Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I responded to a post about the "offgassing" or "pressure on sinus" around Oct 28. I bought my car on Sep 23 and I have had this migraine since Sept 27. When indoors the migraine seems better BUT within 5 minutes of being in car I get a terrible headache. I am talking the type of headache where you can't relieve it and you can't think because you are in so much pain. I was starting to think that something was very wrong with my health. THEN today I payed close attention. I got up feeling fine. I was out to have a good day finally. Got in the car at 8:20 and by 8:40 I had a terrible migraine again! :crying:I am NOW convinced it is from the car. Does anyone else have something similar happening to them? Unexplained dizziness, headache, not feeling well. Could it be a chemical or a Volatile Organic Compound. As someone else said from this forum it is sinus pain & pressure that for me turns into migraine. What do I do? Is there somewhere you can go to have the air quality in the vehicle tested? I am in the west coast of Florida. Thanks

·
Registered
978 Posts
Sensitivity to various chemicals is a very hard thing to track given its far more complicated than say allergies. Testing for allergies is a pretty complex process to to do correctly.

So you can imagine what it would take to isolate your sensitivity and what’s causing it. Your exposed to so many different things when you step out of your house into a vehicle. New vehicle parts, seats, plastics are wiped down with various treatments not to mention manufacturing oils etc that all are gassing off / evaporating in new vehicles.

I would leave all the windows down park in the garage maybe set up a fan to circulate air through to help speed the process if it’s affecting you that much.

I would swap out the cabin filter with a carbon/activated carbon treated filter. I would have a major detail done having all the sufaces wiped down with a water based simple cleaner. And see how that goes.

All new cars will have this so its not a brand thing. All manufacturers are using the same stuff due to availability and regulatory requirements etc.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Sensitivity to various chemicals is a very hard thing to track given its far more complicated than say allergies. Testing for allergies is a pretty complex process to to do correctly.

So you can imagine what it would take to isolate your sensitivity and what’s causing it. Your exposed to so many different things when you step out of your house into a vehicle. New vehicle parts, seats, plastics are wiped down with various treatments not to mention manufacturing oils etc that all are gassing off / evaporating in new vehicles.

I would leave all the windows down park in the garage maybe set up a fan to circulate air through to help speed the process if it’s affecting you that much.

I would swap out the cabin filter with a carbon/activated carbon treated filter. I would have a major detail done having all the sufaces wiped down with a water based simple cleaner. And see how that goes.

All new cars will have this so its not a brand thing. All manufacturers are using the same stuff due to availability and regulatory requirements etc.
All good advice. That new car smell many people like? That's outgassing. If you're sensitive to any of the chemicals involved you may have an allergic reaction. The good news is that it won't last forever. Follow the advice above.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.