Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2022 Ascent Touring
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a week or so, I hear a groaning/almost rubbing noise when the steering wheel is fully turned or almost fully turned left and moving forward. I first noticed it during a drive when doing a U-turn on the road and I was not moving fast. A little body-lean but not much in that u-turn. Then I hear it now and then after backing out of a space or my driveway when turning the wheel left and moving forward. I have not made any mods to the vehicle except the Primitive Racing skidplates, so there should be no actual rubbing, I assume. I slightly feel the vibration in the steering when it happens, and the sound/feel lasts only for a second or two. I'm not sure I can reproduce it - I've tried doing figure eights in a lot at slow and not so slow speeds, but cannot make it happen, so I am not sure about taking it in just yet.
I searched other posts and did not find any description like this. Has anyone else had this happen, and it's a normal thing, or just working through things?

· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,279 Posts
There have been a few reports of similar noises that sometimes indicate something amiss in the suspension/strut.

Reactions: packout

· Registered
Subaru Ascent Touring 2019
228 Posts
For a week or so, I hear a groaning/almost rubbing noise when the steering wheel is fully turned or almost fully turned left and moving forward. I first noticed it during a drive when doing a U-turn on the road and I was not moving fast. A little body-lean but not much in that u-turn. Then I hear it now and then after backing out of a space or my driveway when turning the wheel left and moving forward. I have not made any mods to the vehicle except the Primitive Racing skidplates, so there should be no actual rubbing, I assume. I slightly feel the vibration in the steering when it happens, and the sound/feel lasts only for a second or two. I'm not sure I can reproduce it - I've tried doing figure eights in a lot at slow and not so slow speeds, but cannot make it happen, so I am not sure about taking it in just yet.
I searched other posts and did not find any description like this. Has anyone else had this happen, and it's a normal thing, or just working through things?
Binding noise on turns? It could be transfer clutch. That happened to me 6 months ago and Liberty Subaru performed AWD transfer clutch overhaul. After that all was good until last transmission recall. Either it's coincidence or reprograming transmission caused the same problem to reappear again...I'm not happy, will have to address this ASAP.

· Registered
2022 Ascent Touring
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So my Ascent has been at the dealer for a couple of days, and I just spoke to the service advisor. He said the noise was from the exhaust vibrating against the Primitive Racing Mid-Armor Skidplate. They were able to reproduce it on the lift.
I checked the Primitive site for any KB posts on this or other issues and saw nothing. I will call them later, but was wondering if others who have the Mid Armor have ever had any odd noises show up?
He said there's no damage, but eventually, it will cause some issues with the pipe. So I'd like to figure out how to fix that and avoid any issues.

· Registered
2019 Ascent Limited (CWP)
54 Posts
I had experienced a similar issue - turning right there was a growl noise. Took it in and they were quickly able to determine it was the transfer clutch (I think). Ended up getting a new transmission out of it. So far the replacement has been great.

when you heard the noise, did it sound like a vibration? or a growl? Just noticed you called it a groan yet the dealer is saying vibration?

I'm no expert though.

· Premium Member
22 Posts
For what it's worth, I just had a full set of Primitive Racing skid plates installed this week, and I have not noticed any weird noises. How long did this sound take to show up after you had yours installed?

· Administrator
13,265 Posts
So my Ascent has been at the dealer for a couple of days, and I just spoke to the service advisor. He said the noise was from the exhaust vibrating against the Primitive Racing Mid-Armor Skidplate. They were able to reproduce it on the lift.
I checked the Primitive site for any KB posts on this or other issues and saw nothing. I will call them later, but was wondering if others who have the Mid Armor have ever had any odd noises show up?
He said there's no damage, but eventually, it will cause some issues with the pipe. So I'd like to figure out how to fix that and avoid any issues.
Mine rubs if I've bent them (when off-roading). I unbend them and they're fine. Can you send a pic of yours? Chances are, it may be bent at the slimmer section over the cat. If that's the cause, I solve that by propping up the ends on 4x4's (skid plate sitting the way it would on the car) and standing on that part, slightly bouncing, until it bends back flat or slightly downwards.

· Registered
2022 Ascent Touring
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to put it on the ramps and take photos, then remove the plate. I'll then drive around and test. I'm sort of convinced they found a new issue I did not know I had, and the other noise is still there. It sounds a bit like rubbing/grinding, and I noticed on the drive home a vibration noise - very faint. Just not sure until I get it up and give it some gas. I have not yet been off-road so not sure how it could be bent other than just a very tight install to the pipe.
I'm hoping it is what they said - so I don't have to take it back in.

· Registered
2022 Ascent Touring
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I removed the MId-Armor and put the four OEM bolts back in, and went for a drive. I was not able to reproduce the sound or issue with the plate removed. So I think this confirms the issue is with the plate. I could not see any rubbing or spots on the pipe, but do see a groove in the armor plate right where the mechanic said it was hitting. All the pictures, while installed, showed clearance between the two, off or running. He said as the engine revs under load, it will torque, and the pipe shifts enough to hit the plate. So will follow up with Primitive on Monday just to be sure before trying to bend slightly as suggested @Robert.Mauro
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Grille

Wood Rectangle Composite material Tints and shades Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Trunk Bumper

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Fender

Wood Tints and shades Rectangle Road surface Asphalt

· Administrator
13,265 Posts
Please show me a full view of the plate. Also, did you put the spacers between the plate and car frame rails, or below the plate? Put them between the plate and frame rails if you didn't.

So I removed the MId-Armor and put the four OEM bolts back in, and went for a drive. I was not able to reproduce the sound or issue with the plate removed. So I think this confirms the issue is with the plate. I could not see any rubbing or spots on the pipe, but do see a groove in the armor plate right where the mechanic said it was hitting. All the pictures, while installed, showed clearance between the two, off or running. He said as the engine revs under load, it will torque, and the pipe shifts enough to hit the plate. So will follow up with Primitive on Monday just to be sure before trying to bend slightly as suggested @Robert.Mauro
View attachment 18657
View attachment 18656
View attachment 18655
View attachment 18654
View attachment 18658

· Registered
2022 Ascent Touring
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, spacers were installed between the plate and frame rails. Never hit anything and have not been off-road yet, so the plate can't be bent unless it came that way. Fit on install was perfect - no issues when putting on or taking off (other than struggling to hit that torque of 105).
Below are the full pics:
Automotive exterior Gas Font Bumper Rectangle

Gas Automotive exterior Auto part Metal Wood

· Administrator
13,265 Posts
Please keep me posted on what they say (and tell Kiersten and Blake I said hi). Might just be how your suspension was hung at the factory. There's not much clearance, but it shouldn't rub.

I will say this - the risk of damaging the cat is very minimal for thousands of miles. I have bent mine and driven that way for thousands of miles (and I'm not the only one). But, it's a horrible sound, and my preference would be to get it resolved. ;)

· Registered
2022 Ascent Touring
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please keep me posted on what they say (and tell Kiersten and Blake I said hi). Might just be how your suspension was hung at the factory. There's not much clearance, but it shouldn't rub.

I will say this - the risk of damaging the cat is very minimal for thousands of miles. I have bent mine and driven that way for thousands of miles (and I'm not the only one). But, it's a horrible sound, and my preference would be to get it resolved. ;)
Thanks will do. I could not see any damage at all on the cat - only the plate, and it was very very small. Not even sure it did not come that way. I'd prefer not to have the sound, but knowing it's not something more significant is worth the test and any fix.

· Registered
2022 Ascent Touring
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Blake at Primitive said they have not heard of this issue before, so he sent out a new set of longer bolts with another set of spacers. Installing these, the noise is no longer present. Maybe my pipe was hanging a bit lower than most, or some other anomaly if no one else ever ran into this. In any case - it's fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts