Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the hype about this new SUV has it delivered? I expected to be more upscale than it is. Even though I have a premium model I don't see as the flagship even in touring trim. Build quality while good is Impreza plus IMO. For a new engine that will be used in many applications I think it needs to be a bit more refined. The revised CVT needs some refinement also. Ride quality is excellent but could be better damped to cut down on suspension noise. Expect for a inaccurate TPMS readout I have zero problems so far which is a plus for a brand new model. Subaru has had several years to think about the Ascent and while I think they did a good job it just seems rushed in a couple of areas. Perhaps for the MMC they will address some of those issues. Will the next Outback be the real flagship?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Compared to my 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT it is much better. The cabin is quiet. The power is robust. The ride is smooth. The space is great (obviously). The body is more rigid. I would expect the same when the new Outback comes out. If it ends up looking great, I'd have a smidge of buyer's remorse. Judging from spy shots of the new Legacy, I don't think I have anything to worry about.

I get 10% less MPG than I personally expected, based on what I normally get compared to EPA estimates. It must be the turbo and its front loaded power curve.

My TPMS matches my handheld gauge exactly.

I still love the my Ascent. It's thoroughly modern and competitive, which is all you can ask for in the present time. I'm sure the mid-cycle refresh will bring some nice updates, but that's how the story goes. I'm enjoying what I got. The cycle continues... I'm excited to get into an electric vehicle when they become more mainstream. The new Audi E-Tron looks like a sweet ride.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Compared to my 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT it is much better. The cabin is quiet. The power is robust. The ride is smooth. The space is great (obviously). The body is more rigid. I would expect the same when the new Outback comes out. If it ends up looking great, I'd have a smidge of buyer's remorse. Judging from spy shots of the new Legacy, I don't think I have anything to worry about.

I get 10% less MPG than I personally expected, based on what I normally get compared to EPA estimates. It must be the turbo and its front loaded power curve.

My TPMS matches my handheld gauge exactly.

I still love the my Ascent. It's thoroughly modern and competitive, which is all you can ask for in the present time. I'm sure the mid-cycle refresh will bring some nice updates, but that's how the story goes. I'm enjoying what I got. The cycle continues... I'm excited to get into an electric vehicle when they become more mainstream. The new Audi E-Tron looks like a sweet ride.
Thanks for your comments. And yes compared to a 12 Outback it should be better in every way. I had a 10 and thought it was a fantastic car when it came out and bought a 16 limited and in was a step up in every way. The Ascent is on par with my prior 16 except it is a stiffer thanks to the SGP platform and has more power. It is not as comfortable overall . I looked at the Tesla P3 and liked it

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I like it and it exceeded most of my expectations. I wife drives a 2016 Forester and Ascent seems more quiet ride. I have a Limited and the leather trim (eg dash and door) is quite over the top for the price, as I noted here. Also the Limited has the extendable thigh support which is quite unique to BMW.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Love Ascent

My Ascent Touring has 2000 miles and I love it. Traded my 16 Outback Touring for added space and power. I’ve had no issues. I test drove one on a Friday and it got sold on Saturday. That one had the noticeable, exaggerated and faux transmission shifting. Two days later my dealer found an identical model, without the exaggerated shifting.

I’m looking forward to continued good service. If you’re looking for a great Subaru come to New Bern, NC and Riverside Subaru meet your needs. You won’t go wrong.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would say it's exceeded everything outside of 2 categories.

Not into the shifting CVT; and option to switch back and forth should have been standard.

The fob is so easy to accidentally press when in your pocket. I did not have this issue with my BRZ.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, I love my Ascent! I had a very specific list of wants and needs in my next vehicle purchase, that were mostly driven by having 3 children and longer commute. 8 passengers was a must have for us, we felt limited with our Explorer only being 7 passengers. The Ascent didn't replace the Explorer. After that I wanted basic convince features, key less entry, push to start, automatic lift gate, and 3rd row access that didn't involve needing to fold the 2nd row. I wanted some ADAS features, but that was very much a want not a need. I did a ton of research, testing driving, and cost comparisons, the Ascent was hands down the winner for us.

So basically I am just your average soccer mom, that wanted enough seatbelts for my children and a friend or 2. I also did not want a minivan or large GM SUV.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I did, I got it from Colorado, pass by Arches NP in Utah. 2nd trip to Kings, Sequoia, Yosemite, SF..., 3rd trip to Grand Canyon and Page. Always drive 3 to 8 persons. It's great.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
My Ascent is amazing. I get 24 mpg and a smooth ride compared to my 2006 GMC 3500 4wd pickup. The eye sight system is truly amazing. Subaru has perfected the ACC don’t know if I would want to drive without it now. I suspect that there must be some sort of magic in there. There is enough room for my 6’7” body to be comfortable. There are minor things that I would like to be better but I think the Ascent is a far better SUV than all the others that I looked at. Overall I’m very happy with it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It is nicer than all of the other Subarus we've owned. But compared to other, higher-end SUVs, just a couple issues. I wish the seat were more comfortable. They are MUCH better than all of the other Subarus, but it could be a bit softer and more supportive. (Seat comfort has always been a Subaru weakness.) Our Touring is designed for long rides; the seats, not so much. Second, the engine compartment could be quieter. I'm not listening for the throaty, fire-belching sounds from the twin Thrush mufflers and the 462hp, 4-barrel carb (oops...that was from a different life). I want power AND quiet (which was also from a 462hp, 4-barrel Lincoln Continental of the late '60s, which seemed to run almost silently). This engine makes that iconic Subaru engine sound; I just wish it made it a bit QUIETER. I don't know how some automakers insulate their passenger compartments so well from engine noise, but the Ascent could use some more of it.

Other than that, it is quite a vehicle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was also surprised by the motor noise....I thought there was an air leak somewhere and I had the oil changed at 2500 miles by the dealer.

FYI...At around 4800 miles the motor must have broken in....runs noticeably quieter than before.

I really like the Ascent...

My only complaints would be the radio on thing and I would like better gas mileage...which I know has a lot to do with how I drive.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was also surprised by the motor noise....I thought there was an air leak somewhere and I had the oil changed at 2500 miles by the dealer.

FYI...At around 4800 miles the motor must have broken in....runs noticeably quieter than before.

I really like the Ascent...

My only complaints would be the radio on thing and I would like better gas mileage...which I know has a lot to do with how I drive.
Is there not a firmware fixed for the radio...i thought the dealer could just plug-in a USD drive to upload the fix???

·
Registered
227 Posts
Overall I am happy with it. I don't think it exceeded my expectations, but definitely met them. This is the first car that gave me everything I wanted in terms of accessories features, without forcing me to jump into the highest trim level or tack on random garbage that I would never use. All the other brands, bundled in multiple features bumping the price up by $2500-3000. The Ascent felt more like an Ala-cart approach to many items which was really nice.

Coming from a Chrysler/Dodge product this was a nice change. The quality feels better and it seems Subaru stands by their product much more. There are minor things that annoy me about the car, but none of it is a game changer. As a whole I think they did a great job with the car and I am hoping for 10 years 100,000 miles of reliable driving.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It has met and exceeded my expectations although it is our first Subaru. I say this having test driven 8 other vehicles, all SUV’s /wagons while shopping for a new vehicle. Tested Outback 3.6 R, Lexus RX350, Mazda CX-9, Acura MDX, Honda Pilot, Ford Flex, Audi Allroad and VW Altas. The most upscale were Lexus and Acura but $10k (at least) more than the Touring and the Acura MDX took a big drop in Quality from Consumer Reports owner ratings. We love our 2007 Lexus but it’s too small even the RXL. The Atlas was our second choice in features and handling but VW reliability was a big question. The CX9 was nicely done but the turbo 4 was loud and the front passenger area was tight and the AC system was inadequate. The legroom for the driver on the Pilot was insufficient for me and the Elite level was pricy. Liked the Flex but it’s gone after 2020 and we keep vehicles a long time. The Allroad was too small. The Outback was very nice and roomy for it’s size but we wanted a little larger vehicle. Some, like the Audi Q7 we had to eliminate because my wife at 5’2” could not easily get in and cannot deal with running boards. The reliability of BMW and Mercedes was a reason for eliminating them; most expensive, least reliable....no thanks. I have no issue with the Ascent’s pickup, acceleration and torque and the shifting CVT isn’t a concern. The manual mode/paddle shifters I find a lot of fun. I like the Touring features and found a lot of value for the dollar. I found it fairly upscale but that’s subjective. The carpeting appears cheap and folding mirrors are a glaring absence at this dollar level. I like the seating firmness but that again is a personal preference and our Volvos and Mercedes had definitely firm seats. Time will tell if the first new vehicle from Subaru in years holds up well or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I waited for quite some time and drove the Pilot, Highlander and others and for the money, I think the Ascent delivers. Very enjoyable to drive. If you want something a little peppier then you'll have to spend the extra 20 - 30K and go German and also the big bills at the dealership garage as I got rid of my Audi Q7 when I got the Ascent.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I test drove the Ascent wanting to dislike it, especially for the the option to do a Turbo H4 instead of the H6.

It met and surpassed all my expectations. People that read this bulletin board should remember that unless you have a problem or you're a passionate enthusiast, your average user doesn't create a bulletin board account to talk about their Subie.

The Ascent is wonderful. I went with a Forester recently because it drove like a Mini Ascent!

I love it a lot more than my 2016 Honda Pilot that my wife drives - especially the handling.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As someone who has only seen it on a showroom floor, the main thing I'd comment on is the size. The hype was all about how huge it would be, and it's...not. Yeah, they got a third seat in there, but the actual volume isn't all that different, and now Subaru has three different models all in basically the same size range just in slightly different proportions and configurations, which is a little odd. I supposed it's huge for Japan, but very much mid-size for North America.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I test drove the Ascent wanting to dislike it, especially for the the option to do a Turbo H4 instead of the H6.

It met and surpassed all my expectations. People that read this bulletin board should remember that unless you have a problem or you're a passionate enthusiast, your average user doesn't create a bulletin board account to talk about their Subie.

The Ascent is wonderful. I went with a Forester recently because it drove like a Mini Ascent!

I love it a lot more than my 2016 Honda Pilot that my wife drives - especially the handling.
The Forester drove like a small Ascent because its on the SGP. Even my new Impreza has a very familiar feel. Same with the interiors. Subaru needs to change it up. At least give each model it's own unique interior. I have a feeling the next Outback will be the same especially in 2.5 configuration.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Our last 3 vehicles for the wife (and me, part time) have been an 08 Acadia SLT, an 11 Acadia Denali and a 17 Acadia Denali (the new design and size). We are retired senior citizens who love to take some of our 8 grandkids with us on occasion, never all at once as we still have our mental faculties mostly intact. Thus the reason we like the mid sized, 3 row SUV's as they give better value and economy than the large truck based models. Safety is our top issue and after a ton of research it seems Subaru has a pretty good grip on it.

We've only had our Ascent Touring since last Saturday and have put about 300 miles on it. I will say coming from the 17 Acadia for the wife and a 17 Ford truck for me, both with all the latest safety features offered in those models, the learning curve has still been a little high. Learning all the switch and screen functions has been a bit overwhelming but we are getting there. Even though the Acadia was equipped with good safety features the Ascent has more for less money. The Acadia stickered for over $51K when we bought it in 16. The Ascent MSRP was $46,714. I think the luxury feel is on par if not better than the Acadia. We've never owned what I guess would be a top line luxury vehicle like Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Lincoln, Cadillac, etc., so the comparison may not be good but we think the Touring model delivers in that department.

The driving experience has bee very pleasing. We like the ride, the quiet cabin, the quiet tires, the handling, the spaciousness, which is about on par with our 08 and 11 Acadia's, and the amazing power from the 4 cylinder turbo. Gas mileage appears it will be a little less than the 17 Acadia but time will tell. The quality of how things are put together appears to be very good also.

Maybe in a year I will come back and update this. I just hope nothing changes our first impressions.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts