Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front seat headrests don't feel right to me. They are angled too sharply forward and poke me in the back of my head. I may very well be wrong, but shouldn't the headrest gently support your head AND your neck? It feels like in a bad rear-ender, my neck is not supported at all. Thought?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either I'm not pulling hard enough,or they don't adjust fore and aft, just up and down.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
618 Posts
Not sure if lower end models maybe don't have them, but on my limited I just gently pull the top of it forward, then it snaps back to straight vertical.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Interesting, I noticed this just a little bit on my Ascent ( it doesn't bother me anymore), but my MKZ is terrible in this regard. Even after having the MKZ for almost 4 years, it still bothers me, especially after having driven one of my other cars for a while. I feel like my head is being forced downward by the headrest. My son, who is inheriting the car noticed the same thing too ( although he may have been angling to try to get our Jaguar by complaining about the seating position in the Lincoln).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,827 Posts
If you raise it slightly, it may make it more comfortable if you are someone who sits with your head against the head-rest. Try to zero into the spot where the back of your head is "in the valley" rather than contacting the upper portion of the head rest.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
With my preferred seating position and posture, the headrest on my previous car would not go back far enough and it would push my head forward. I wound up removing the cover and trimmed the thickness of the foam down about 1/2-3/4 inch. FWIW, I don't have that issue on the Ascent.

·
Registered
154 Posts
With my preferred seating position and posture, the headrest on my previous car would not go back far enough and it would push my head forward. I wound up removing the cover and trimmed the thickness of the foam down about 1/2-3/4 inch. FWIW, I don't have that issue on the Ascent.
I had the very same problem in my previous Highlander. The headrest protruded way too forward that it pressed my head downwards if I rested against the seat. There was no way to adjust it until I bent the two head posts slightly to a more humane angle. It was Toyota's cost cutting way to meet minimal whiplash protection. The Ascent's headrest is so much more adjustable and comfortable and so was my 2007 Hyundai Sante Fe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I got it figured out. I basically had a brain fart. The headrests are still not all that comfortable, but now I have a little more control. Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Ok, I got it figured out. I basically had a brain fart. The headrests are still not all that comfortable, but now I have a little more control. Thanks!
This will seem silly, but tilt the seat forward a little bit and see if the headrest becomes more comfortable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The front seat headrests don't feel right to me. They are angled too sharply forward and poke me in the back of my head. I may very well be wrong, but shouldn't the headrest gently support your head AND your neck? It feels like in a bad rear-ender, my neck is not supported at all. Thought?
Not to my knowledge based on other cars with headrests. The headrest should hit the back of your head right about level with your ears, to prevent your neck from snapping back and causing whiplash. Headrests are not really intended to cradle the curve in your neck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts