Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've tried to download this multiple times--getting REALLY slow download speed (1.58 Mbps) and it keeps erroring out. I'm on a 300 Mbps connection (tests at that speed or higher), and have not had issues in past downloading map updates. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Try at 3am, or in a week? Or keep retrying. I think a lot of people are getting the download right now.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
540 Posts
I have noticed two operational changes with this new software (both of which I like).

First, Apple CarPlay seems to start right away when I plug the phone in. It used to just display the CarPlay icon on the Subaru's screen and I'd have to press the CarPlay button and wait for it to start. But I like that it starts it automatically when I plug the phone in. I'm much more likely to want to use CarPlay with the phone plugged in than not (and, if not, I can just press the Subaru's home button to get back out of it).

Second, when I pull the wire out of my phone when I'm done with CarPlay, the system will automatically mute itself. It used to switch back to whatever source it was on, often blaring music out of the speakers. I like that it stays on mute now.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Rel_UA.20.38.70 - Rel_UA.20.41.70
INCLUDES updates UF.20.28.70 and
addresses these additional conditions..
-Radio station information does not appear
-For 19MY NAVI models, the map data update over the air (MOTA)
is available through the mobile phone installed with STARLINK App.
For 20MY models, this function is already available from the start of
production.
- In case of over 1000 address in Phonebook, some part of
Phonebook cannot be downloaded to the Head unit
- Reading out SNS in CarPlay, the reading voice is breaking up or
incorrectly pronounced.
- On smart system equipped model, the word <Key FOB> is deleted
from the note that appears when the operation setting of Rear Gate
Unlock Button is selected. (Rear Gate equipped models only.)
- When the iPhone is disconnected while it is playing music through
CarPlay function, any music source is selected automatically (instead
of automatically changed to RADIO.)
- When an iPhone (CarPlay allowed) is connected using USB, the
system moves to CarPlay screen no matter what is set in <Auto Show
Connected Device> menu in Setting. The setting menu of <Auto
Show Connected Device> is applicable only on Android Auto.
- <Repair Facility> POI Icons are introduced on the NAVI map. See
2-1-4 for details.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,659 Posts
I updated via USB stick today successfully and will do Professor Dr. SWMBO's Forester Limited tomorrow as apparently, it's the same update.

Edit: did the update on the Forester today, too, while taking it to Costco for gas. So both vehicles updated with no issues.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey everyone, for some of you with Navigation, a new firmware update is now available for your head units.

Release Version: Rel_UA.20.41.70 NAFTA
Release Date: 2020-12-23 09:34 EST

Those of you with Navigation, and a compatible head unit, will find it here:

Thank you for providing the link and the info. My head unit just updated OTA today to: Rel_UA.20.38.70 which is confusing as I thought I was getting the latest updates OTA, but apparently not! Regardless, I got set up on the portal today and am downloading the latest.

·
Administrator
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank you for providing the link and the info. My head unit just updated OTA today to: Rel_UA.20.38.70 which is confusing as I thought I was getting the latest updates OTA, but apparently not! Regardless, I got set up on the portal today and am downloading the latest.
That version is "the most recent". Subaru runs multiple versions at the same time. I have been told that anything between Rel_UA.20.38.70 - Rel_UA.20.41.70 (inclusive) is up to date.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That version is "the most recent". Subaru runs multiple versions at the same time. I have been told that anything between Rel_UA.20.38.70 - Rel_UA.20.41.70 (inclusive) is up to date.
So....I don't need to download and install the *.41.70 ? Multiple versions? Ok, I am more confused now. (and I'm a retired IT guy).

·
Administrator
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So....I don't need to download and install the *.41.70 ? Multiple versions? Ok, I am more confused now. (and I'm a retired IT guy).
Correct, no need to update. There's a variety of different features in the Gen 3.x head units that are vehicle specific. So, as a made up example that actually happened, a subversion might come out that addresses a feature in the Outback, shortly after a major update. So, now there's a version that works fine for us (the initial version), and a newer version that has additional updates for the Outback. Either update works for us. Usually the latest makes it to the downloader. OTA updates run a little behind, so, the earlier version may make OTA.

·
Registered
605 Posts
UA.20.41.70 -- 41 includes Map update for NAV units only , Rel_UA.20.38.70 is just unit(radio) update
dealers most time will only do -unit(radio) update aka Rel_UA.20.38.70 ... takes under 5 min

you can have 38 on NAV model, but I don't think you can have 41 on NO NAV model

·
Registered
189 Posts
Stupid question...login for Map Downloader is the same as Subaru login? I keep getting an error connecting to the server.

·
Administrator
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Stupid question...login for Map Downloader is the same as Subaru login? I keep getting an error connecting to the server.
No, you have to create an account on the map downloader page. It's run by Harman Kardon.

·
Administrator
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
OTA update is being rolled out now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
UA.20.41.70 -- 41 includes Map update for NAV units only , Rel_UA.20.38.70 is just unit(radio) update
dealers most time will only do -unit(radio) update aka Rel_UA.20.38.70 ... takes under 5 min

you can have 38 on NAV model, but I don't think you can have 41 on NO NAV model
Well, I DO have a NAV model, so I could run the update. I mean, the portal asks for your VIN, so they wouldn't offer you an update that was not correct for your vehicle, right?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts