Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With just over 300 miles I was finally able to capture a few recordings of the groaning during my drives. I arranged for the dealership shop foreman to take part in a drive along. He was able to hear it a bit, but thankfully I had these videos which recorded the noise. At first blush he thought it might be a wheel bearing. I hear it every day but not all the time. I do perceive the overall noise from t he 23' to be louder than the 2019 and if it is connected to a bearing noise, it would make sense. Mostly I hear it at very low speeds, mostly turning but also going straight.

I have an appointment with a loaner in January.

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid...5680B12238CB8A52!1631&authkey=AGikbybe1Y2a-Ug" width="180" height="320" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid...5680B12238CB8A52!1632&authkey=ACiK-G2BIGw14eU" width="180" height="320" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid...5680B12238CB8A52!1633&authkey=AMEJ_Yk6W71J0gg" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen></iframe>

· Registered
20 Posts
With just over 300 miles I was finally able to capture a few recordings of the groaning during my drives. I arranged for the dealership shop foreman to take part in a drive along. He was able to hear it a bit, but thankfully I had these videos which recorded the noise. At first blush he thought it might be a wheel bearing. I hear it every day but not all the time. I do perceive the overall noise from t he 23' to be louder than the 2019 and if it is connected to a bearing noise, it would make sense. Mostly I hear it at very low speeds, mostly turning but also going straight.

I have an appointment with a loaner in January.

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=5680B12238CB8A52&resid=5680B12238CB8A52!1631&authkey=AGikbybe1Y2a-Ug" width="180" height="320" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=5680B12238CB8A52&resid=5680B12238CB8A52!1632&authkey=ACiK-G2BIGw14eU" width="180" height="320" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=5680B12238CB8A52&resid=5680B12238CB8A52!1633&authkey=AMEJ_Yk6W71J0gg" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I am curious, does it sound like this?

I got my 2021 Ascent back from the dealer today for the noise in the video. There is a TSB out for front stabilizer bar bushings, so that is what they ordered and will put on next week. I am not entirely sure if they even looked at the car or not, or if they looked at my video and decided to try that first. My problem is, and perhaps you have the same, it does not happen all the time, and those are the hardest to solve.

· Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I got my 2021 Ascent back from the dealer today for the noise in the video. There is a TSB out for front stabilizer bar bushings, so that is what they ordered and will put on next week. I am not entirely sure if they even looked at the car or not, or if they looked at my video and decided to try that first. My problem is, and perhaps you have the same, it does not happen all the time, and those are the hardest to solve.
do you happen to have the TSB number?

· Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

that's the ticket!!

· Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The TSB was revised in 7/2022 to include Ascent through 2022
I guess they have to revise it again to include the 2023. I noticed that the TSB states TBD in terms of Ascent production incorporation of the new part. I wonder if they used existing parts in the 2023 models that just came out on the line. It would be strange to do so, but the only other conclusion at this point would be that the new part did not completely fix the issue.

In any case, I passed it all on to the shop foreman and it will be interesting to see how it is handled and what they come up with.

this forum (which I have been part of since 2018) always amazes me. Here we are figuring out issues before the dealership and their techs can. to be fair this guy has only done a ride along, but he did not mention the TSB possibility.

· Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
1,096 Posts
With less than 300 miles on it, my 2022 made loud creaking noises when turning sharply to the right. I thought a coil spring had become dislodged. It did it only a few times and then quit when I threatened to take it to the dealer. Not a squeak since, now at 10K+ miles. I guess it didn't want to go to the doctor so it stopped doing it. Strange!

· Administrator
13,264 Posts
Wow, nice everyone!!! Yes, the front stabilizer bushing can make that sound. When driving, over bumps with the wheel turned, it will make a clunk as well. Mine did the clunk, but not the crickety creaking sound when turning at a standstill.

But, be aware that the spring moving on the spring perch can cause that sound too. There was a TSB related to that one as well. So, I'd bet good money it's one of the two.

· Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, nice everyone!!! Yes, the front stabilizer bushing can make that sound. When driving, over bumps with the wheel turned, it will make a clunk as well. Mine did the clunk, but not the crickety creaking sound when turning at a standstill.

But, be aware that the spring moving on the spring perch can cause that sound too. There was a TSB related to that one as well. So, I'd bet good money it's one of the two.
do you happen to have the spring perch TSB number so I can pass it along to the shop manager? I seem to have a combo have the crickety creaking sound along with the deeper groaning sound.

· Administrator
13,264 Posts
do you happen to have the spring perch TSB number so I can pass it along to the shop manager? I seem to have a combo have the crickety creaking sound along with the deeper groaning sound.
Here's all TSB's related by symptom (some may not apply to your particular Ascent's build date) - the first one refers to the front shock and spring. The PDF's are NOT the most recent versions, which may have expanded years or notes, but, the numbers are the correct ones.

· Registered
20 Posts
that's the ticket!!
So, two days back I had the front bushing and brackets replaced per the TSB. While the drive quality has improved (not that it was bad, but the new bushing make the steering feel more responsive) the noise is still there. I have an appointment next Wednesday to drop it off with them so they can attach microphones underneath and drive it to find where the noise originates from. So, making some progress, but not fixed yet.

· Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, two days back I had the front bushing and brackets replaced per the TSB. While the drive quality has improved (not that it was bad, but the new bushing make the steering feel more responsive) the noise is still there. I have an appointment next Wednesday to drop it off with them so they can attach microphones underneath and drive it to find where the noise originates from. So, making some progress, but not fixed yet.
I just dropped my 23' off this morning for them to investigate my noise. I did have the shop forman on a ride along and eventually I was able to reproduce it, so it is documented with him.

· Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I
Did they find anything that could be the issue?
I Posted on the isdue including photos. The Primitive racing skid plates was rubbing on part of the exhaust. When accelerating, the exhaust vibrates slightly which causes it to gitbthe skid plate topside. Primitive Racing sent me and others a few spacers and longer bolts.

· Registered
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did they find anything that could be the issue?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts