Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having a discussion about my front windshield sun shade at work and my co-worked shared an interesting thought. He used to use a sun shade but stopped because he was wondering about damage to the windshield from the heat build up. His theory is the heat would get trapped between the shade and glass and could weaken the glass. And then if the heat was esacping out of the top it could be really hot towards the top of the glass. Is there any truth to this, it sounds right but i am not sure if its factually correct. It gets pretty hot around here in the summer, 90+ a lot of the days. I wonder if the heat buildup could damage the eyesight system.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I use the Subaru Windshield sun shade. I wondered about the heat because the shiny side when I take it down is rather warm but not hot enough to burn my hand and that's when it is 100F outside. My thinking is that it is a Subaru licensed product and sold by Subaru so if there is an issue like that its on them. Also there is a cut out that does not cover the Eye Sight cameras. Finally I figured if it was getting too hot the first thing to go would be my car registration sticker and it is intact.

So yes it gets warm but it is any warmer than the inside of the car without the sun shield?

·
Registered
334 Posts
No clue. I used a Heatshield brand sun shade for 3 years with my Eyesight Outback and no issues. I'm in Utah where there is plenty of summer heat. I also bought one for my Ascent. I have the OEM version but found it too heavy and cumbersome to move around and went back to Heatshield. My question is - how is this any different than window tint or the sunshade for the moonroof?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No clue. I used a Heatshield brand sun shade for 3 years with my Eyesight Outback and no issues. I'm in Utah where there is plenty of summer heat. I also bought one for my Ascent. I have the OEM version but found it too heavy and cumbersome to move around and went back to Heatshield. My question is - how is this any different than window tint or the sunshade for the moonroof?
Yeah thats in interesting point about the moonroof shade. It was just a discussion I was having and wanted to see if anyone had heard of that before.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I use the Subaru Windshield sun shade. I wondered about the heat because the shiny side when I take it down is rather warm but not hot enough to burn my hand and that's when it is 100F outside. My thinking is that it is a Subaru licensed product and sold by Subaru so if there is an issue like that its on them. Also there is a cut out that does not cover the Eye Sight cameras. Finally I figured if it was getting too hot the first thing to go would be my car registration sticker and it is intact.

So yes it gets warm but it is any warmer than the inside of the car without the sun shield?
I love the Subaru sunshade. Big improvement over others, albeit expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts