Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Has your dealer damaged your Ascent?

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  denissh 
#1 ·
I had my dealer replace defective tail lights on the rear lift gate and it appears they had no instruction manual to tell them how to get the old ones out. So the technician used some kind of prying tool. Upon first wash after the repair I find paint scratches all along the bottom of the tail lights and on one side two tiny dimples (dents).

Second issue the inside black interior panel was loose at the the back door opening so that part was ordered. It is about 3+ feet wide. When the replacement was attempted the next morning I went to check on the repair and see that everything from the 3rd row seats back has been removed and a new panel is being attached. Tech said he was putting it back together. There was a crack in the panel from either the factory or perhaps getting bent when fitting. I pointed out the flaw and a new panel was ordered. The original issue issue was a clip on the rear of the panel that could not be secured well enough to hold the panel tight without the chance of it getting loose again.

I love my Ascent but I think some of the parts are a little to cheaply made. And I do not think the dealer has a repair manual yet.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have not experienced this. And I've had those panels off. Really not cheaply made you just have to go slow. Sounds like they don't have the proper tools either.

#3 ·
Sounds more like some poor training for the technician that did the work. I've never had this kind of thing happen with dealer service from any dealer/brand, to-date.

#4 ·
No direct damage, but...

--they did the worst wax job ever, which led to scratches all over the vehicle at a carwash
--the parked her on an incline and didnt set the parking brake

thankfully theres another dealer in town and i'll be going there instead

#6 ·
Heck no. As a matter of fact, with the 5mm of caliper clearance I have on my front rims, I am very careful where I take my car. So far, never a scratch on rims or anywhere else.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

#7 ·
Sorry...

DavidMichael is a fake bot/phishing account located in India. Sorry it took me 6 posts and a few hours to catch on to it. He is no longer with us... :grin:

Attachments

#8 ·
More damage, but they are really nice about it!

So took my pretty Red Ascent in to have the damage repaired from having the tail lights replaced. They did a good job and almost completely fixed the dimples from the removal tool. The fellow I talked too confirmed that they have no repair book for the car yet so removing the tail lights was a guessing game.

Somewhere along the day and a half process someone push a tool cart or something in to the passenger rear door. Now I've got a new 6 inch crease and a few dimples. It seems even the lightest of touches easily warps the sheet metal in this Subaru. 3 dings in 6 months versus no dings in 13 years on my last car.

#9 · (Edited)
So took my pretty Red Ascent in to have the damage repaired from having the tail lights replaced. They did a good job and almost completely fixed the dimples from the removal tool. The fellow I talked too confirmed that they have no repair book for the car yet so removing the tail lights was a guessing game.

Just a comment re the work done on your car: Some Subaru stores don't have an on-site body shop, so your repairs might have been done by a mechanical tech whose expertise is not mainly with body parts and repairs. Maybe that's what happened in your case.

I agree with your observations about the quality of the parts, t but it's not just Subaru, the modern car has lots of flimsy plastic pieces and little clips and it's a wonder that it holds together. An experienced repair tech knows how to do this but a less knowledgeable one breaks things and scratches stuff up and can't quite get it all to fit together right.

That said, the repairs you are describing are not rocket science and the shop does not need a book of step by step instructions to figure them out, they just need a qualified tech. Seems for some reason they did not have one or did not assign one to your job. Above all they shouldn't IMO need you to come back to give them a second try to fix damage they've done because they didn't know how to do it correctly the first time through. That's what I would tell Subaru on the evaluation form too. In addition to telling them about the other damage that was done to your care while it was in the dealer's shop.

#11 ·

Somewhere along the day and a half process someone push a tool cart or something in to the passenger rear door. Now I've got a new 6 inch crease and a few dimples. It seems even the lightest of touches easily warps the sheet metal in this Subaru. 3 dings in 6 months versus no dings in 13 years on my last car.
They don't need book

Subaru dealers have access/ Subscription to
https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.