Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subaru IMO has been on a roll since the into of the 2010 Outback. Every model update seems to move Subaru closer to the competition. Now with the model range moving to the SGP platform has Subaru peaked? Rumor has it all engines(- Ascent) will go to small displacement turbo's in the next 2 years. Nobody can stay on top forever. Honda had it's glory days in the 80's and early 90's

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would say as a industry direction.
Can you elaborate?

Based on my day at the track the Ascent is faster than the CVT turbo foresters by a full second even being what 1000-1500lbs heavier. Subaru seems to be just taking strides it can be confident in. They've been growing in sales for how many consecutive months now?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me try again- From a product , design and quality standpoint. Of course they will make baby steps with some things but overall have they reached there top for now. Even with the Toyota influence they still are a small company with limited resources. Do you see them keeping sedans around or focusing on SUV's. Will they add any more models on top of the Ascent? Is a turbo Crosstrek possible with this gen or next? There designs have been kind of boring imo although I do like the Impreza 5-door. Quality control I think has to be refined, there are still to many small details that are rough around the edges

·
Registered
646 Posts
Let me try again- From a product , design and quality standpoint. Of course they will make baby steps with some things but overall have they reached there top for now. Even with the Toyota influence they still are a small company with limited resources. Do you see them keeping sedans around or focusing on SUV's. Will they add any more models on top of the Ascent? Is a turbo Crosstrek possible with this gen or next? There designs have been kind of boring imo although I do like the Impreza 5-door. Quality control I think has to be refined, there are still to many small details that are rough around the edges
The things you are pointing out are things they can improve on.

I don't get the sedan comment you made. You think Ford is a small company? They're only keeping the Mustang sedan.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The was just thinking Subaru could cut out the sedan line(Legacy/Impreza) . I would think Legacy will stay especially if they implement the 2.4 DTI but Impreza I'm not sure. The 5- door seems to the top seller in that lineup currently

·
Registered
174 Posts
The was just thinking Subaru could cut out the sedan line(Legacy/Impreza) . I would think Legacy will stay especially if they implement the 2.4 DTI but Impreza I'm not sure. The 5- door seems to the top seller in that lineup currently
I think if Subaru had designs on eliminating sedans, they probably wouldn't have gotten rid of the WRX & STI hatchback models. Also a lot of OEMs are moving to crossovers to try and replicate what Subaru has done with their lineup in terms of sales distribution. These automakers already have a proportionally greater share of market and have to make more drastic changes when a model sags in sales that Subaru doesn't have to make due to their already controlled manufacturing volumes

·
Registered
98 Posts
For many years, Subaru didn't offer a sedan. It was a one trick pony. The sedan offering was a relatively simple modification to the existing body style to offer a vehicle for another segment of the market. I don't think anyone would stereotype Subaru as a sedan company.

When Lincoln and Cadillac began offering large vehicles based on Ford and GM's trucks, that was inconceivable for the brand. Even today, no one thinks of these brands as truck brands.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think if Subaru had designs on eliminating sedans, they probably wouldn't have gotten rid of the WRX & STI hatchback models. Also a lot of OEMs are moving to crossovers to try and replicate what Subaru has done with their lineup in terms of sales distribution. These automakers already have a proportionally greater share of market and have to make more drastic changes when a model sags in sales that Subaru doesn't have to make due to their already controlled manufacturing volumes
Point taken. I think the elimination of the 5-door WRX/STI has hurt sales. I 'm not to sure why they did that. Is it harder to make the hatch or should I say take more money. Is that why they charge extra for the Impreza 5- door over the sedan?

·
Registered
932 Posts
In my experience Subaru likes to zig when everyone else zags. Look at the CVT - it's been a really good success for them for the most part.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
357 Posts
Subaru will not peak until we have two things

Levrog STI
WRX/STI 5 door

Reactions: laufu and Sparkland

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would say as a industry direction.
So as the industry consolidates abound the smaller displacement turbo, that places them all on the same footing which doesn't disadvantage Subaru but maintains its position in the pack. Subaru sets itself apart in AWD expertise, safety and best in class price point. It is doubtful SOA will introduce another wagon to the U.S. market to compete with the Outback. As for the sedan segment, SOA can continue to off the current lineup Until the market indicates otherwise. My sense is that as the big three divests itself of the sedans, there will be a shifting focus / interest towards Subaru's offering because although the residual numbers are small by the big three standards, the sedan market migration towards SOA would represent significant incremental sales. Subaru has been satisfied in being the best, not the biggest, nor has it/ will it chase the luxury market. Subaru has executed the same business model and product strategy as Toyota did back in the day but has long abandoned for market dominance goals and moving up market.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I would not say they have peaked, BUT they will have to move into the EV arena to stay competitive. Also, the WRX/STI fanatics are becoming disenchanted with the lack of real improvements to the WRX/STI, (which explains why so many WRX's are traded in within one year).

Subaru needs to move them to the new platform and improve ride quality. Just putting out a few Limited Edition trims of the WRX/STI is not enough. Just my thoughts.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Subaru was never a one trick pony

For many years, Subaru didn't offer a sedan. It was a one trick pony. The sedan offering was a relatively simple modification to the existing body style to offer a vehicle for another segment of the market. I don't think anyone would stereotype Subaru as a sedan company.
Alas, that's a rumor that gets persistently spread, which is utterly baffling. I've heard it a bunch of times. Totally baffling.

Subaru has always offered sedans, starting in the 1950's with the Subaru 450, various other models in the 60s, continuing through the Subaru GL/Subaru Leone in the 70s, The DL/GL in the 80's, the Legacy sedans in the late 80's to today (heck, even the Outback, Legacy branded or not, came in a sedan offering for years), the Impreza sedans from the very early 90's to today, etc, etc.

They also always offered multiple types of cars, from sedans (since the 50's) to hatches, trucks (which they finally stopped), vans (not available in this market anymore), pickups (no longer produced) and sports cars (starting in the mid 80's with the XT) and of course coupes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts