Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a way/service to 'cover up' the Ivory carbon fiber-patterned interior accent trim?

It really sticks out visually (in a bad way to me) with the black interior.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Yes, there are a couple options I've seen done:
  • Buy the panels from a different trim/color and replace them. For instance, my Touring has ivory accents, so, you could theoretically get the Touring panels, and swap them in. I think that's only a total of three colors available though.
  • Remove them and re-cover them. Someone else had a seat cover shop do that and Katskin covers for their seats.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Gaudy and cheap looking especially in premium trim. Remove and fashion something on the lines of the 2020 Outback

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
  • Buy the panels from a different trim/color and replace them. For instance, my Touring has ivory accents, so, you could theoretically get the Touring panels, and swap them in. I think that's only a total of three colors available though.
  • Remove them and re-cover them. Someone else had a seat cover shop do that and Katskin covers for their seats.
I did some quick math browsing the parts site yesterday. Those 6 trim pieces (passenger rear, front doors; driver rear, front doors; passenger and driver dash) may cost about $200. I didnt get a chance to dig into whether the parts I saw had the vinyl or leathery material on them. Would be worthwhile checking how much it would cost to cover them in a nicer material vs just buying the touring pieces to swap.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Do you guys have the part numbers handy by any chance for the trim pieces? I may look at the touring options

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You could use 3M DI-NOC to resurface interior trim. It comes in many hundreds of styles and patterns. I'm currently looking into this for my Ascent to custom model it. I'm going to resurface all of the door trim and some of the dash trim.

Before you think this is some cheap vinyl covering, this is a professional quality product that they use to finish million-dollar yachts and banks just to name a few applications. It's used to customize cars by professionals. It would be a considerable upgrade to the plastic used in most car finishes. It's a textured, thick vinyl. Be forewarned, it is not inexpensive. A 4'x3' sheet cost around $75, but that's all you would need to cover most of the Ascent trim pieces. It's available on Amazon and other online stores.

It requires some minor skills to apply, but the learning curve is very quick and almost anyone can do it. You can order samples for a very low cost and use those to practice before you start. Once applied it will outlast the car. Here's an example how-to video for car interiors.

This is the best option to professionally customize your interior yourself at a relatively low cost.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did some quick math browsing the parts site yesterday. Those 6 trim pieces (passenger rear, front doors; driver rear, front doors; passenger and driver dash) may cost about $200. I didnt get a chance to dig into whether the parts I saw had the vinyl or leathery material on them. Would be worthwhile checking how much it would cost to cover them in a nicer material vs just buying the touring pieces to swap.
Thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Great information in here! I have recently purchased a 2019 Limited Abyss Blue and I am trying to see what others have done. Anyone have any photos they could post?

Thanks!
JW
Do you have a US spec Limited Trim? If so, you should have the leather-wrapped Ivory accents.

I think more complaints here (including this thread) are regarding the carbon-fiber patterned plastic accents only present on the Base and Premium trims in the US.

The options to replace the leather-wrapped accents will likely be a little different than the plastic accents.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think I realized why they have the ivory colored panels in the car, even though they don’t match with some of the color options of the interior.

I have a MY20 and at first, personally hated the color mismatch. I got used to it quickly though.

I think they kept it ivory was because of the interior lighting that shines down on it. I think it gives the car a lighter effect when the light are on and it’s dark inside the car. It stands out more.

That’s my thought at least.

·
Registered
817 Posts
You could use 3M DI-NOC to resurface interior trim. It comes in many hundreds of styles and patterns. I'm currently looking into this for my Ascent to custom model it. I'm going to resurface all of the door trim and some of the dash trim.

Before you think this is some cheap vinyl covering, this is a professional quality product that they use to finish million-dollar yachts and banks just to name a few applications. It's used to customize cars by professionals. It would be a considerable upgrade to the plastic used in most car finishes. It's a textured, thick vinyl. Be forewarned, it is not inexpensive. A 4'x3' sheet cost around $75, but that's all you would need to cover most of the Ascent trim pieces. It's available on Amazon and other online stores.

It requires some minor skills to apply, but the learning curve is very quick and almost anyone can do it. You can order samples for a very low cost and use those to practice before you start. Once applied it will outlast the car. Here's an example how-to video for car interiors.

This is the best option to professionally customize your interior yourself at a relatively low cost.
This is the route I would take.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
Anyone that’s done theirs, can you post a picture? Also if you’re willing to do mine I’d be willing to pay!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Anyone that’s done theirs, can you post a picture? Also if you’re willing to do mine I’d be willing to pay!
I plan on doing my Ascent as a winter project. Too much to do in the summer/fall. I'll be sure to take photos.

There are businesses that will do this professionally. I came across this when researching vinyl coverings. They do everything from cars to yachts. Depending on where you live you might be able to find one locally, otherwise you'd have to ship the parts to them.

I have excellent DIY skills so I decided to do it myself. I already did my boat. It's not hard at all. Just a minor skill to learn. The material is very easy and forgiving to work with. When you gently heat the vinyl, it conforms to almost any shape. You then simply need to learn how to tuck the edges and corners down neatly, kind of like upholstery or wallpapering if you know what I mean. There are many youtube tutorials on it.

If anyone is interested in learning, simply order some vinyl samples. They're inexpensive. Then find something inconsequential to wrap just to learn and practice the technique. You can't harm anything, it can always be removed easily with a little heat. It's a great skill to have because of the endless practical things you can do with vinyl coverings.

One word of caution, use quality vinyl. I first tried some cheap imitation stuff, it worked ok but didn't adhere well. I then tried some professional 3M Di-Noc which is expensive, but it adheres easily and perfectly and lasts permanently. I even used some on my mountain bike to protect areas of the paint which were getting damaged by rocks. After taking a beating it shows no signs of damage and has stayed on in the toughest of conditions. Great stuff. It would last forever in a car interior.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you guys have the part numbers handy by any chance for the trim pieces? I may look at the touring options
You might check this out. Haven’t found all but it’s a start. Looks to be leather wrapped but I don’t know how to tell what color it is.

Look on Subaru Parts website and search “Trim Molding - Subaru (94218XC02A)”

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone that’s done theirs, can you post a picture?
Yes. Dealer sells it as a custom job. We went direct to the aftermarket place though. Here's a preview pic. When my other mods are all done I'll post somewhere. Kind of pricey, and it's referred to as a "hydrodip" where they take the OEM pieces and dip them. Looks way way better in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
Kind of pricey, and it's referred to as a "hydrodip" where they take the OEM pieces and dip them. Looks way way better in my opinion.
Is that similar to plastidip? I’m assuming it would be more durable than plastidip due to the price. If so, they should change the name!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
they're vinyl-based type material. About 20% of the "leather" material for interior is made of cowhide, which are the perorated pieces on seats.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts