Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm toying around with the idea of doing this installation in the driveway to save on labor...has anyone gone down this path before? I'd imagine it would probably be about two hours at the dealership. Seems like the glovebox needs to be removed. Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
22 Posts
I just looked at the install instructions- it appears to be pretty straightforward as far as the actual install goes. The issue is it looks like you need the dealer diagnostic equipment to program it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just looked at the install instructions- it appears to be pretty straightforward as far as the actual install goes. The issue is it looks like you need the dealer diagnostic equipment to program it.
Thank you I am pretty much thinking the same thing...I just wasn't sure if there's something to be particularly mindful of. Perhaps the part about getting the dealership to program it, but that makes sense.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,600 Posts
Double check your part number to insure you are purchasing the correct part number for your vehicle...the fob-based remote start has two versions. One for Subaru's with push-button start and one for Subaru's with key start. Of course push-button start Ascents can also use the Starlink subscription model for remote start from your smartphone with more features without installing hardware.

Reactions: Brian Belfiore

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
I'm toying around with the idea of doing this installation in the driveway to save on labor...has anyone gone down this path before? I'd imagine it would probably be about two hours at the dealership. Seems like the glovebox needs to be removed. Thanks!
SUPER simple, but you cannot finish the job yourself. A Subaru dealership (or an aftermarket shop with a Subaru Select Monitor v4 - which are next to none), needs to finish the install by registering the unit, and all the FOBs, with the remote start unit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'm happy this is driveway doable, and no worries I'll chat with my local service team once the hardware is installed. I'll be sure to order the push-start version for my particular vehicle. Might not be done as soon as I'd like - but now it's on my to-do list for sure. I'll keep you updated!

·
Registered
2021 Ascent, 2012 Outback
6 Posts
I installed it myself about 6 months ago shortly after I got our ascent. Definitely DIY. Only difficulty I remember having was finding the location of screws to remove the glove box mount and getting it lined up.

All in I don’t think it could have taken more than 45 minutes. I had the dealer registration process already printed out in hand for the dealer tech so it was probably under 5 minutes for them to program.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For those who DIY installed, what did the dealer charge to perform the registration process (keyless FOBs)?

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
Wow, didnt realize that was the rate.
I have a feeling it's not that high at every dealer. That number almost sounds punitive!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts