Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the actual wattage? They appear to be rating like the cheap brands on eBay. If you look in all the Subaru info its "Equivalent" wattage. Like how a 17W fluorescent bulb is equal to 100W lol...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
I don't know, but it made for a very enjoyable 800 mile drive yesterday playing from my library...while I can appreciate that audiophiles might not like it, it's sounding good, loud and undistorted for me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know, but it made for a very enjoyable 800 mile drive yesterday playing from my library...while I can appreciate that audiophiles might not like it, it's sounding good, loud and undistorted for me.
When I sat in one a few months back it didn’t sound as good as my crosstrek with HK. My crosstrek has a shot front tweeter tho so now it’s ehhh

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
Very subjective thing, but one of the things I enjoyed with my Ascent's sound system over previous vehicle's is the clarity at the high end. I have some weird variable hearing loss in my right ear and I was hearing "sparkly" things that I never heard before, perhaps because of the way the Ascent's surround processing works. It kicks heiny over the HK in our 2016 Outback Limited with Eyesight, too. In the end, some folks will love it; some will be "meh...it's ok" and others will be holding up a silver cross to ward off the evil sound system vampires.... :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very subjective thing, but one of the things I enjoyed with my Ascent's sound system over previous vehicle's is the clarity at the high end. I have some weird variable hearing loss in my right ear and I was hearing "sparkly" things that I never heard before, perhaps because of the way the Ascent's surround processing works. It kicks heiny over the HK in our 2016 Outback Limited with Eyesight, too. In the end, some folks will love it; some will be "meh...it's ok" and others will be holding up a silver cross to ward off the evil sound system vampires.... :D

I’m just wondering what the actual wattage is lol. Would pay extra if they did b&o or something like that as a option on the top models. Everyone else has been switching over to their processing now days.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Sorry, I do not know the RMS wattage of the Subaru H/K system. I was told by RF tech support that the RF upgrade does 45WRMS per channel. I would assume the H/K does better, but maybe not since it has a dedicated "subwoofer" channel in addition to the main channels.

H/K, B&O, etc. It's pretty much all marketing at this level of automobile. There's H/K in Subarus and there's H/K in BMWs. I doubt they're equivalent. There's a B&O upgrade available in something like the Ford Focus, and you can get that brand in Audi as well. Their sound quality is all over the place.

I'm generally satisfied with the RF upgrade in the Ascent. It's crisp and clear with decent bass that doesn't go too deep unfortunately. I love music and have had big sound systems before. It's a hobby unto itself to be on the quest for 'perfect' car audio. It's much easier to achieve at home or with headphones.

Savagegeese on YouTube is going to start evaluating sound systems as part of his car reviews! I think that's pretty cool, and needed for consumers in general.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I do not know the RMS wattage of the Subaru H/K system. I was told by RF tech support that the RF upgrade does 45WRMS per channel. I would assume the H/K does better, but maybe not since it has a dedicated "subwoofer" channel in addition to the main channels.

H/K, B&O, etc. It's pretty much all marketing at this level of automobile. There's H/K in Subarus and there's H/K in BMWs. I doubt they're equivalent. There's a B&O upgrade available in something like the Ford Focus, and you can get that brand in Audi as well. Their sound quality is all over the place.

I'm generally satisfied with the RF upgrade in the Ascent. It's crisp and clear with decent bass that doesn't go too deep unfortunately. I love music and have had big sound systems before. It's a hobby unto itself to be on the quest for 'perfect' car audio. It's much easier to achieve at home or with headphones.

Savagegeese on YouTube is going to start evaluating sound systems as part of his car reviews! I think that's pretty cool, and needed for consumers in general.
I believe bmw now uses b&o. Also the Lincoln system they have recently gone to is called something else but also b&o based.

As for the subwoofer. Isn’t the amp with the woofer in the back? Just a separate processed out on the unit up front.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I believe bmw now uses b&o. Also the Lincoln system they have recently gone to is called something else but also b&o based.

As for the subwoofer. Isn’t the amp with the woofer in the back? Just a separate processed out on the unit up front.
Judging from HK's website, I think it's one 12 channel amp that does it all.

https://www.harmankardon.com/subaru.html

SYSTEM OVERVIEW

3 ×80mm Wide Dispersion Midrange
2 ×80mm + 16mm Unity
2 ×178mm + 254mm Door Woofers
2 ×170mm + 25mm Coaxial
1 ×200mm (8”) Subwoofer with Enclosure
1 ×12-Channel 792 Watt Class D Amplifier

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts

Nope, BMW uses HK still.

https://www.harmankardon.com/bmw.html

As one example, the new i8 - see Section 02. Audio
https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/bmwi/bmw-i8/bmw-i8-roadster-features-and-specs.html
Harman Kardon® Premium Sound Audio System with 12 speakers, vehicle-specific equalizing and powerful 360-watt amplifier
Or the x6 - Section 03. Technology
https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/x-models/x6/x6-xdrive50i.html
Harman Kardon® Surround Sound Audio System with vehicle-specific equalizing and powerful 600-watt amplifier; the 16-speaker system includes 7 tweeters, 4 midrange speakers located in the door panels and 2 midrange speakers located under the rear shelf space, 2 bass speakers located under the front seats and 1 midrange center channel speaker
HK actually still makes full systems for many brands.
https://www.harmankardon.com/automotive.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts