noticed. Pull the top corner of the Horn Pad towards you - does it move? That's one big one, that can be fixed.
Other tiny buzzes and rattle noises are much tougher. I'd have to completely disassemble the steering wheel/airbag stuff and get the felt tape out.

Just passed 2K miles on the Ascent and starting to get some noises, lol. Must be a Subaru!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I have a 2020 Ascent Premium, when I tap (play drums while jamming out) on the steering wheel, I and hear and feel a rattle inside the steering wheel itself.

Is this part of the heating element system for the heated steering wheel?

Is it wired for a button and all I need to do is add one?
that sound is the steering wheel's built in cymbals. On a serious note, I love my heated steering wheel. I have a loaner for the next two weeks and definitely miss it. Somehow I will live through it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Don’t see why not.

The Heater Module lives in the wheel itself as opposed to some complex CanBus integration.
The fact it cannot be controlled via the MySubaru Remote Start app, tells me it‘s me it’s more of a “dumb” local system, needing only local switched power and ground.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong, don’t quote me. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I was thinking.

Don’t see why not.

The Heater Module lives in the wheel itself as opposed to some complex CanBus integration.
The fact it cannot be controlled via the MySubaru Remote Start app, tells me it‘s me it’s more of a “dumb” local system, needing only local switched power and ground.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong, don’t quote me. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was just looking at the steering wheel diagram for the limited trim for us premium folks without the heated steering wheel. Looks like the heating elements are 34353 and 34953 in the pic below, part numbers 34353FL000 and 34335XC00A. This is just based on looking at the whee part diagram for a limited. But, I dont know if this means this heater control unit can simply be added to the premium, nor do I know how hard it is to get the other parts off. Anybody with some more insight? I have to say I really love my heated wheel on my other car which is great in the chicagoland winters and miss it on my subie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.