Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering an Ascent. Read the nightmare reviews about transmissions. Have they been corrected for 2020s? Have there been enough Ascents sold that the transmission problems would be considered statistically small or somewhat rare? thanks

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,851 Posts
It's a 10 year old transmission design...not "new"...and as packout says, out of the 100K Ascents sold to-date, very few have had "transmission" issues.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Banned
85 Posts
Please don't believe these posts because none of them are backed up w actual figures. While it may hopefully be a small group it also many not be a small number. Until someone on here actually gives the exact figures don't drink the Koolaid.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Please don't believe these posts because none of them are backed up w actual figures. While it may hopefully be a small group it also many not be a small number. Until someone on here actually gives the exact figures don't drink the Koolaid.
This is really a non-issue. All transmission problems reagrdless of how many have been taken care of by Subaru under the warranty. The repairs/replacements have worked per reports by owners. That is all that is really important. Never did like koolaid

·
Banned
85 Posts
A previous post in this thread that it was "statistically small" and offered no data to support the claim. Now it's a non issue because they are repaired. Of course they were repaired the car is under warranty. That is not what people are asking on the forum. And even if it is under warranty consumers do not want the hassle of driving back and forth to the dealer (which for some buyers can be an hour drive) , getting a loaner, waiting while the transmission is ordered, shipped, arrives, and is repaired. And as one poster's story went they especially don't want issues happening while on vacation. They are asking about transmission problems probably to avoid the hassle regardless if its under warranty and want to know was it corrected. People should not respond w statements such as it is very small and offer no evidence at all of the exact number of cars involved. If there is no data to offer don't respond. If there is data report it to the person asking so they may make an informed decision based on objective data.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
We've went over the statistics many times, and some of us have a better handle on these numbers than others. We have also been tracking affected build months.

And, again, don't be insulting of others.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
A previous post in this thread that it was "statistically small" and offered no data to support the claim. Now it's a non issue because they are repaired. Of course they were repaired the car is under warranty. That is not what people are asking on the forum. And even if it is under warranty consumers do not want the hassle of driving back and forth to the dealer (which for some buyers can be an hour drive) , getting a loaner, waiting while the transmission is ordered, shipped, arrives, and is repaired. And as one poster's story went they especially don't want issues happening while on vacation. They are asking about transmission problems probably to avoid the hassle regardless if its under warranty and want to know was it corrected. People should not respond w statements such as it is very small and offer no evidence at all of the exact number of cars involved. If there is no data to offer don't respond. If there is data report it to the person asking so they may make an informed decision based on objective data.
If you prefer additional data then I suggest you gather it. I believe the data presented is sufficient for most on this forum to have confidence in both the 2020 and any warranty work on the 2019. This is also evidenced by the sales numbers for the Ascents.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
What may I ask is the build date and trim level on your Ascent? Have you personally had any transmission problems? If so, what was your experience with SOA managing them? What were the last three vehicles you owned?

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Ok, to get back on topic...

One user had a bad experience with her CVT (it was one of the first failures) which precipitated a thread that's well over a thousand posts long. Half of the posts are hers, and most of the rest are people chatting back with her. That skews perceptions when all one sees are a thousand posts about CVT issues.

This forum accounts for about 5% of all Ascents sold. That's a decent sample size.

There's a spreadsheet with failure information. You can find the link to that in the forums too.

You will see that the vast majority (90%+) of failures are August to November 2018 builds for the 2019 model year.

You will also find that a dominant cause is a faulty harness - not the CVT (the CVT gets damaged because of the harness issues).

I do Information Systems work, social media, networking and cybersecurity, and I can tell you that in general, problem posts are ten times more representative than praise, which skews the numbers. Other experts agree.

NOT taking that into account and just using the raw numbers means that a fraction of a percent of people, 90% of which had a car built in the time frame I mentioned above, have had "CVT" (harness or otherwise) issues.

Taking that phenomenon into account, and the number drops even more.

