Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone manage this feat yet?

I was graciously given a Lifetime Kodiak 130 Canoe.

I have never hauled anything on the roof the Ascent and honestly i'm afraid to, mostly because the canoe is heavy to lift above roof, and I'd like to avoid damaging the pain in this process.

I have the factory rails (not the thule ones) and would be getting a canoe tie down kit from amazon; Are there any tips?

·
Super Moderator
2,419 Posts
If you’ve got 2-3 people to lift it up there you should be fine. Once it’s on the roof rack you don’t need to worry about the paint anymore. However, be very careful not to bump the body or roof on the way up. I gave mine a nice dent that cost me $125 to have pulled out when I bumped it with my kayak that weighs less than 50lb

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think Rhino says 75 lbs. I'm not sure. I used for for a few years and loved it. I have hullavators now but I'm pretty sure they don't work on canoes. The folks at Rhino are really good with customer service, a quick email will get you the weight spec. And remember, you're never putting all the weight on the side loader, half is on the ground or in your hands. You will need some sort of way to attach the side loader to your cross bars, you'll have to play around with that to get that part to work. But I really recommend the device.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts