Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Does anyone know where is the "magic knob/screw" which changes the low beam height? My Ascent, which is Premium version so no fancy lights, is really blinding oncoming traffic. I know I can take it to the dealer but I want to try it myself first. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes,I have similar issue of OEM lights have very bad visibility especially dark highways.I tried led but it didn't show any wow difference.Let me know how you done your headlight adjustment.Any difference?

·
Registered
691 Posts
it’s not recommended to adjust with 10mm... its too sensitive... The teeth on the side you see(in the pic)made for Philip screwdriver ...

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I used a 10mm socket and it worked fine. I placed a large piece of cardboard twenty five feet in front of the car extending 30" to 40" above the garage floor. It takes very little movement of the socket to make a noticeable change on the beam's top horizontal edge. I did this after installing Diode Dynamic's led bulbs.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
... It takes very little movement of the socket to make a noticeable change on the beam's top horizontal edge. ..
Yep. A socket works. However, using a philips on the crown gear provides a mechanical advantage that makes fine adjustment easier, which is why they took the trouble to design and build it that way.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yep. A socket works. However, using a philips on the crown gear provides a mechanical advantage that makes fine adjustment easier, which is why they took the trouble to design and build it that way.
I agree. And so easy to use a Phillips. I counted the number to notches in case I ever needed to return to original.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When it comes to headlights, some manufacturers have the driver side headlights aimed slightly lower than the passenger side lights. It's done that way to minimize glare to oncoming traffic and due to the slope of the road crown. I haven't confirmed if our Ascents are aimed in such a way from the factory, but I would keep them like that and not try to match the beam height on both headlights.

·
Registered
732 Posts
When it comes to headlights, some manufacturers have the driver side headlights aimed slightly lower than the passenger side lights. It's done that way to minimize glare to oncoming traffic and due to the slope of the road crown. I haven't confirmed if our Ascents are aimed in such a way from the factory, but I would keep them like that and not try to match the beam height on both headlights.
Actually, it is the “cutoff” beam pattern that steps down the beam on BOTH L/R headlight projectors on the driver’s side. This built in cutoff beam pattern is reversed for RHD cars.
Both headlights are aimed at identical heights. It’s been this way since projectors came out, whether Halogen, HID and now LED.
DO NOT aim the lights at different heights from each other.
Even with the crap Premium’s halogen projectors, a lot of design went into the beam pattern and height etc. if it were me, I’d look into a high quality LED or HID bulb replacement. You can’t go cheap though as cheap can make the results worse.
One of many reasons I opted for the Limited - the stock active-steering LEDs are absolutely amazing.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
151 Posts
Has anyone tried these bulbs in the Ascent yet? Wondering if the beam pattern remains the comparable to the OEM in our projector's housing.

GTR Ultra 2 series

Also, has anyone noticed that the halogens cutoff's of the Ascent isn't very sharp? I upgraded from a 2008 Impreza, and those halogens projectors very very sharp.

·
Registered
732 Posts
^^ Those are the bulbs I have in my X-Terra - 9007s. They're freakin' awesome. Again, reflector lenses though.
GTR says they'll work in projectors (Ascent) as well. Their customer service is good (once you finally get a hold of them.)
Lifetime warranty etc.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If you upgraded your Premium or base model headlights to LED or HID, you need to “adjust” the “squirrel finder”.

Don’t necessarily have to mess with the 10mm adjustment feature that several ppl on here said.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Has anyone tried these bulbs in the Ascent yet? Wondering if the beam pattern remains the comparable to the OEM in our projector's housing.

GTR Ultra 2 series
IDK about those, but here's my post about another brand I've tried:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but does anyone know which direction for up/down adjustments? My driver's side headlight is very noticeably lower than the passenger side.

I have LEDs if that makes any difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts