Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, for some of you with Navigation, a new firmware update is now available for your head units.

Release Version: Rel_UA.20.41.70 NAFTA
Release Date: 2020-12-23 09:34 EST

Those of you with Navigation, and a compatible head unit, will find it here:

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
105 Posts
Downloading now. Will install right after it is done downloading. I doubt there will be anything immediately noticeable, but will report back if there is. Anywhere to see the release notes? It seems the download packages are encoded so that prying eyes can't see :).

This one is less than four months after the last one, but don't know if that indicates anything.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly, no, without being able to break the encryption (sorry for my part in reporting the insecure nature of the first year's updates), there's no way I've found to peek at the release notes.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol, yep, she's on top if it. She posted in the 2019+ Ascent FB group mere minutes after I did in the bigger FB group.

...now I just need to find one of my 5 high speed USB sticks.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,199 Posts
I hope the map update fixes some of the logic as well.

Two weeks ago, I was headed from home to the Subaru dealer. I know all of the possible routes to the dealer but queued it up just because we have navigation. The dealer is north east from here. Tom Tom wanted me to get to the first intersection where I need to head east and TomTom had me head West. OK, I'll play. It had me head 4 miles west, make a U-turn and pass the intersection where it had me turn West so now I'm heading east like I should have in the first place. The road I'm on is parallel to the road the dealer is on and I'll have to turn north a couple of miles ahead to get onto the road the dealer's on. There are multiple streets I can turn north, TomTom had me pass all of them by about a half mile and then had me turn right (South), then another right (West) backtracking to the cross street i needed, then right again (north) on the street I would have turned north on in the first place. Needless to say, zero confidence in TomTom navigation.

FYI, I owned a standalone TomTom GPS a long time ago and they haven't improved. If Google maps ever gets a native infotainment implementation,TomTom will be out of business.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't tried yet. Will, later.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
105 Posts
Just finished the install (USB), and ... can't see anything different.

I was hoping all of my wishes would have come true. :) I was hoping to see wireless android auto (yeah, I know, it's probably more hardware than software preventing that.) I was also hoping for an improved/advanced EQ ... but nope.

Oh well, at least whatever fixes they applied are now running on my Ascent and I am up to date.

·
Registered
584 Posts
lol, yep, she's on top if it. She posted in the 2019+ Ascent FB group mere minutes after I did in the bigger FB group.

...now I just need to find one of my 5 high speed USB sticks.
I've not seen yours show up in the other one. It's not in my Notifications either. I did tag you there with a couple of questions others were asking.

Robert - I'm not seeing your post on either of the two other sites. Just went back and relooked.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've not seen yours show up in the other one. It's not in my Notifications either. I did tag you there with a couple of questions others were asking.

Robert - I'm not seeing your post on either of the two other sites. Just went back and relooked.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
105 Posts
How long did it take? To USB and to Unit?
I have a SanDisk Cruzer 32GB USB drive and it has worked with 2 previous updates. The ONLY issue I have with the USB prep is that I must make sure my computer screen is active. Yes, I know it says not to let your computer go into sleep mode, or hibernate ... and mine does NOT do that when connected to its power supply. But, every time I would walk away during the USB prep (not the download) and let the screen turn off, the USB prep would pause and I would have to abort it.. I eventually just moved the mouse every few minutes and it progressed along just fine.

The download is obviously dependent on you internet speeds. It's 12+GB, so it's not small. Once the download was complete, the USB prep took around 15-20 minutes when it worked successfully (see above).

The install in the car itself was right around 25-30 minutes. Left the car running in the driveway and checked on it every 5-10 minutes. When you see the message that your system already has the latest version, click the option to NOT install it again and remove the USB. You're done.

One note: On step 8 of 9, it will look like it is hung at 88% (or around there) for nearly 5 minutes. Just leave it alone and it will finish.

·
Super Moderator
4,231 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,199 Posts
Units it's going to offer wireless Android auto, it's a waste of time

You'll need something like this.⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆

·
Super Moderator
4,231 Posts
Forum split my text and the link.
You'll need something like this.⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆
But don't buy one until the specific unit you are interested in is demonstrated as tested to work in Subaru...they are NOT universal it seems when you look into things more closely.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just curious...did this work for anyone via WiFi? Or is it mandatory to use a USB stick to do this? (I have never used a USB stick on my previous upgrades, so not sure how they work).
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts