Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this 2019 Limited earlier this year to replace both my Mazda 3 & Nissan Titan The one big requirement was ability to tow my boat. Boat & trailer come in around 4300 lbs so it was close! But I went for it & I have to say I’ve been EXTREMELY impressed! Even towed the boat from Philly area up to the Finger Lakes across the mountains & it handled it like a champ. Watched oil temps get up to around 230-240F at the worst but it came down & hovered between 210-225F most of the time. MPG is between 12-15 typically when towing.

This last weekend I had to pull the boat out at low tide on the Delaware on a steepish ramp with slimy algae that was concerning but it pulled it out without any struggle at all.

Really happy with this car!

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Cloud Vehicle

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive carrying rack

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't see surge brakes on the trailer and assuming you have electric brakes. How have the brakes held up being dunked in the water constantly launching and retrieving the boat?

My boat/trailer weighs 3,000lbs all up but the trailer lacks brakes (and I haven't towed the trailer since getting the Ascent). I've been debating surge vs electric brakes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see surge brakes on the trailer and assuming you have electric brakes. How have the brakes held up being dunked in the water constantly launching and retrieving the boat?

My boat/trailer weighs 3,000lbs all up but the trailer lacks brakes (and I haven't towed the trailer since getting the Ascent). I've been debating surge vs electric brakes.
I do have surge brakes with discs. The trailer is the original factory trailer from Four Winns (I forget who actually makes it but I can get more info off it if you’re interested). The single axle is actually rated for 6000 lbs as opposed to the typical 3000 lb axels. Pretty beefy trailer that I’ve been really happy with. Four Winns makes pretty nice boats that tend to weigh more than more low cost brands like Stingray or Bayliner.

Brakes work great & I haven’t felt the slightest bit concerned bringing the whole thing to a stop with the Ascent. It’s not quite as confident as the Titan was but certainly very confident nonetheless. I’ve been quite surprised.

·
Registered
6 Posts
we used to tow an 18' Robalo with our ascent. weight was close to 4k. it did great. however, the ascent ate its transmission at about 50k. not sure if the towing contributed to that or not. now I have a 22 footer and tow it with my f-150!

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
774 Posts
Got this 2019 Limited earlier this year to replace both my Mazda 3 & Nissan Titan The one big requirement was ability to tow my boat. Boat & trailer come in around 4300 lbs so it was close! But I went for it & I have to say I’ve been EXTREMELY impressed! Even towed the boat from Philly area up to the Finger Lakes across the mountains & it handled it like a champ. Watched oil temps get up to around 230-240F at the worst but it came down & hovered between 210-225F most of the time. MPG is between 12-15 typically when towing.

This last weekend I had to pull the boat out at low tide on the Delaware on a steepish ramp with slimy algae that was concerning but it pulled it out without any struggle at all.

Really happy with this car!

View attachment 18346
View attachment 18347
View attachment 18348
Nice boat, what model? I've always liked Four Winns! I'm interested to compare your total boat/trailer weight with the published numbers. Is your weight an estimate, or from the scale? There's no plans for a boat in my immediate future but I think about it from time to time and the 18-20ft bowriders are the target. I'd like to get a realistic idea of what boats the Ascent can tow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we used to tow an 18' Robalo with our ascent. weight was close to 4k. it did great. however, the ascent ate its transmission at about 50k. not sure if the towing contributed to that or not. now I have a 22 footer and tow it with my f-150!
Did you do the CVT fluid flush at 36k (I think) as per the "extreme driving conditions" maintenance schedule? I plan to have this done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice boat, what model? I've always liked Four Winns! I'm interested to compare your total boat/trailer weight with the published numbers. Is your weight an estimate, or from the scale? There's no plans for a boat in my immediate future but I think about it from time to time and the 18-20ft bowriders are the target. I'd like to get a realistic idea of what boats the Ascent can tow.
It's a 2008 Horizon H200 20' bowrider w/ 5.0L Mercruiser (TKS carb - 220 HP). It's been a great boat for our family of 4 plus a dog. Only thing I'd change would be that I wish it was fuel-injected. At the time I actually opted for a carb engine because I could maintain that easier but in reality the ease of use of fuel-injection would have been nicer overall. Carb has been pretty flawless though for the nearly 10 yrs we've owned it so I really can't complain.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
774 Posts
It's a 2008 Horizon H200 20' bowrider w/ 5.0L Mercruiser (TKS carb - 220 HP). It's been a great boat for our family of 4 plus a dog. Only thing I'd change would be that I wish it was fuel-injected. At the time I actually opted for a carb engine because I could maintain that easier but in reality the ease of use of fuel-injection would have been nicer overall. Carb has been pretty flawless though for the nearly 10 yrs we've owned it so I really can't complain.
Agree w/ FI, though I've never been around a boat with it. We've usually had older boats in the family, and with the exceptional a few flooded carbs they haven't been that bad. Regardless, I've been trying to reduce the number of carburetors under my watch. Mower, snow blower, and power washer are all I have left!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got this 2019 Limited earlier this year to replace both my Mazda 3 & Nissan Titan The one big requirement was ability to tow my boat. Boat & trailer come in around 4300 lbs so it was close! But I went for it & I have to say I’ve been EXTREMELY impressed! Even towed the boat from Philly area up to the Finger Lakes across the mountains & it handled it like a champ. Watched oil temps get up to around 230-240F at the worst but it came down & hovered between 210-225F most of the time. MPG is between 12-15 typically when towing. This last weekend I had to pull the boat out at low tide on the Delaware on a steepish ramp with slimy algae that was concerning but it pulled it out without any struggle at all. Really happy with this car! View attachment 18346 View attachment 18347 View attachment 18348
I’ve read it’s best not to tow over 80% of tow capacity. That’s 4000 lbs for the Ascent. Over that weight is just more wear and tear on the car. But I also know that car capacities are stated lower than actual capacity. It’s a cover my ass for car companies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When we towed up to NY we took a separate car for all the luggage & whatnot to keep weight down in the Ascent. Boat tank was also pretty low so I wasn’t hauling extra weight for that either.

I definitely wouldn’t pick this car if I was regularly doing several hundred mile trips towing 80+% capacity but for the amount I do it works fine. I do miss the truck sometimes but I don’t miss 10MPG fuel economy (though the Ascent isn’t great either).

·
Registered
3 Posts
When we towed up to NY we took a separate car for all the luggage & whatnot to keep weight down in the Ascent. Boat tank was also pretty low so I wasn’t hauling extra weight for that either.

I definitely wouldn’t pick this car if I was regularly doing several hundred mile trips towing 80+% capacity but for the amount I do it works fine. I do miss the truck sometimes but I don’t miss 10MPG fuel economy (though the Ascent isn’t great either).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tow a 3100 dry weight TT. Loaded at 3600. Tows very well. Can’t even tell it’s behind me. I don’t travel over 55 MPH. Get about 15 to 19 MPG. That’s one mile at 1 minute and 5 seconds. Above 60 MPH the mileage goes down to 12 MPG or lower. Might get there a tad bit slower but savings is great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts