Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neither of these topics have anything to do with the other, but are 2 items I'd like to ask about:

(1) Does anyone know or has anyone found out what type/class/kind of headlamp LED bulb the Ascent uses?

(2) I've noticed what I'd consider a little more engine noise than expected. I realize it's no Bentley, but does anyone/has anyone run into this?

Cheers,

Jared

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Neither of these topics have anything to do with the other, but are 2 items I'd like to ask about:

(1) Does anyone know or has anyone found out what type/class/kind of headlamp LED bulb the Ascent uses?

(2) I've noticed what I'd consider a little more engine noise than expected. I realize it's no Bentley, but does anyone/has anyone run into this?

Cheers,

Jared
1. The manual just states to contact your local Subaru dealer for the headlights. I'd expect them to last many years, if not virtually forever. I haven't looked very closely at them, but they almost look like they can be removed. I suppose you can pop one out (if it is removable) and read the specs.

2. I believe that's an H4 Subaru thing and the Ascent's engine is relatively quiet. I became used to it with my 2012 Outback, though it was shocking at first.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've test driven the Ascent a few times and have been impressed with the muted engine noise. Has the engine noise always been like that for you or has it gotten worse over time?

·
Registered
672 Posts
2. I believe that's an H4 Subaru thing and the Ascent's engine is relatively quiet. I became used to it with my 2012 Outback, though it was shocking at first.
I've test driven the Ascent a few times and have been impressed with the muted engine noise. Has the engine noise always been like that for you or has it gotten worse over time?
@Jared_ - what vehicle(s) do you come from? What vehicles do the rest of your friends/family drive?

The biggest problem with perceived "engine noise" is that it's subjective. As you noted, coming from an isolating (comfort-biased) luxury vehicle such as some in the Bentley, Lexus, Mercedes, etc. line, yes, the Ascent will seem unrefined.

But at the same time, moving into the Ascent from an Impreza, Forester, Outback, or even Legacy (not to mention a WRX) like rockthebeef mentioned, the Ascent's cabin can seem quite serene.

Overall, zuhx's question is the one that I'd like to ask you, too: have you always noticed this engine noise, or is this a newer development?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@zuhx, I'm actually coming from a 2017 Outback 3.6R Touring. While the road/wind noise was a smidge higher in the Outback than in the Ascent, I do notice a bit more engine noise in the latter than the former. No luxury car here, I'm a Finance guy, so all about value for money IMHO; Subaru offers that in spades!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@TSiWRX & @zuhx, I noticed it from the beginning. It doesn't sound horrendous, by any means, and perhaps it can be attributed to the lower displacement, turbo 4-cylinder engine, but I was just curious if anyone else noticed that in comparison to their previous Subie. Once it gets into the higher "gears", so to speak, I notice it far less. Also, I notice it the most after a cold-start, it dissipates after the engine warms. No jerkiness or rattling, etc., just engine whine.

·
Registered
672 Posts
It could be a difference in just how it sounds: I can only compare with the H6 in my '13 Tribeca - the four in my immediate-previous vehicle, a 2.5i Outback, was considerably louder than the H6. I honestly can't remember enough about the Tribeca's engine noise to make a good comparison with the Ascent's little turbocharged 4.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts