Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'll be towing a smaller 5' X 9' ish enclosed roughly 1,000 miles in about two weeks. Will update on how that goes.

Reactions: tneur

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just bought an Aluma UT14 today and drove about 200 miles with it on. Forgot it was there half the time. I plan on using it to pull a few quads. I’ll be loading them up in a few weeks to ride so I’ll take some photos and post how it goes. Should be around 2500lbs loaded.

Reactions: FoRealz

·
Registered
265 Posts
Not to take away from this post but to add to it, the RAB does not stay ‘off’ if you turn it off. I pulled up to my house and switched into reverse. I started to back up and the brakes locked up. I then tried to turn off the RAB and it did turn off but at this point traffic built up so I pulled up to try backing up again. When I went to back up again, the RAB was back on! I may need to research how to deactivate it for longer than a few minutes when towing.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Not to take away from this post but to add to it, the RAB does not stay ‘off’ if you turn it off. I pulled up to my house and switched into reverse. I started to back up and the brakes locked up. I then tried to turn off the RAB and it did turn off but at this point traffic built up so I pulled up to try backing up again. When I went to back up again, the RAB was back on! I may need to research how to deactivate it for longer than a few minutes when towing.
You will have to deactivate it each time you put it in reverse unless you disable it (if you can?) I thought I saw it in the steering wheel console at one time.

But you can just push the icon on the reverse screen to turn it off. Annoying as I think it should be smart enough to realize that your trailer moves when you move so you must be pulling a trailer...

·
Registered
304 Posts
possibly a firmware hot fix at some point (if the systems can communicate) to disable RAB if a trailer is connected? That would be nifty.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Finally got around to pulling the trailer loaded yesterday and I will say it pulled great. Due to the way I loaded the trailer I would say 70% of the weight was forward of the trailer axle and the remainder was behind. I believe this was around 2000lbs total. I could tell it was there off the line but when picking up speed on the expressway, The engine got up speed quick even with the weight out back. Overall, Im happy. Aluma UT14 loaded with a Yamaha Grizzly 700 and Yamaha YFZ 50.

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
I pulled a 5x10 steel frame wood deck trailer to the hardware store and back. Not much load but my observation was the light load in the trailer was much louder than when I pulled it in the Tribeca. I just wonder if the Global Platform frame is just so much stiffer it transfers vibrations more or what. I could feel it bouncing on the ball under my feet.
Pulled fine like it wasn't there except for the noise.

Noisy for anyone else?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Three weeks and 1000 miles on my Ascent Touring. Pulled our 3000# pop-up tent trailer into the Sierras to 9000 elevation without problems. Plenty of power. Need to get used to lane-warning system, however (Steering wants to over-correct). And the RAB system when backing up was problematic first time, when I hadn't read the manual yet and brakes locked up when backing up the trailer.

Next step - installing a brake controller. I plan on using the Tekonsha Prodigy 3, using the wiring harness provided with the Ascent (factory installed hitch system). I need to find out in which receptacle under the driver-side dash to insert the harness plug . Has anyone installed a controller yet ?

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Three weeks and 1000 miles on my Ascent Touring. Pulled our 3000# pop-up tent trailer into the Sierras to 9000 elevation without problems. Plenty of power. Need to get used to lane-warning system, however (Steering wants to over-correct). And the RAB system when backing up was problematic first time, when I hadn't read the manual yet and brakes locked up when backing up the trailer.

Next step - installing a brake controller. I plan on using the Tekonsha Prodigy 3, using the wiring harness provided with the Ascent (factory installed hitch system). I need to find out in which receptacle under the driver-side dash to insert the harness plug . Has anyone installed a controller yet ?

Very glad to hear towing that weight of camper worked well. Did you go without a brake controller on that trip then? Did you ever feel the built in anti-sway control of the Subaru?

·
Registered
265 Posts

I have. I’ll post a photo later

·
Registered
192 Posts
I did tow a jam-packed 6 X 12 U-Haul enclosed trailer a little over 1,000 miles from WI to CO. I estimate it was around 4,000 lbs. I did a write-up under the "first roadtrip" post, but search isn't working for me so unable to cross-link.

Overall, I definitely felt it back there but the Ascent handled it well. Definitely made some noise heading up hills and accelerating onto the the freeway, etc.

I did not enjoy the play between the hitch and the receiver - definitely created more noise and jerkiness than I would have liked. It worked fine, but I'm not eager to take a load like that through the mountains.

·
Registered
265 Posts

Here is the photo. Sorry for the delay. right above the drivers side kick panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
I did tow a jam-packed 6 X 12 U-Haul enclosed trailer a little over 1,000 miles from WI to CO. I estimate it was around 4,000 lbs. I did a write-up under the "first roadtrip" post, but search isn't working for me so unable to cross-link.

Overall, I definitely felt it back there but the Ascent handled it well. Definitely made some noise heading up hills and accelerating onto the the freeway, etc.

I did not enjoy the play between the hitch and the receiver - definitely created more noise and jerkiness than I would have liked. It worked fine, but I'm not eager to take a load like that through the mountains.
If you plan to tow often, you may want to get an anti-rattle receiver lock.....that'll eliminate the noise. Etrailer has them.

·
Registered
978 Posts

The 6x12 uhaul trailers are not enjoyable trailers to haul. I have dragged those around behind several vehicles none of them made that trailer anymore or less enjoyable to tow. LOL

1000 miles would be miserable ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
The 6x12 uhaul trailers are not enjoyable trailers to haul. I have dragged those around behind several vehicles none of them made that trailer anymore or less enjoyable to tow. LOL

1000 miles would be miserable ?
This was my first experience with one. I initially thought I could get away with a 5x8, but not so much... It was not ideal, though I would really hate to pull one through the mountains. Once I got to the plains it wasn't so bad :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Are the shocks, struts, suspension etc., on the Ascent enough to keep the rear end from sagging etc. , when towing a trailer?
I know “ nothing” about auto mechanics or towing or suspensions so I am looking for some knowledge.:nerd:...... So is the suspension? on the the Ascent sufficient to tow a trailer near the max of it’s capacity? Should improvements be made?
What could be done to improve handling , capacity etc.?
May decide to buy a travel trailer so I want to learn as much as I can....:smile:
Still waiting to get my Ascent....:plain:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Are the shocks, struts, suspension etc., on the Ascent enough to keep the rear end from sagging etc. , when towing a trailer?
I know “ nothing” about auto mechanics or towing or suspensions so I am looking for some knowledge.:nerd:...... So is the suspension? on the the Ascent sufficient to tow a trailer near the max of it’s capacity? Should improvements be made?
What could be done to improve handling , capacity etc.?
May decide to buy a travel trailer so I want to learn as much as I can....:smile:
Still waiting to get my Ascent....:plain:
Most trailers are going to give you sag....my 4,000lbs boat which has 400lb tongue weight drops the rear suspension about 2 inches and it's the same of most other vehicles without air ride. This is not a problem for me.
I would say with the Ascent you don't want to put more than 10% of total trailer weight on the tongue with a the max load of 5,000lbs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.