Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 2014 Forester, the cruise control would slow the car with the transmission (not always enough on steep hills).

In my Ascent, the cruise control will apply the brakes.

I use engine braking on downhills. Somehow, I hit 90K miles on my Forester without needing new brakes.

I can only imagine that they will wear quick on my Ascent because they are used more - eh? Oh well - they are a consumable.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The traditional cruise control will throttle down and the tranny may shift, not always.

The Ascent is semi-autopilot during cruising, so it will act like a human driving it, applying both throttle and brake.

Per year (assume 20K mile), what percent is cruising?

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
In my Ascent, the cruise control will apply the brakes.
If it’s braking because of traffic, try setting the following distance higher before coming up on the traffic. It tends to not brake as hard that way.
I’m also curious if these brakes will last as long as previous vehicles. We’ll have to wait and see how they hold up for some of the higher mileage folks here. I’m at 18k but I know there are some in the 20’s and maybe even 30’s by now. I also hope the price for new pads comes down before I need them!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I observed the car uses brakes way more in driving under active cruise that I do just driving myself.

My conclusion is we as drivers are looking further ahead planning lane changes or adjustments and getting off the throttle based on what we see 1/4 mile and a dozen cars ahead.

I don’t use active cruise on my commute; traffic is dynamic with people jockeying for this exit or coming in from that ramp, and not a long way anyway. I found on open interstate it was a lot smoother and pretty much no braking was going on. But I am mostly rural here, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also do a lot of descending. I like to use engine braking. I notice that the active cruise control on my Ascent will apply the brakes when I'm going downhill. Being a nervous sort, I worry about overheating and fade and things like that on long downhill runs. My Forester would simulate downshifting and RPMs would rise. (On steep, long downhills - this is not enough.) I'm not sure, but I think I noticed my active cruise control also simulating downshifting on a recent, rather shallow, downhill. I'm a bit confused - does it or doesn't it?

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Yes, it certainly will ‘downshift’ when it can. And when that isn’t sufficient it applies the brakes as well.
Here in Virginia I drive thru tunnels a lot. On the downhill it almost never brakes, until the person in front of me stops

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.