Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I've noticed fogging on my headlights and was told by the dealership that it's fading caused by the sun. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and am wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their Ascent. I'm blown away that this would occur on a car that is a year old and only has about 10k miles on it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I sure miss good old glass headlight lenses. The whole sealed beam halagon unit was $8 per bulb, lenses didn't yellow, took a beating that would destroy the plastics.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
fogging is not fading from sun. One has to do with moisture caught behind the lense and the other has to do with discoloration from heat or certain wavelengths of light. As long as moisture evaporates quickly , it should not be an issue and fading "from the sun" if significant enough could be a problem as it reduces the light beam. If the latter is the case i would have it taken care of through warranty.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Hi there,

I've noticed fogging on my headlights and was told by the dealership that it's fading caused by the sun. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and am wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their Ascent. I'm blown away that this would occur on a car that is a year old and only has about 10k miles on it.

Thanks!
If it's actually moisture on the inside, then @packout is correct, and the lens should be replaced by the dealer. If it is "fading" from the sun, then you are out of luck and will have to "polish" the lens and put some type of protective coating (xpel) on the outside of the lens. In our fleet, the Subaru lenses are actually holding up better than the Honda ones.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The California coast is very foggy most times. Hard to fathom that the lens is clouding up from sun. But no matter, if wiper blades are covered under warranty, surely these lenses are. Request the dealer shop repair this.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
36 Posts
Bought mine in the bay area. Has some clouding on the top edge of the headlight assembly. Thought it was clouding, but may very well be moisture, given the climate at this dealership. If so, will have dealer check when I take in for first service.

·
Registered
186 Posts
condensation fogging is vastly different than UV induced haze. There should have been enough venting to prevent it . And UV haze should have a 10 yr warranty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi there,

Thanks!
IMO, I don't think it's the sun. It may be a seal leak in the headlight unit. I have a 2019 Ascent Limited with 12,000 miles and I live in Palm Springs most of the time. If the sun were the cause it would have affected my car by now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bought mine in the bay area. Has some clouding on the top edge of the headlight assembly. Thought it was clouding, but may very well be moisture, given the climate at this dealership. If so, will have dealer check when I take in for first service.
Sounds like the same as mine....it's not moisture. Clouding on the top flat part of the Headlights. The dealership has said that it is on the exterior and is Sun Fade caused by the sun. Subaru won't cover it under warranty saying it is caused by the environment. I pushed back because my car is only about a year old with less than 10k miles. This has to be a product defect and I suspect that more Subarus have it but people just have not noticed yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IMO, I don't think it's the sun. It may be a seal leak in the headlight unit. I have a 2019 Ascent Limited with 12,000 miles and I live in Palm Springs most of the time. If the sun were the cause it would have affected my car by now.
Thanks. It seems to be on the outside. Could be a bad batch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
condensation fogging is vastly different than UV induced haze. There should have been enough venting to prevent it . And UV haze should have a 10 yr warranty.
They said it's sun fade and not covered under the warranty. This should not be happening to a 2019 car. I can't believe this would not be covered but that is what they are saying.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
That would be very unusual for hazing to be covered for 10 years. Are you talking about through the Subaru extended warranty?

Paint failure won't even be covered for 10 years. The headlamp lens damage would be upsetting. Just refinish the area and put a nice protective of your choice on it. The dealer would probably refinish it for you, for a price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts