Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Abyss Blue Pearl
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Subaru dealer is apparently running short on bandwidth, so they are outsourcing some of their clear bra installs to a local shop. They use SunTech PPF Ultra, 10 year warrantee.

Had the whole hood done using 8mm. The bumper cover, mirrors and headlights were done with 11mm. There's some debate on doing the headlights because it can be argued that it will increase operating temps. The lights on our 2021 are LED so I figured they wouldn't generate too much in the way of heat, but either way, the die is cast.

We put a lot of highway miles on our car between Arizona and Minnesota. The car we traded was a 2013 Acura RDX that still looked pretty good except for the beak and hood which was really chewed up and pitted from 100K miles. Hopefully this paint protection will help a bit.

It looks great! It was fun seeing the Ascent sitting there, looking all proud between a McLaren, a couple of Teslas and somebody's big red Dodge Ram 3500. I think that the Subaru's grill may have puffed up a bit trying to show off. Shop guy said the McLaren had less than 100 miles on it (if they bought it nearby the shop, the dealership is about 30 miles away), and was getting the whole car covered.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you've never had PPF before, it's worth it and glad to see you did the whole hood vs partial. Personally, I'd never want a dealer to install it so the fact they outsourced it, may not be such a bad thing. My cars usually go straight to the PPF shop from the dealer, so I'd consider 100 miles on a McLaren a LOT!

I've had my last 6 cars done, usually only partial front (full hood, fenders, head & fog lights, pillars, bumper, mirrors, and portion between the windshield and sunroof) but have had full front done as well. It's money well spent - especially if you're picky about paint defects/blemishes.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I contracted directly with the shop after I met with them. They were very willing to work with me. I'm glad it worked out the way it did and I'd go to them again.
Yes I did this to. Inside and outside. They took about 6 hours or better. I talked with the paint shop and they got it done on a Saturday. Probably get a little better service than most cus I got both sister in laws and nephew to buy new 2021 Ascents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts