Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In reading through the forums it seems like everyone either goes 18" or 20", but there are actually some nice wheel choices in 19" as well as the Michelin Defender LTX M/S which is about as good of an all around tire for my driving as there is. Just curious why I haven't seen anyone using it and am interested in hearing folks opinions.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
There is nothing that precludes you from choosing a 19" wheel as long as it has the correct bolt pattern, offset and load rating. Defenders are available in OEM size for 18" wheels...it's only those of us with 20" wheels that currently don't have that choice in OEM tire size. I want that tire but I don't want to have to spend money to buy new wheels nor do I prefer to stray from OEM tire size...it's a conundrum

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that you "can"...was more curious why it seems that no one has.

I have a touring as well so i have the 20" wheel. Not impressed with 20" tire size choices. I live in Miami, FL so most of my driving is highway miles but we also do a lot of weekend driving through state/national parks off road. The LTX is a great combination tire. The 20" wheel also has a very small sidewall which rides a bit rough. The 19" i feel would provide a nice balance...good tire choice, a little more sidewall.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
I'm guessing 19s aren't more popular because it's fairly expensive to buy new wheels and tires, and 18s give you twice the increase in sidewall height compared with 19s for about the same cost.

Personally, I'd be interested in 17s...but I don't think most 17" wheels will clear the front brake hardware (I understand some wheels are believed to fit, but I think most don't). 245/65R17 is about the same overall diameter (29.5" vs. 29.6"), and is an extremely common size for larger SUVs and small trucks. All sorts of really nice tires (from smooth SUV tires to gnarly off-road tires) are available in that size.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Most that are changing rims for off pavement driving, from 20", and thus are looking for more sidewall than just an extra half inch below the rim. A few have even gone down to 17".

There are way more tire options for 18" than 19"

·
Registered
777 Posts
There are way more tire options for 18" than 19"
[/QUOTE]
^This, was a huge reason for me (although I downsized from the 20s for winter wheels and tires). Not only were the wheels considerably less expensive, but the tire selection was probably double what was available on the 19s, and they were much less expensive.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I know that you "can"...was more curious why it seems that no one has.
Initially, we couldn't find very many 19" tire choices at all. Heck, there weren't any 20" all terrains we could find, either. That's since changed, but, it seems that there hasn't been a resurgence in interest.

Heck, I just found out a couple months ago that there are finally 20" all terrains available that work on the Ascent (in OEM size). We all looked back in mid and early 2018.

I guess more people may start considering it now that more people are becoming aware of their existence. As for me, I'm sticking with my 17" rims and tires for the off-road prowess. ;) But, a 19" tire seems like a nice balance between the firm responsiveness of the 20" and the softer ride of the 18" tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.