Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I've been looking into the different options for a wireless android auto experience to try and determine which may be the best in the Ascent....

Carsifi?
Motorola Ma1?
AAWireless?

I've seen mixed reviews on each and people saying it depends on the car... so before spending money on one I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has positive feedback one way or another...

One person I know who has an Outback with the big vertical infotainment system has a Carsifi and says it has been working great for him so I'm hopeful it could be a good option in the Ascent too...?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,871 Posts
There are existing threads on this about products folks have used here in the Electronics, Audio and Lighting sub-forum.

Reactions: 2020.Bigfoot.Ascent

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
146 Posts
Yes, I bought the AAWireless and have had it since February. Initially, it worked very well and the companion app allows for some tinkering of the settings, which I used and got a really stable connection. It worked well for quite some time.

But, after a firmware upgrade to the adapter and updated app release, I stopped using it because it is totally unreliable. In my case, the initial connection is perfect, Wireless Android Auto comes on after 10 seconds or so and it's AWESOME! Four, five, six more trips in the car ... and then POOF, it stops working. You can tinker with the settings, and occasionally have some success, but it is short lived. The only true solution is a full reset, which is a giant pain (disconnect adapter, delete Bluetooth and WiFi connections to adapter, uninstall the app, restart the phone, reinstall the app, and then re-pair, try new cable, etc.). I have probably done that 15-20 times and finally realized the wired connection isn't too bad.

Also, my issue is not unique. When looking over the app reviews online, this is one of the MOST COMMON issues. I have been in contact with their tech support multiple times but I think they are "in over their head" a little with the amount of issues. When the issue occurs, the interesting part is that the adapter itself remains connected to your phone, and therefore you can change settings, make adjustments, etc. but its connection to the head unit is lost.

Personally, I blame the firmware upgrade and the app update so I keep on the lookout for any updates. I tried again about 2 weeks ago and got 3 car rides out of it before it just dropped in the middle of use. Put it back in the storage bin and may try again later.

I would love to know if others have had luck and if any of the other products work better.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I bought the AAWireless and have had it since February. Initially, it worked very well and the companion app allows for some tinkering of the settings, which I used and got a really stable connection. It worked well for quite some time.

But, after a firmware upgrade to the adapter and updated app release, I stopped using it because it is totally unreliable. In my case, the initial connection is perfect, Wireless Android Auto comes on after 10 seconds or so and it's AWESOME! Four, five, six more trips in the car ... and then POOF, it stops working. You can tinker with the settings, and occasionally have some success, but it is short lived. The only true solution is a full reset, which is a giant pain (disconnect adapter, delete Bluetooth and WiFi connections to adapter, uninstall the app, restart the phone, reinstall the app, and then re-pair, try new cable, etc.). I have probably done that 15-20 times and finally realized the wired connection isn't too bad.

Also, my issue is not unique. When looking over the app reviews online, this is one of the MOST COMMON issues. I have been in contact with their tech support multiple times but I think they are "in over their head" a little with the amount of issues. When the issue occurs, the interesting part is that the adapter itself remains connected to your phone, and therefore you can change settings, make adjustments, etc. but its connection to the head unit is lost.

Personally, I blame the firmware upgrade and the app update so I keep on the lookout for any updates. I tried again about 2 weeks ago and got 3 car rides out of it before it just dropped in the middle of use. Put it back in the storage bin and may try again later.

I would love to know if others have had luck and if any of the other products work better.
Thank you for your insight on the AAWireless option! Definitely some helpful feedback 😁

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
774 Posts
I have the Motorola MA1. Initially it worked great, but I run into periodic issues where the Ascent head unit and my phone both forget each other in Bluetooth pairing. So that means the adapter will not connect (It uses a Bluetooth handshake to initiate the wireless connection between the phone and the adapter). That also means I need to stop somewhere to repair my phone with the Ascent head unit before I can use Android Auto again. The forgotten bluetooth pairing does not seem to be unique to me, other folks have reported it, but they have not specified whether or not they're using an Android auto adapter. My Bluetooth is forgotten only when the Android Auto adapter is plugged in, it seems.

Another thing that was happening on occasion, that only seemed to be when The Android Auto adapter was plugged in, is the head unit not fully starting and having a black screen and no volume control. Doing a soft reset of the head unit by holding down the power button always fixed the issue. This is another thing that other people have reported happening, but again this only seems to happen to me when the Android auto adapter was plugged in.

One final issue I've had with the Motorola adapter is that sometimes when I back out of the Android auto screen to do something else on the radio, I'm not able to get back into Android Auto. I can see the icon on the apps screen of the radio, but when I tap it nothing happens. I usually need to unplug the adapter and plug it back in to reestablish connection and then things will work fine.

That said, I'm about to put mine on eBay because I got an iPhone. Anyway. Let me know if you're interested :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the Motorola MA1. Initially it worked great, but I run into periodic issues where the Ascent head unit and my phone both forget each other in Bluetooth pairing. So that means the adapter will not connect (It uses a Bluetooth handshake to initiate the wireless connection between the phone and the adapter). That also means I need to stop somewhere to repair my phone with the Ascent head unit before I can use Android Auto again. The forgotten bluetooth pairing does not seem to be unique to me, other folks have reported it, but they have not specified whether or not they're using an Android auto adapter. My Bluetooth is forgotten only when the Android Auto adapter is plugged in, it seems.

Another thing that was happening on occasion, that only seemed to be when The Android Auto adapter was plugged in, is the head unit not fully starting and having a black screen and no volume control. Doing a soft reset of the head unit by holding down the power button always fixed the issue. This is another thing that other people have reported happening, but again this only seems to happen to me when the Android auto adapter was plugged in.

One final issue I've had with the Motorola adapter is that sometimes when I back out of the Android auto screen to do something else on the radio, I'm not able to get back into Android Auto. I can see the icon on the apps screen of the radio, but when I tap it nothing happens. I usually need to unplug the adapter and plug it back in to reestablish connection and then things will work fine.

That said, I'm about to put mine on eBay because I got an iPhone. Anyway. Let me know if you're interested :ROFLMAO:
Sadly it seems these adapter are still rather problematic. Maybe I need to just be patient and let more bugs be worked out before I order one 🤷‍♂️🙃

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sadly it seems these adapter are still rather problematic. Maybe I need to just be patient and let more bugs be worked out before I order one 🤷‍♂️🙃
Hi 2020.Bigfoot.Ascent

Here is my experience with a wireless AA dongle. I am using a Motorola MA1 between my 2019 Ascent and my 2020 Legacy. I had mine for about 4 months now. I am able to move MA1 between both Subarus without re-pairing. Just plug in and go. I use it mostly on the Legacy, but I use it on the Ascent whenever I get to drive it.

I have not experienced the issues rlb81 had, but I did encounter some minor gremlins. On the Ascent, it failed to connect once, and unplugging the dongle or restarting the Bluetooth did not fix it. I had to delete the old connection and pair it again. On my Legacy, the MA1 sometimes tries to dial my own phone number when the car is started. I usually just hit the hang-up button and go on my way. No issues after that. Oh, 1 more thing, your phone battery will take a hit.

But for the most part, its reliable. Enough so that I am considering getting a 2nd MA1 for the Ascent so my wife can have wireless AA. I was able to get a good deal on one through Best Buy, but I just checked the price, and it went up $10 (now $99) and it is out of stock.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Touring
94 Posts
I bought the Carlinkit 4.0 off Amazon and it works great for me on iOS. It says it's for both, just not sure the results are the same overall. The only issue I ever seem to have with it is if I want to use the phone to look things up or search on other apps while it's connected. You can do that, but the iPhone seems to want to prefer the wireless connection and sometimes gets confused when it has no signal to the internet. Searching for places on a map can be painful. So I have to disconnect the wireless, unplug the unit, and restart the search. I could change my preferences to always use cell service, but keep forgetting (shows you how it's not a killer problem). It's nice being able to simply walk up to the car, get in and drive and have the wireless connection. If I remote start, there is no delay on the connection and sometimes can hear my music or podcasts already running when I open the door since it starts as soon as the phone is near the dongle and the connection kicks in. Overall it's a great unit and my plan is to use that normally and unplug it for longer trips. The reviews might be able to speak to AA-specific use and issues.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yes here

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi 2020.Bigfoot.Ascent

Here is my experience with a wireless AA dongle. I am using a Motorola MA1 between my 2019 Ascent and my 2020 Legacy. I had mine for about 4 months now. I am able to move MA1 between both Subarus without re-pairing. Just plug in and go. I use it mostly on the Legacy, but I use it on the Ascent whenever I get to drive it.

I have not experienced the issues rlb81 had, but I did encounter some minor gremlins. On the Ascent, it failed to connect once, and unplugging the dongle or restarting the Bluetooth did not fix it. I had to delete the old connection and pair it again. On my Legacy, the MA1 sometimes tries to dial my own phone number when the car is started. I usually just hit the hang-up button and go on my way. No issues after that. Oh, 1 more thing, your phone battery will take a hit.

But for the most part, its reliable. Enough so that I am considering getting a 2nd MA1 for the Ascent so my wife can have wireless AA. I was able to get a good deal on one through Best Buy, but I just checked the price, and it went up $10 (now $99) and it is out of stock.
Awesome! Thank you for the feedback!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Motorola MA1 and using it in a 2020 Ascent. The performance has been spotty. Sometimes it works fine, and sometimes it doesn't. I can't tell when it will work or not. When it doesn't work, I can sometimes get it to work again by doing a factory reset on the MA1. With this frustrating performance and the fact that my phone battery seems to take a serious hit while using it, I have gone back to just plugging in the phone using the USB.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the AAWireless dongle, using it with a Pixel 6 Pro on Google fi. It has worked flawlessly since install and I have updated both the firmware and companion app. Would like to see a few more apps come live.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
774 Posts
CarlinKit 4.0 works on our Subaru radios 2019+
it's both wireless android and Carplay
and today it $78 on amazon ..
There's a lot of 1 star reviews saying it doesn't work well with Android Auto, even though it's supposedly supported.

I have the AAWireless dongle, using it with a Pixel 6 Pro on Google fi. It has worked flawlessly since install and I have updated both the firmware and companion app. Would like to see a few more apps come live.
I may try this out, thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts