Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I know a lot of people recommend the Hatch Catch to fix the battery drain issue with the rear lift gate. I’m supposed to be taking delivery of my ascent next week, so I went to look for the Hatch Catch and found it was no longer available. I messaged the seller and this was his response. Just figured I would share this info in case anyone else was planning on buying one!

·
Administrator
8,303 Posts
2021 Subaru Ascent has the newest gate controller, which should cut liftgate power use in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
True to what Robert said but to add more color:

1) A TSB has been issued for the rear gate controller, the piece that arbitrates what voltage is needed for how long. Affecting model year 2019 and some of 2020 (but presumably fixed for the 2021 builds), the new controller will drop the amps it draws (~4Amps) down to a < 1Amp after 20 minutes of the rear hatch being up. To be sure, there is a class action suit about the battery situation and that is tied to Ascent and other Subaru's but doesn't include 2021 Ascent.

2) Another way to make this more efficient is pull and put back the #14 fuse then get a carabiner and slot it into the rear lift and manually lower it to near close then let it open on it's own and that's supposed to cut the time from 20min to 2min for the car to drop it's amp pull. Not for the DIY-shy.

3) Third and likely best way to go now on a 2021 Ascent is to get the 550 Cold-Crank-Amp Odyssey 1400T battery at Autozone or other provider (e.g., Speedway) - retail is a hair under $300. Then replace your Subaru provided battery with that one (Youtube videos are helpful - 15 minutes) or just pay Subaru to do it or AutoZone might do it free for buying there. That's an increase from 330 cold-crank amps to 550, and Subaru's battery is a 3-5 year battery while Odyssey is 5-10 years and if you plan to have the rear open for any extended time, that's where you won't sweat it with a nice AMG battery in place.

Reactions: latapx and lians60

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi everyone! I know a lot of people recommend the Hatch Catch to fix the battery drain issue with the rear lift gate. I’m supposed to be taking delivery of my ascent next week, so I went to look for the Hatch Catch and found it was no longer available. I messaged the seller and this was his response. Just figured I would share this info in case anyone else was planning on buying one! View attachment 6022
You can also let Nick Blackman know that as long as he doesn't use Subaru in the name of his device, but reference that it fits vehicles by make/model and shows Subaru and Ascent and puts in a TM after Subaru with a footnote that the Subaru name is trademarked by Fuji and Subaru of America then he is properly using their trademark and can resume sales.

·
Registered
575 Posts
A recall should be issued because not every owner is on this forum or are aware of this problem ...C’mon Subaru.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is there an easy way for a consumer to measure the power draw? I took delivery of a 2020 Ascent in late summer.

·
Administrator
8,303 Posts
Yes, get a DC clamping meter, clamp it around the negative cable (doesn't fit well around all of the positive cables), zero it. Open the liftgate. Draw should jump to about 4 amps. Come back in 20 minutes, no FOBs. It should drop to a fraction of an amp.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yep. New controller has fixed mine. Prior, I used a mini carabiner in the latch. Anything similar will work, but should not be needed with the new controller, which came factory installed starting sometime early into the '20 model year.

Here's one of many DC clamping ammeters on Amazon that will work for determining battery drain:

·
Administrator
8,303 Posts
That's the one I used.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Should I test this myself or can I safely assume that my 2019 has parasitic draw when the hatch is open for longer than 20 minutes? If my 2019 has this issue, then I'd like to have it fixed before my warranty is up in about 10 months/8k miles.

·
Administrator
8,303 Posts
You can test it yourself to confirm. The meter above that Merope and I use, is a good multipurpose meter, and under $40. Or you can choose to not do anything if your needs don't warrant it. I am considering some car camping, which will require the liftgate being open for hours, so, mine is being diagnosed on November 23rd, and then replaced (when they confirm what I've already tested).

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can test it yourself to confirm. The meter above that Merope and I use, is a good multipurpose meter, and under $40. Or you can choose to not do anything if your needs don't warrant it. I am considering some car camping, which will require the liftgate being open for hours, so, mine is being diagnosed on November 23rd, and then replaced (when they confirm what I've already tested).
To be sure, Robert, did you already swap out the battery for an Odyssey or other make?

·
Administrator
8,303 Posts
I am currently running the Northstar 24F (for roughly 10,000 miles, IIRC)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does anyone know how to find out when Subaru started using the New Controller? By Serial No. or build date?

·
Administrator
8,303 Posts
Best way is to call your dealership and have them check. Easiest way (if you have access to a DC clamping meter and a location you can leave your liftgate open for 25 minutes) is to test.

·
Registered
82 Posts
840 CCA! Nice for camping! I ordered the Odyssey (similar) 1400T

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
8,303 Posts
Yep, exactly one of the reasons I got it - camping (specifically for running the Dometic fridge I plan on getting next).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
FWIW: CCA spec (Cold Cranking Amps) is not directly related to use for long-term lower amp drain. A battery's "Reserve Capacity" is a more relevant specification for running accessories, lights, and such. That said, they do tend to correlate for batteries of the same type. They can be different between flooded, AGM, and other types.

·
Registered
82 Posts
FWIW: CCA spec (Cold Cranking Amps) is not directly related to use for long-term lower amp drain. A battery's "Reserve Capacity" is a more relevant specification for running accessories, lights, and such. That said, they do tend to correlate for batteries of the same type. They can be different between flooded, AGM, and other types.
Agreed and correct.

FWIW, I ordered from Autozone 2 days ago and it just arrived: Odyssey 1400T and picking up the Ascent tonight so will have a dealership closer to me (avoided it for sales push and bought ~25 miles away) install it in a few weeks.

I'm a bit more concerned on the tires being low profile as we drive in on a gravel alley and looking into the tires/wheels side of this forum there now.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 20 of 36 Posts