Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just noticed on my Touring that the left headlight is aimed lower than the right headlight. I checked this at distance and against my garage door with the vehicle parked perpendicular to it: the left light is notably lower aimed than the right. Is this normal for this vehicle or is this a problem I need to have looked at? I've always seen them aimed the same for every other vehicle I have ever owned. Seems odd to have them aimed differently like this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm sure that the headlights should be more aligned. My cars have always made a straight line across the horizon, and my Ascent is no exception.

A little off topic, but I love the way the lights turn when I turn. Really helps in residential areas to see where I am going to go.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure that the headlights should be more aligned. My cars have always made a straight line across the horizon, and my Ascent is no exception.

A little off topic, but I love the way the lights turn when I turn. Really helps in residential areas to see where I am going to go.
This is what I thought. Subaru QC failed in this case. You'd think headlight alignment would be something they'd check. Back to the dealer I go...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it look like this? If so, I think this is the desired effect as mentioned in post #2.

I don't have access to a wall such as is pictured, but I believe the result of what I am seeing would translate to what is shown. The effect is more pronounced at longer distances from the car. Is an Ascent being used in the picture?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I don't have access to a wall such as is pictured, but I believe the result of what I am seeing would translate to what is shown. The effect is more pronounced at longer distances from the car. Is an Ascent being used in the picture?
That's an old photo from The Retrofit Source, so likely not not an Ascent. I haven't tried to assess the beam pattern of mine but I wouldn't be surprised if it looked like this.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Hi everyone,

This is totally normal, and has been the case on many Subarus for ages, including my former 2010 Outback. As mentioned, it's to prevent glare for oncoming traffic.

If you scroll down the IIHS report, you will see the drastic differences between left and right headlights on the Touring.
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/subaru/ascent-4-door-suv?print-view

You'll also see that even though the projected light "height" is much different, the overall distance still exceeds the requirements for an IIHS top rating.

On my old 2010 Outback, it was a multi-step stairstepped drop from right to left. On the Ascent, it's a two step (right to left), IIRC. It is especially important with these super bright LED projectors. Well, at least for the people heading in the opposite direction towards us. ;)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Our old 2006 Tribeca was the same way.

It's really in the driver headlight. There's a step down midway through. Not sure on the Ascent but there's definitely a step.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Our old 2006 Tribeca was the same way.

It's really in the driver headlight. There's a step down midway through. Not sure on the Ascent but there's definitely a step.
I think I am going to find that this is exactly what it is: intended for purposes of oncoming traffic. And for the record, my Ascent's headlights print on a wall very similarly to what is pictured a few responses below, complete with the small decline between the left and right headlights. I have been used to traditional reflector-style halogen headlights from all previous vehicles and this isn't something you see with those -- likely because the light pattern can't be controlled nearly as well as the projector lens can do, which is why you get that crisp horizontal cutoff line. I already have the appointment scheduled and will have them look at it anyway.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I looked at my cutoff driving towards my garage door last night. It's actually nothing like the picture I posted. It is more or less a horizontal line with a two small peaks (one from each headlight). It's completely symmetrical and not lower on the driver's side. I don't think it's broken or anything, but I expected something else. I should try the same with my wife's Mazda which also has adaptive LED headlights.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I looked at my cutoff driving towards my garage door last night. It's actually nothing like the picture I posted. It is more or less a horizontal line with a two small peaks (one from each headlight). It's completely symmetrical and not lower on the driver's side. I don't think it's broken or anything, but I expected something else. I should try the same with my wife's Mazda which also has adaptive LED headlights.
I think my limited is the same. Doesn’t bother me (or oncoming drivers) at all from what I’ve seen. The steering responsive headlight functionality is pretty cool.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Do you have LED headlights or halogens? If LED, that's good to know as mine are definitely not even. I am expecting the dealership to report "No problem found." in my case. That's the typical cop-out from a dealership.

Here's a picture of what I am seeing on mine. Note the lower left-hand light. This is taken with the garage door about 20 feet from the front of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Standard distance check is 3m/10ft. But that looks normal for the beam pattern on a modern vehicle.
You can see the left side is clearly lower, correct? That's about 2"-3" lower as pictured. This is at the beam peaks.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Standard distance check is 3m/10ft. But that looks normal for the beam pattern on a modern vehicle.
You can see the left side is clearly lower, correct? That's about 2"-3" lower as pictured. This is at the beam peaks.
Yes, totally normal and matches the IIHS test results.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Do you have LED headlights or halogens? If LED, that's good to know as mine are definitely not even. I am expecting the dealership to report "No problem found." in my case. That's the typical cop-out from a dealership.

Here's a picture of what I am seeing on mine. Note the lower left-hand light. This is taken with the garage door about 20 feet from the front of the car.
Yes, I have the LED headlights. My beam pattern looks like your picture but I can't confirm if the left side is noticeably lower like yours is. I'd have to look again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.