Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Groaning noise when turning left - intermittent

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  packout 
For a week or so, I hear a groaning/almost rubbing noise when the steering wheel is fully turned or almost fully turned left and moving forward. I first noticed it during a drive when doing a U-turn on the road and I was not moving fast. A little body-lean but not much in that u-turn. Then I hear it now and then after backing out of a space or my driveway when turning the wheel left and moving forward. I have not made any mods to the vehicle except the Primitive Racing skidplates, so there should be no actual rubbing, I assume. I slightly feel the vibration in the steering when it happens, and the sound/feel lasts only for a second or two. I'm not sure I can reproduce it - I've tried doing figure eights in a lot at slow and not so slow speeds, but cannot make it happen, so I am not sure about taking it in just yet.
I searched other posts and did not find any description like this. Has anyone else had this happen, and it's a normal thing, or just working through things?
Binding noise on turns? It could be transfer clutch. That happened to me 6 months ago and Liberty Subaru performed AWD transfer clutch overhaul. After that all was good until last transmission recall. Either it's coincidence or reprograming transmission caused the same problem to reappear again...I'm not happy, will have to address this ASAP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.