Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Ascent Touring on Friday afternoon and there is a grinding noise at the end of the braking cycle. It's at the very end when the brake is fully engaged at a complete stop. Is this normal? My husband said to give it a week to see if it works itself out as things burn off from the manufacturing process, but I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue. Is it normal? Is it just something with this braking system? Thanks!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Brake pads are a mix of materials today. Subaru uses a ceramic brake pad that can be noisy when new and not bedded yet with the rotor. They are also noisy on cold mornings and wet days too. The up side is they last a long time, give very good hot performance.

Pads that never make much noise are a mix of less durable compounds resulting in faster wear and can often have other negatives like lower performance under higher temps etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have had the same issue... with only 7 miles on the vehicle we noticed a grinding coming from the rear brakes when coming to a stop. Took it back the following Monday and the dealer still has the vehicle. They are still trying to identify what the problem is. I agree however that it could be the brake pads. Has anyone found a true source of the problem?

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Other than a brake pad issue, grinding noise can be heard in the event that front or rear collision avoidance is activated (properly or in error). It should coincide with an appropriate warning on the driver display (front collision avoidance) or center infotainment main display (rear collision avoidance).

·
Registered
260 Posts
If the car has been sitting for a few days, and particularly if it’s been humid or rainy out, a small coat of rust will form on the brake discs. You can see the rust pretty clearly if you look at the wheels. I don’t think it’s dangerous but it can sometimes cause either a squeaking or grinding noise when you brake, at least until the rust is worn off. Often braking hard a couple of times wears it off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm hearing some squeaking of the front brakes as I begin to press on the brakes. There is almost 3,000 miles on the Ascent and it's still happening. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have similar brake sounds as srbooton. Just bought the Ascent Tour and the brakes have the grinding noise at the terminal portion of the brake. Took it back and had the salesperson ride with me to see if this is normal in the Sabaru and then referred to the Service Mgr. They kept the car for several days and replaced pads and brake disc and resurfaced front rotors and replaced rear brakes and rotors. When I drove off, the problem is still noted. I will be going back but this is the first large new SUV that I have had this problem. Brake pad problem ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm hearing some squeaking of the front brakes as I begin to press on the brakes. There is almost 3,000 miles on the Ascent and it's still happening. Any thoughts?
I just took my car In on Friday for the same reason and got no where. Service station won’t touch it til there is a bulletin from Subaru. I have 3 problems and they won’t do nothing

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is a normal amount of noise as the pads set in. I would have not allowed them to replace the pads or rotors and they should have know this is all about brake in. I have 2000 miles on my Touring with no more break noise.

·
Registered
559 Posts
IMO the grinding shuddering noise is because the brake pads are new and not bedded. I discovered the same noise the other day when I had to hit the brakes fairly hard.

My wife’s van had a similar issue when she got new pads. What j did to solve the issue was to bed the brakes. The procedure is to get up to at least 50 mph and then perform a series of emergency brake maneuvers. Do this at least 5 times in quick succession. This will heat up the brake pads, remove any glaze and bed them. My wife noticed the braking performance was markedly improved after I did this. I plan on doing the same thing to the Subie.

If you a squealing noise, that is probably from the surface rust that tends to quickly form on the rotors if you let the vehicle sit overnight. The rust should get rubbed off with normal driving. If the noise persists try bedding the pads as described here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had this when I first got mine. Then it went away for a bit after about 600 miles. Then a few weeks later it came back, it's been totally random ever since. It either creaks/clunks when I stop, or when I take my foot of the brake pedal. At 5 months/3600 miles I'm long past the parts settling in phase, so I dunno what's causing it. It drives me insane...

·
Registered
559 Posts
I had this when I first got mine. Then it went away for a bit after about 600 miles. Then a few weeks later it came back, it's been totally random ever since. It either creaks/clunks when I stop, or when I take my foot of the brake pedal. At 5 months/3600 miles I'm long past the parts settling in phase, so I dunno what's causing it. It drives me insane...
Have you tried bedding the pads as I described in the previous post?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've noticed this problem since I picked up my Touring on July 3, and was told it was due to being new. Mentioned it last Friday when I was in for 12,000 mile service (already!!) and there's a service bulletin on it now. My dealership doesn't have what is needed to fix it yet, nor do any others nearby. They were supposed to have it today but now say it should be there by Thursday. I recommend you call your dealer to ask about this new bulletin. I saw it and I believe it was dated late January.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've noticed this problem since I picked up my Touring on July 3, and was told it was due to being new. Mentioned it last Friday when I was in for 12,000 mile service (already!!) and there's a service bulletin on it now. My dealership doesn't have what is needed to fix it yet, nor do any others nearby. They were supposed to have it today but now say it should be there by Thursday. I recommend you call your dealer to ask about this new bulletin. I saw it and I believe it was dated late January.

Did you have this fix done yet, or have any more information about what it is or what it is addressing? My 6000 mile service is coming up, so if there's something out there I'll mention it to them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have you tried bedding the pads as I described in the previous post?

Reading about the procedure online, I don't really have any place around me where I could do such a thing unless I find a highway in the middle of the night and hope I don't run into a cop. :)

I almost feel like it's something more suspension or drivetrain-related, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Reading about the procedure online, I don't really have any place around me where I could do such a thing unless I find a highway in the middle of the night and hope I don't run into a cop. :)

I almost feel like it's something more suspension or drivetrain-related, but I could be wrong.
You don’t have any nearly deserted roads? Go later at night?

Ever since I did the bedding procedure, I’ve not noticed anymore shuddering.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You don’t have any nearly deserted roads? Go later at night?

Ever since I did the bedding procedure, I’ve not noticed anymore shuddering.

I could probably find such a place, yeah.

Though, I'm not getting shudder/judder so much as a knock/clunk when coming to a full stop or taking my foot off the brake.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I could probably find such a place, yeah.

Though, I'm not getting shudder/judder so much as a knock/clunk when coming to a full stop or taking my foot off the brake.
Try the procedure I described. If it doesn’t work then see the dealer. Make sure you get up to at least 50 mph and slam on the brakes as hard as you can. Repeat at least 5 times if not more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Try the procedure I described. If it doesn’t work then see the dealer. Make sure you get up to at least 50 mph and slam on the brakes as hard as you can. Repeat at least 5 times if not more.

Tried this on the way to work yesterday. Did a series of 40MPH-5, then 50-5, and a few coming down from 60mph. Then drive without stopping for about 10 more minutes and parked it. Actually seemed better on the way home, so I was optimistic, but this morning she's back to clunking.

I'll bring it up with the dealer at my 6,000 mile service. Hopefully I don't get the same "It's normal" response.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Is the clunking happening today just at the beginning of your drive or all throughout the day? The reason I ask is because the rotors will develop a layer of oxidation overnight. So during your initial braking you can get some squealing until the pads wipe away the oxidation. Other than that I can’t think of a reason you’d be getting some other noise unless something is loose.

I recommend you arrange to have one of the service techs go on a ride with you. Show him yourself exactly what the clunk is. Otherwise all you’ll get is an “unable to replicate” message from the service department.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.