Do I know something more than that? Perhaps.

But regardless, I also know enough to teach anyone how to take apart and rebuild a TR690... and, as you can see from my adventures (click on the link in my sig to my Facebook page), I am fully trusting the design and put my Ascent through faaaaar more abuse than I expect you or 99.9% of other Ascent owners ever will.

I just passed 43,000 miles last night (ignore my tire pressure, I have big beefy all terrains that require more air).

My car is a great indicator of what the ten year old TR690 design can do.

REGARDLESS: You must decide what's right for you. Read the forums and double check everything I said. Research the other owners adventures who abuse their Ascents like I do.

·
Banned
85 Posts
My Ascent's build date is irrelevant to this thread. I do not need to gather data. I am not one of the posters on here that continues to tell people it's a small number. I hope it is. However, unless anyone knows exactly the number of consumers that have had issues and until they release those numbers NO ONE should be responding w "it's a small number" when you do not know the number. Until then a logical response would be:

Review competitors. Read forums. Read several reviews to see if here is consistency in what they all find.

Go over to Edmunds and read their review of the Ascent. IMO it is the most accurate review (make sure you open up and expand all the sections) that very nicely identifies the pro's and cons of the car. Read their comments on the CVT, cabin noise, ride quality, seat comfort etc. Then if you have time youtube reviewers such as Alex on Autos and Redline are pretty good at going over a car. Also Redline does a comparison of the Ascent w other three rows SUV's.

But please do not believe people making a claim w/o providing data.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Edmunds? Lol. A car that's sold 46,000 has almost 60 reviews for the car you love to mention, compared to the Ascent's 12 reviews for 100,000 cars. How many of those nearly 60 do you think are real?

I am curious why you spend so much time in various threads talk about how terrible the Ascent is, with nothing to back it up, while simultaneously extolling how great another particular brand is that has had fake posts and reviews in this very forum.

It's interesting how you (sometimes insultingly) put down other's opinions on the Ascent, and then hand pick what supports your opinion.

But please do not believe people making a claim w/o providing data.
You're also using a double standard when it comes to reliability and problems. The competitor you like to mention has had quite a few, including needing to recall every single car built through mid August. Even with exact and published data, that didn't matter to you. Odd.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i am following this line with great interest, since my 2019 just went in for trans r&r last week. can there be an expansion on the issue with he harness possibly causing trans failures? i would like to find out more; if there if a more specific thread, could someone show a link for it? i was just told by the serv mgr that the transmissions are back-ordered nationally, and my dlr can not even get one before the end of nov. would like to be able to quiz them about cause and effect specifics whenever my ride is repaired. the symptoms did definitely act as if it was a ecu or wiring problem causing the trans to meltdown. also makes me wonder if i'll get a 2020 replacement? thanks all.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Considering an Ascent. Read the nightmare reviews about transmissions. Have they been corrected for 2020s? Have there been enough Ascents sold that the transmission problems would be considered statistically small or somewhat rare? thanks
Greetings,
I can't help but notice that the original question has not been answered. Did Subaru change something for the 2020s (and the later 2019s) that should have fixed at least one of the problems sometimes seen on the early build 2019s? I assume a change was made to correct the faulty harness. What about the "otherwise?"

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Greetings,
I can't help but notice that the original question has not been answered. Did Subaru change something for the 2020s (and the later 2019s) that should have fixed at least one of the problems sometimes seen on the early build 2019s? I assume a change was made to correct the faulty harness. What about the "otherwise?"
If I were to guess about the harnesses, which I wouldn't, I'd presume a vendor was taken to task for failing harnesses. So, I don't see any reason why anything would need to change about the harnesses - except the vendor's quality control. And, that's not even something that can be tested during building the car, because, as we've all seen, it takes thousands to tens of thousands of miles for problems to show up - I'd be a little upset if my car got to me with 12,000 miles already on the odometer. :ROFLMAO: :(

