Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Will you commit to participating in the Group Buy, and purchase by Jan 15, 2021?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
GROUP BUY: Comma Two/OpenStreet Self Driving Assist Platform for 2019 Ascents
Hello, everyone, we've arranged a Group Buy of the Comma Two/OpenStreet Self Driving Assist Platform for 2019 Ascents. This uses the Ascent's existing Eyesight cameras and radar sensors to interact with our existing system and provide the next level in driver assist, including lane centering, lane change (with blind spot integration) and continued functionality of Adaptive Cruise Control.
  • Lane Centering
  • Lane Change (with blind spot "cancel" integration)
  • Integrates with and maintains Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Maintains other Eyesight functions such as Pre-Collision Braking
So, for those of you with a 2019 Ascent who wanted features like the ones in the advanced Eyesight in the 2021, here's a far cheaper way than buying a new car.

EDIT: 2020 Support is not yet released. Only 2019 Ascents are currently supported

Before discount, the price for the whole unit is $999 for the unit, and $200 for the harness specific to our cars.

THIS GROUP BUY WOULD GIVE YOU 15% OFF
We need TEN people or more in order to get this discount.

Here's a video of it in action in the Ascent:

Here's another video of it in action in the Ascent:

Here's more info on the system:

Please vote Yes in the poll if you are definitely going to be a part of the group buy, or No, if you aren't.

Group buy closes on December 30th

Remember, of course, ALL Driver Assist systems are still ASSIST ONLY and you are still fully responsible for controlling the car. Use at your own risk.

2019 ASCENT ONLY FOR NOW

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
I'm looking forward to playing with this if the group buy goes through.

·
Registered
97 Posts
How does this work? Comma is notorious for not discounting their products. They only do it once a year. On black friday. Has comma team committed to this?

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
How does this work? Comma is notorious for not discounting their products. They only do it once a year. On black friday. Has comma team committed to this?
Yes, in writing. Everyone who commits will get a 15% off code, if we make or exceed ten.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
And lane change assist and visual representation of what's going on.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 2019 Limited. Would it allow hands free driving? Right now you cant go more than 15-30 secs with the OEM lane keep assist.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Nothing legally allows hands free driving. Watch the videos to see what it can do.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I don't really need lane change assist. I can change lanes myself and the Blind Spot monitor keeps me safe.

My eyes can tell me what's going on. It just seems like a lot of $$$ for not that much extra. It depends on your needs/wants though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nothing legally allows hands free driving. Watch the videos to see what it can do.
is that true? Cadillac has a system that allows handsfree as long as you are looking at the road ahead (it reads your eyes) and Tesla allows handsfree if you touch the wheel every min or two.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
is that true? Cadillac has a system that allows handsfree as long as you are looking at the road ahead (it reads your eyes) and Tesla allows handsfree if you touch the wheel every min or two.
It's not legal to not be in control of the car. None of them "allow" hands free as is mentioned in all of their manuals, because none of them have true self driving. The reminders are specifically to remind the driver they are to keep their hands on the wheel at all times, or in the case of Cadillac (who hasn't been sued yet, like others) to remain attentive at all times. ;)

Comma Two is rated vastly better and more capable than either system per Consumer Reports, btw.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's not legal to not be in control of the car. None of them "allow" hands free as is mentioned in all of their manuals, because none of them have true self driving. The reminders are specifically to remind the driver they are to keep their hands on the wheel at all times, or in the case of Cadillac (who hasn't been sued yet, like others) to remain attentive at all times. ;)

Comma Two is rated vastly better and more capable than either system per Consumer Reports, btw.
Yes but part of the reason it scores high is that its the best at keeping the driver engaged. That is less performance and more annoyance :) I understand that its a really good system!

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Yes but part of the reason it scores high is that its the best at keeping the driver engaged. That is less performance and more annoyance :) I understand that its a really good system!
It's in some ways equally or more capable at driving as well. ;)
(in some ways, a little less)

Again, watch the video for what it CAN do (as opposed to what people are supposed to do with it). You may be particularly interested in the FB video. ;)

Sadly, CR rated Subaru's OLD Eyesight system, instead of any of the newer versions - because I can assure you that it annoys me any time I look away from the road or aren't fully engaged with the steering wheel (though I do always drive with a hand or two on the wheel, I drive with a light touch)

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
I am certainly interested in this!
Me too. I almost considered a trade to 2021 to get Lane Centering... this is the much cheaper route, especially considering the stuff I'd have to swap from my 2019 to my 2021.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Me too. I almost considered a trade to 2021 to get Lane Centering... this is the much cheaper route, especially considering the stuff I'd have to swap from my 2019 to my 2021.
My only issue will be where the unit is located. I normally have 2 other cameras mounted there!

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
My only issue will be where the unit is located. I normally have 2 other cameras mounted there!
I think it can go higher and more behind the mirror. I have my DVR cam to the right of the right side Eyesight camera - at 170°, it hardly makes a difference when I add a slight angle to the lens to adjust for the position.

I'm eventually switching to a BlackVue dual 2K, and putting it where the blackout mask is (and scraping an opening for it).

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Oooh, what camera? I use an action cam that I mount to the roof (or a Hero 360 roof mounted), but something inside besides the car DVR might be nice.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts