Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased the car back in July, and sure enough, first adopter issues started popping up. By far the one worth mentioning relates to the central locking, which started about 5 weeks back and completely collapsed yesterday.

Basically, we’d have random failures in either locking or unlocking the front doors. Sometimes one door would work and the other didn’t, sometimes they both failed, triggering the alarm system so that all passers-by can look at you while you’re trying to “steal” your own car. Yesterday was a special though because the doors started locking and unlocking by themselves at random, while my wife was driving the car on the highway!

I took it to the dealer and after taking the doors apart he found the cause: apparently the AZ heat has melted the trim glue, which was somehow applied in excess!! Yes, the trim glue has melted over the doors’ actuators! Can you believe that?

·
Administrator
11,928 Posts
I took it to the dealer and after taking the doors apart he found the cause: apparently the AZ heat has melted the trim glue, which was somehow applied in excess!! Yes, the trim glue has melted over the doors’ actuators! Can you believe that?

Have you called SoA? I've never heard of that happening, especially since the parts catalog shows door trim is held on by clips and one strip of weather seal tape.

You can confirm that here:

I'd definitely give them a call and let them know what's going on. Maybe something was greased or glued wrong for an accessory or option install?

Please let me know what SoA says and what the final work order says.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I can believe a lot of stuff about Arizona heat. My sales manager is from there. That's the reason he believes in ceramic window tint.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Have you called SoA? I've never heard of that happening, especially since the parts catalog shows door trim is held on by clips and one strip of weather seal tape.

You can confirm that here:

I'd definitely give them a call and let them know what's going on. Maybe something was greased or glued wrong for an accessory or option install?

Please let me know what SoA says and what the final work order says.
Every car I’ve ever worked on had a plastic seal between the door card and the inner workings. But Subaru has a waxy material they treat inner spaces with that gets runny in high heat. I wonder if thats what happened.

·
Administrator
11,928 Posts
Every car I’ve ever worked on had a plastic seal between the door card and the inner workings. But Subaru has a waxy material they treat inner spaces with that gets runny in high heat. I wonder if thats what happened.
Could be. There is a plastic seal, but it's got an adhesive ring that holds it to the inner door frame. Wondering if it was that. PNs 61244A and 61244B.

·
Registered
951 Posts
This city should not exist. It is a monument to man's arrogance.
LOL, we have 3 months of heat and 9 months of awesome weather.

I spend less cooling my house in Phoenix than I did warming my house in Ohio.

I haven't used my house's heating system in 5 years.

I have 300 days of sun.

I love it!

(That said, I did leave my prescription glasses in the car and melted my coating off them! Had to go back to my backup pair!)

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
965 Posts
Could be. There is a plastic seal, but it's got an adhesive ring that holds it to the inner door frame. Wondering if it was that. PNs 61244A and 61244B.
That's what I was thinking when he said it - the sealant for the plastic sheet melted.

Which it's not supposed to, but we are talking Phoenix. :devil:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.