Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard the Harmon Kardon stereo in the Ascent? Do you know where all of the speakers are located? 14 speakers is ridiculous but awesome!!!

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Has anyone heard the Harmon Kardon stereo in the Ascent? Do you know where all of the speakers are located? 14 speakers is ridiculous but awesome!!!
It sounds amazing, after you tweak it (and use an external source to test - XM is its usual hit or miss depending on how much they're compressing the music at any given time on any given station).

The speakers are all over the place. I've been asking for a drawing or such to show where they are, but haven't gotten one yet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here is what I am guessing:
Center Speaker on Dash (1)
Front Speakers, guessing, 3 way components "Low" (Door) Mid and Tweeter (both in dash) which count for 3 speakers each side (2,3,4,5,6,7)
Middle Speakers, Mid and Tweeter which count for 2 speakers each side (8,9,10,11)
Rear Speakers (12, 13)
Sub (14)

I am sure that any component sets, they are counting every piece of the component set as a speaker

·
Registered
494 Posts
It sounds amazing, after you tweak it. The speakers are all over the place. I've been asking for a drawing or such to show where they are, but haven't gotten one yet.

Have to echo @Robert.Mauro about how good the system sounds. Wasnt expecting much from it honestly, but the first time I listened to it, it was pleasant surprise.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
This is somewhat accurate, but you might not be able to see where the double speakers are. I actually took a picture, but, I cannot seem to find it in the few thousand I took over the 5 days I was at NYIAS, so, I grabbed this from the background of another picture, and had to duplicate one side.

The subwoofer is actually on the back right, not in the center as shown in the pic.

Orange ringed are two speakers, others are single speakers. So, it's 3 in the dash, followed by 4, then by 4, then by two and then by the sub, very similar to what @Dandy said.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds like they may be considering a coaxial speaker as 2 speakers - the woofer and tweeter - each as separate speakers, unless there are 2 speakers in each location. From pictures, there looks like there could be room for a woofer and mid in the doors. I however would bet the orange ring locations that @Robert.Mauro has pointed out are coaxial speakers and they are counting woofer and tweeter each as separate speakers. If this is the case, it is technically correct, but most would consider a coaxial as a single speaker since it is a single mount. Good Marketing however.:smile_big:

·
Registered
155 Posts
@Robert.Mauro, Does Harmon Kardon stereo support DTS or Dolby digital ? Does it support CD/DVD/SACD/Blu-ray/4k ? Does it show video or just audio? Thank you

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
@Robert.Mauro, Does Harmon Kardon stereo support DTS or Dolby digital ? Does it support CD/DVD/SACD/Blu-ray/4k ? Does it show video or just audio? Thank you
It supports the HD Radio Digital Sound digital radio broadcast specs. It contains a CD player (not DVD/bluray), and has its own surround and stereo expansion processing.

So, no, like many stock head units, it does not show video, for safety reasons.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Most states, if not all, do not allow for video to be broadcast in front of the driver while the vehicle is moving. For companies that do have head units that allow for video, they have a safety tie in somewhere on the car. I believe they normally add or tap into a park switch to assure the vehicle is not moving. I do not believe there is an OEM head unit that will allow for video even when parked.

This is where autonomous vehicles would be nice. Sit back, work on your laptop or watch a movie while being driven to your destination. I LOVE driving, but somedays when I have a lot of windshield time, an autonomous option would be nice so I can be productive. Maybe I just need to be more important so they hire me a driver :tango_face_wink: Sorry, a bit off topic

·
Registered
42 Posts
Most states, if not all, do not allow for video to be broadcast in front of the driver while the vehicle is moving. For companies that do have head units that allow for video, they have a safety tie in somewhere on the car. I believe they normally add or tap into a park switch to assure the vehicle is not moving. I do not believe there is an OEM head unit that will allow for video even when parked.

This is where autonomous vehicles would be nice. Sit back, work on your laptop or watch a movie while being driven to your destination. I LOVE driving, but somedays when I have a lot of windshield time, an autonomous option would be nice so I can be productive. Maybe I just need to be more important so they hire me a driver :tango_face_wink: Sorry, a bit off topic

FWIW--My ex-'08 Cadillac CTS could play DVDs as long as the car was in Park. I'm sure it would be possible to program the HU to do that as long as there was a DVD player installed or the HU could read .mp4 or such. But for safety reasons it's probably not worth the effort.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It supports the HD Radio Digital Sound digital radio broadcast specs. It contains a CD player (not DVD/bluray), and has its own surround and stereo expansion processing.

So, no, like many stock head units, it does not show video, for safety reasons.
I would of upgraded to the tech package if the head unit could play DVD's just in park. My 2011 Altima could do this, it was nice at long railroad crossing or the occasional construction blockade. It was a non-necessary feature that got a lot of use sitting around waiting for things while in the car.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You can drive coaxial speakers with separate amp channels because the latest rare earth magnet drives can handle the power and make a difference. So yes good coaxials are often counted as two speakers, and from personal experience with tuning OEM sound systems they make a big difference.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
You can drive coaxial speakers with separate amp channels because the latest rare earth magnet drives can handle the power and make a difference. So yes good coaxials are often counted as two speakers, and from personal experience with tuning OEM sound systems they make a big difference.
Yep, especially with good ones having crossovers built in.

·
Registered
234 Posts
FWIW--My ex-'08 Cadillac CTS could play DVDs as long as the car was in Park. I'm sure it would be possible to program the HU to do that as long as there was a DVD player installed or the HU could read .mp4 or such. But for safety reasons it's probably not worth the effort.
Youtube Hacks...LOL Just saying

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.