Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been musing about this since we bought the car: why use wireless charging if Apple CarPlay is only wired?

Well, the dealership had a decent sale on it and finally my NJ title and registration were in so needed to pick that up and get the license plates back on to replace the paper ones.

Took them 2.5 hrs to put in the wireless, mount the license plates, and also install the blue oil cap with prominent 0W-20, which they said was the first one they ever installed.

All the while they were professional and nice with a clean and sanitized waiting area with wifi and refreshments.

* Got a Legacy as courtesy car as I needed to drive from service to dealer to grab title and reg. Cannot say I like the huge touchscreen as the analog knobs were tiny and of course being a sedan I sat lower than in the Ascent which was not wonderful.

* Found the original key chain in glove box with its 5 digit pin. They didn't know that was needed to pair any further FOBs to the car (else you pay hundreds), so happy I found it finally and they were genuinely glad to hear as they had no idea about that.

* They washed the outside of the Ascent so looks brand new (of course driving around in snow and much dirtied it heading home).

* Now above 400 miles, I'm seeing MPG get better (began at 12.4, now at 14.3) which jives with my odometer getting close to 500 miles driven where we're supposed to see the MPG finally get to promised spec.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: Molutxo and xydadx3

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been musing about this since we bought the car: why use wireless charging if Apple CarPlay is only wired?

Well, the dealership had a decent sale on it and finally my NJ title and registration were in so needed to pick that up and get the license plates back on to replace the paper ones.

Took them 2.5 hrs to put in the wireless, mount the license plates, and also install the blue oil cap with prominent 0W-20, which they said was the first one they ever installed.

All the while they were professional and nice with a clean and sanitized waiting area with wifi and refreshments.

* Got a Legacy as courtesy car as I needed to drive from service to dealer to grab title and reg. Cannot say I like the huge touchscreen as the analog knobs were tiny and of course being a sedan I sat lower than in the Ascent which was not wonderful.

* Found the original key chain in glove box with its 5 digit pin. They didn't know that was needed to pair any further FOBs to the car (else you pay hundreds), so happy I found it finally and they were genuinely glad to hear as they had no idea about that.

* They washed the outside of the Ascent so looks brand new (of course driving around in snow and much dirtied it heading home).

* Now above 400 miles, I'm seeing MPG get better (began at 12.4, now at 14.3) which jives with my odometer getting close to 500 miles driven where we're supposed to see the MPG finally get to promised spec.
Any links to the pics?
Or how well this is hidden?

·
Registered
219 Posts

I felt it was best to have this as we need 0W-20 oil and if I took it too a Jiffy or similar, you never know if the attendant and the person handling the oil change are in sync so might as well make it clear.
Oh man, I would never, ever let my car near a jiffy lube, ha!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would but not necessary the way the new Odyssey battery is perfectly fitted.

·
Registered
STORMTROOPER
4 Posts
Gotta say, I am loving the wireless charging pad. It’s nearly invisible.

TBH, that is the only drawback I’ve found so far ... getting out of the car and leaving my phone behind because it’s tucked away on the charging pad!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
TBH, that is the only drawback I’ve found so far ... getting out of the car and leaving my phone behind because it’s tucked away on the charging pad!
I don't use wireless charging, but do sometimes forget to pull my phone from the mount. It's a human tendency to sometimes forget...usually ona dark, cold night where you remember it after you're already in your "jammies" for bed. ;)

·
Registered
2021 Ascent
57 Posts
I purchased the wireless charging unit and intend to install this weekend provided my honeydo list remains unchanged. I have the instructions from Subaru, detailed and color photos included - anyone installed this themselves and have any suggestions.

Reactions: Zeke NY

·
Registered
2021 Crystal Black Silica Touring (named "Emma" by the wife)
20 Posts
I assume you have all the trim tools needed? It's funny, I'm actually looking to remove it from my Ascent due to the fact that I use CarPlay everytime and would like the extra space in that cubby (was part of the standard accessories package that came with the car), but saw the instructions and it looked like a bear.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent
57 Posts
What standard accessory package did you get with your touring. Mine was Standard Option 31. I think I read on here about using bluetooth and having the ability to interact with the phone through onboard siri... calling and txing - w/o being connected.

·
Registered
2021 Crystal Black Silica Touring (named "Emma" by the wife)
20 Posts
What standard accessory package did you get with your touring. Mine was Standard Option 31. I think I read on here about using bluetooth and having the ability to interact with the phone through onboard siri... calling and txing - w/o being connected.
Yep, mine was 31 as well. I’ll try that workflow out to see if it’s good for me, thanks for that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Gotta say, I am loving the wireless charging pad. It’s nearly invisible.

Does this pad charge the phone at the same rate as when it's charged via the cable?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Does this pad charge the phone at the same rate as when it's charged via the cable?
Not even close in my experience. That said, I just got back from a short road trip and it didn't work at all for some reason, so maybe mine is defective... The times it did work, the wireless was much slower.

I put it on the pad for 1.5 hours and it did not charge at all - light was illuminated blue and when I grabbed the phone it was just really hot. No apps were running during that time.

·
Super Moderator
2,590 Posts
Might also be noteworthy that your phone won’t charge via wireless and usb, only one or the other. I’ve never gotten a straight answer from Apple about what happens when you try both: either wired takes precedence or whichever stated first takes precedence.

·
Registered
STORMTROOPER
4 Posts
From what I've seen so far, the pad charges about as fast slow as other Qi-style pad chargers I've used. :rolleyes:

Conductive charging (at least in its current form) will never be as fast Lightning/USB-C/etc with a decent power source. But compared to the ones on my nightstand and in my office, I'd say it's very much on par with their rate.

Having a cord-free charging option that's also fairly tucked-away is what makes it worth it for me.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Wireless is inefficient but convenient. I use it everywhere except my car and camping (I actually have a wireless/wired combo battery brick I sometimes use camping - but it's not the best of choices for unlevel ground in a tent where the phone may slip partway or all the way off the coils).

So, wireless is still currently slower than the fastest available wired options for phones.

Conversely, our data/charge ports (the front two) and our charge ports (the remaining up to 6 in the car) are NOT Samsung super high speed or Apple's high speed wired charging ports. Those use a lot of power and charge very quickly... so, a high speed wireless charger may charge faster than the wired ports in the car, but will still be slower than the high speed wired offerings from Apple and Samsung (and others).

Additionally, phones, nowadays, have temperature regulation built in. Wireless charging heats up the phone (in addition to the battery warming up from being charged). Phones will slow (or even stop) charging to manage battery and phone temperatures.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts