Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a Rear Air Spring Kit on their Ascent?

I'm looking to minimize squat when I load up my hitch rack with my mountain bikes.

At times, I'll have 3 mountain bikes on the rack (1UP USA 1 Heavy Duty Double, 1 Quik Rack Single, and 1 RakAttach) for a total weight of 196 pounds.

I had a Rear Air Spring Kit installed on my 2008 Toyota Sienna Minivan and that has helped minimize the bottom of the tow hitch hitting the ground, particular going up and down steep driveways/office garages.

I haven't purchased my Ascent yet (but plan to do so soon now that Blue/Black interior is an option for 2020).

So I'm looking ahead at adding a rear air spring kit to the Ascent.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts

I'm looking to minimize squat when I load up my hitch rack with my mountain bikes.

At times, I'll have 3 mountain bikes on the rack (1UP USA 1 Heavy Duty Double, 1 Quik Rack Single, and 1 RakAttach) for a total weight of 196 pounds.

I had a Rear Air Spring Kit installed on my 2008 Toyota Sienna Minivan and that has helped minimize the bottom of the tow hitch hitting the ground, particular going up and down steep driveways/office garages.

I haven't purchased my Ascent yet (but plan to do so soon now that Blue/Black interior is an option for 2020).

Thanks.
For what it's worth the tongue weight of my trailer is around 368 lbs, and the rear squat is negligible on my Premium.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,839 Posts
I doubt the rear of your Ascent is going to "squat" in any meaningful way with bikes on that given the 500 lb tongue rating for towing without WDH. (WDH not permitted by Subaru)

Do remember that the total weight you put back there still is part of your allowable cargo including humans, pets and gear. That varies by trim level...there's another thread here about that that's pretty good.

Reactions: Alf Man

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I guess I'm so used to the Sienna's 'squishy' rear suspension and already very low hitch that I'm probably over-analyzing this too much.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I highly doubt you’d notice any squat. I haven’t towed a lot but a few weeks ago I had about 1000 pounds in my trailer and didn’t notice any squat.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

Thanks.
the spring assist air bag you used on Sienna can't be used on the Ascent because it's a strut design (shock and spring in one unit). You have a good observation and I don't think people understand the practical aspect bc there's a bit of engineering calculation to consider.

The effect of 196lbs rack (or cantilever) is not equal to 196lbs tongue load, simply put. If I have the dimension of the rack, I can quantify the "moment" of loaded weight at rest. Regardless, I would imagine a 196lbs rack w/ bikes would have an equivalent effect of about 200-300lbs tongue load at rest and up to twice when in motion (and going over big speed bumps).

If you ride out your bump-stop too much, perhaps you need to modify your loading or driving characteristics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts