Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've had my car 6 months, and am finally annoyed by something enough to try and fix it. If I have Bluetooth enabled, I can't hear the GPS directions either through the phone, or my car speaker. It doesn't matter whether I have the phone plugged into the car charger or not. I have Android Auto, and a Premium model, if that helps. I've tried two different chargers and USB cords.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Weird! So you get the maps on your display but no sound? I have mine working with Android Auto and Waze (or google maps) and I get the sound through the front speakers. I can turn the volume know while it is speaking to adjust the GPS volume separate from the music volume.

Maybe yours is defaulting to 0? Does the music get quieter when you think it should be speaking? If so try turning up the volume at that moment.

Also double check the volume settings on your phone. Maybe one of them is muted?

It's a great feature, hope you can get it working!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Do you have a friend with an Android phone? Have them plug theirs in and see what it does. That will tell you if it is just your phone.

2nd I agree with others it is probably the cable.

Also, did you update your radio via the Subaru update with a USB stick?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Android Auto works find on mine, but I can't get Android Auto to even connect without having my phone paired via Blue Tooth. And it it pairs with my wifes phone first, then I'm locked out of starting Android Auto. It's almost as if it uses the USB connection for transferring data (such as the map and screen display) but relies on BlueTooth for sound.

I would check bluetooth options on your phone to make sure the phone is transmitting via Bluetooth when it is connected, and that the phone is actually paired to your Subaru.

And you are only using one of the USB slots at the front of the console?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another thought. On my phone (Android 8.0.0, LG V20) there is actually a notification window when I connect to a bluetooth device that asks whether I want to use the connected device or the phone for sound. On my phone, it defaults to the connection, but if it were defaulting to the device then I wouldn't get Android auto sound thru the car speakers.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Simple fix...

Simple fix. There's one buried volume setting that is responsible for the sounds you're looking for, and, in some of the cars, it's defaulted to zero. There's two ways you can fix this.

First, make sure that Android Auto is not using bluetooth. Launch Android Auto on your phone and turn off its bluetooth connection. You can leave your phone's bluetooth connected to the car.

1. Initiate navigation, and, when you are sure it's talking to you (music volume will lower), turn the volume knob.

OR
  2. In the head unit's Settings->Sound, look for the various volume settings. You will find one is set to zero. Turn it up.

Also, of course, make sure that the appropriate volume setting is not at zero on your phone. Change the volume on your phone using the volume buttons, pull down the drop down arrow to see all volume options, and adjust as necessary.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
First, make sure that Android Auto is not using bluetooth. Launch Android Auto on your phone and turn off its bluetooth connection. You can leave your phone's bluetooth connected to the car.
I am confused about turning off Bluetooth but leaving the phone connected via Bluetooth??
See these

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Android Auto works find on mine, but I can't get Android Auto to even connect without having my phone paired via Blue Tooth. And it it pairs with my wifes phone first, then I'm locked out of starting Android Auto. It's almost as if it uses the USB connection for transferring data (such as the map and screen display) but relies on BlueTooth for sound.

I would check bluetooth options on your phone to make sure the phone is transmitting via Bluetooth when it is connected, and that the phone is actually paired to your Subaru.

And you are only using one of the USB slots at the front of the console?
Make your phone the first phone in the list, in settings, if you're the primary driver. Then it should connect yours first.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Side question here. Subaru has enabled Bluetooth android auto but won’t add the settings for carplay wireless?

I was always told they both have issues running thru Bluetooth as not enough bandwidth and bmw actually connects WiFi so that it can work properly.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Side question here. Subaru has enabled Bluetooth android auto but won’t add the settings for carplay wireless?

I was always told they both have issues running thru Bluetooth as not enough bandwidth and bmw actually connects WiFi so that it can work properly.
When did they release Android Auto Bluetooth support?

·
Registered
89 Posts
It has been confirmed that wireless CarPlay requires both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi technology. Once your vehicle has been switched on, the vehicle’s Bluetooth connects to your iPhone and makes a digital ‘handshake’ with it to automatically connect to your iPhone over Wi-Fi, for a more stable connection in the vehicle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.