But, I'd rather not guess, especially since there's been no public announcement about it - just what we know from the cars that were repaired.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i am following this line with great interest, since my 2019 just went in for trans r&r last week. can there be an expansion on the issue with he harness possibly causing trans failures? i would like to find out more; if there if a more specific thread, could someone show a link for it? i was just told by the serv mgr that the transmissions are back-ordered nationally, and my dlr can not even get one before the end of nov. would like to be able to quiz them about cause and effect specifics whenever my ride is repaired. the symptoms did definitely act as if it was a ecu or wiring problem causing the trans to meltdown. also makes me wonder if i'll get a 2020 replacement? thanks all.
Sorry about your troubles. Do you mind sharing the build date and the mileage? There is a recent post on another thread from someone with a September 2018 build that just ran into problems while still short of 10k miles.

As Robert notes, builds between August and November 2018 seem to have accounted for most of the problems. If the reasons for this are known, it might help alleviate some of the fears expressed by prospective buyers and current owners outside of this window who feel the Sword of Damacles hanging overhead until reaching 10k miles. (bonus points for the classical reference?)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Actually, these opinions are backed up with actual figures. Several other threads have analyzed what we know about the situation. There's a spreadsheet tracking issues. There are many posts about it. There is a correlation between the number of issues reported here on the forums and the number of trouble free users here on the forums.

We do have data in the spreadsheet that limits most of the problems to the fall 2018 build dates. There are some outside of those dates, but the bell curve of problems is focused around that range of dates.

Many of us who care a lot about this problem have checked into it. I love my Ascent and have recommended it to many people now..... and several are planning a future purchase. But before I did that I did make sure as much as I could that there isn't a systemic problem that I happened to miss. I'm currently at 25k miles with 3,600 of that doing heavy towing. I think I'm lucky as I took possession in Sept 2018 so right in the danger zone.

The only thing we DON'T have are the actual numbers from Subaru.

So to answer the OP: As far as we can tell, the problems with the transmission have been resolved, so that the number of bad trannies has dropped down to a normal failure rate for new cars. Every brand has bad apples roll off the assembly line. It appears that the new trannies no longer have a statistically significant failure rate.

·
Registered
298 Posts
So to answer the OP: As far as we can tell, the problems with the transmission have been resolved, so that the number of bad trannies has dropped down to a normal failure rate for new cars. Every brand has bad apples roll off the assembly line. It appears that the new trannies no longer have a statistically significant failure rate.
I hope you are right, but I think it is still too early to tell. I am also on the Crosstrek forum (I own a 2018), and don't recall seeing a single CVT failure reported (on 18+ models). And Subaru extended the warranty 10 years on those. I haven't seen that yet with the Ascent.

I also own a Hyundai EV, and on their forums see regular DCT trannie replacements on their non-EV models. Plus lots of complaints about jerky operations. I took one for a test ride some time ago, and also noticed the jerkiness at slow speeds. Very different than my silky smooth Crosstrek CVT. That thing sure punches above its weight class, and is by far the best vehicle I ever owned (and my 4th Subie).

I sure wish they would get to the bottom of what is/has caused these Ascent CVT failures. I still very much like the vehicle, but am not yet ready to buy one.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
I hope you are right, but I think it is still too early to tell. I am also on the Crosstrek forum (I own a 2018), and don't recall seeing a single CVT failure reported (on 18+ models). And Subaru extended the warranty 10 years on those. I haven't seen that yet with the Ascent.
Different CVT, different harness, different torque converter, different programming, different engine. ;)

But, the one thing I am confident of, is that if they do conclude there's an issue, they'll fix it (likely a vendor part?) and extend warranties as necessary, just like with the TR580 you reference.

Regardless, wait until you're comfortable. A CVT operates differently than an automatic, and, there's already a bunch of people freaking out about normal CVT operation because it's new to them. And, there's others who are asking "is this normal for my CVT?" before they start to worry (please folks, ask first, before you get worried).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts