Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prius owners, watch out! Here I come! 40.2mpg!

That's after 8 miles on the tank!

But seriously, I'm getting 24mpg normally. I get 22mpg if I "love" the turbo and drive like a sports car - fast 0-60 and 85+ on the freeway. I can get 26-28mpg if I drive like granny! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The best mileage I ever got in my wife’s Chevy truck with a 5.3 V8 was about 36mpg......but I was driving down a mountain.

Were you diving down a mountain to get 40mpg?

I am glad to see a post for good mileage. I got 24-26 mpg easy in my Ascent.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Prius owners, watch out! Here I come! 40.2mpg!

That's after 8 miles on the tank!

But seriously, I'm getting 24mpg normally. I get 22mpg if I "love" the turbo and drive like a sports car - fast 0-60 and 85+ on the freeway. I can get 26-28mpg if I drive like granny! :D
Okay, something is terribly wrong here!! Consumers Report rated the Ascent at 14 mpg in the city, and (I think 32 on the hwy), and they do actual road testing. I am getting 20.1, according to the computer - as I watch the gas gauge drop unusually fast. And I am very gentle with my gas pedal......My next fill up is going to be done "old school" with a pencil and paper. I babied it coming home from the dealer (200 miles) and I don't think I got more than 24 mpg. Most people on the forum are griping about their gas mileage - so you have brightened our day.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm getting very bad mileage. But I believe that's due to winter weather. From my experience so far, this beast does not like idle time and winter, as far as mileage is concerned . In winter I remote start the car 5- 10 ahead of the driving. And in winter/ snowy conditions generally people drive slow causing a lots of traffic jams that also cause the dip. One day on December the temperature raised to 7C/ 44.6 F and the mileage increased drastically with same fuel and same all other conditions. It was showing 440 km left in the morning and after driving on mostly highway in the evening for about 100 kms, it was showing 530 km left, meaning almost 200 km more than in the morning.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The best mileage I ever got in my wife’s Chevy truck with a 5.3 V8 was about 36mpg......but I was driving down a mountain.

Were you diving down a mountain to get 40mpg?

I am glad to see a post for good mileage. I got 24-26 mpg easy in my Ascent.
Not quite down a mountain. It's a slight downhill from the gas station to work on a 8 mile stretch. It's "rural city" so there's only a stop light every mile. If I catch all the lights (missed one that morning) I can get really good gas mileage on the way in. In my 2017 Outback I actually had 63mpg when I got in to work :D

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, something is terribly wrong here!! Consumers Report rated the Ascent at 14 mpg in the city, and (I think 32 on the hwy), and they do actual road testing. I am getting 20.1, according to the computer - as I watch the gas gauge drop unusually fast. And I am very gentle with my gas pedal......My next fill up is going to be done "old school" with a pencil and paper. I babied it coming home from the dealer (200 miles) and I don't think I got more than 24 mpg. Most people on the forum are griping about their gas mileage - so you have brightened our day.
Yeah, the EPA rating is 21/27 or 20/26 depending on the trim as the vehicle gets heavier.

When I was breaking in my car, I kept the RPMs under 2,500 was gentle on the throttle and never exceeded 60mph. I was getting 30mpg+ then and got 38mpg on a 300 mile road trip that way. Much of my driving is on "city rural" streets so my traffic isn't heavy and there's at least a mile between stop lights so I don't have to stop and go much. Getting a 4,500lb car moving takes lots of energy.

It has a large frontal area so as soon as you go above 70mph the mpg really starts to dive.

If you're easy on the throttle and go the speed limit, it's not too hard to get decent mileage, especially for a vehicle of this size and power. But the turbo is so much fun it's hard to keep off it all the time!

There's the throttle mapper you can buy that makes the throttle less sensitive so that it takes more gas pedal travel to get the same amount of power. That helps most people as they subconsciously drive the same way and then the car doesn't work as hard. I personally do that with my throttle foot and under normal driving barely have to touch the pedal.

Keep the RPMs under 2,500 and closer to 2,000 and the turbo isn't really producing boost, so the computer doesn't have to increase the fuel rate to match all the air going into the engine. As soon as you're above 3,000 you've got a lot more power which also means more fuel.

I even got 16mpg while towing my race car to the track. 4,700lbs total off the back and it went along just fine.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm getting very bad mileage. But I believe that's due to winter weather. From my experience so far, this beast does not like idle time and winter, as far as mileage is concerned . In winter I remote start the car 5- 10 ahead of the driving. And in winter/ snowy conditions generally people drive slow causing a lots of traffic jams that also cause the dip. One day on December the temperature raised to 7C/ 44.6 F and the mileage increased drastically with same fuel and same all other conditions. It was showing 440 km left in the morning and after driving on mostly highway in the evening for about 100 kms, it was showing 530 km left, meaning almost 200 km more than in the morning.
Once you said you idled a lot I was curious how much does it actually cost you. So I turned on my OBD monitor and while idling I use 0.4 gal/hr of gas. I'm pretty sure when it's colder (I'm in AZ so a cold morning is still 45F) it'll be at least 0.5 gal/hr to idle and heck, it makes the math easier.

So if you do 10 mins of idling each day for 6 days, you've used 0.5 gals of gas and travelled 0 miles! So every 2 weeks you're throwing away 1 gal of gas! :D

Isn't 2 mins of warmup enough? I don't really know as my car is in the garage where it's usually 50F in the morning and I don't have remote start!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I barely warm up the car. Subies warm up extremely quickly. I know my Outback had some sort of flap system that would close when it’s cold and you start it up in the morning.

BTW my first tank of gas yielded 21.8 mpg in a mix of 60% city 40% freeway driving. This number was arrived at by hand calculation. The variable is I don’t know how full the full tank of gas I got from the dealer was.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I would recommend hand calculating the MPG as I have found the dash shows a bit higher than what the pump will say. My highest is right below 25MPG on a long trip with the car fully loaded. I figure if I had less weight in the car it might have been up around 27-28MPG but most trips the car is loaded to the ceiling!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Once you said you idled a lot I was curious how much does it actually cost you. So I turned on my OBD monitor and while idling I use 0.4 gal/hr of gas. I'm pretty sure when it's colder (I'm in AZ so a cold morning is still 45F) it'll be at least 0.5 gal/hr to idle and heck, it makes the math easier.

So if you do 10 mins of idling each day for 6 days, you've used 0.5 gals of gas and travelled 0 miles! So every 2 weeks you're throwing away 1 gal of gas! :D

Isn't 2 mins of warmup enough? I don't really know as my car is in the garage where it's usually 50F in the morning and I don't have remote start!
Not everyday. Usually if it is -10C/14F - 15C/5F, I don't even warm the car up. But Jan - Feb in Ottawa, Canada there are a lot of days in a week that is easily less than - 15C/5F and that's when I require warming up. I don't check exactly how long I am warming up the car either. It is very irregular. Usually my son( day care) , wife and myself go together as we all are in close distance( although a bit far from home). So I remote start my car when I think we can start in next few minutes. But in realty that's when my little once decides he doesn't want Superman mitten Today, but he wants Spiderman mitten or he wants old boots instead of new boots and there goes couple more minutes.

It warms up pretty quickly though even with the very large interior space and we all feel comfortable even the coldest day. So no complaints for mileage as we consider we are paying little bit in exchange for the comfort.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It warms up pretty quickly though even with the very large interior space and we all feel comfortable even the coldest day. So no complaints for mileage as we consider we are paying little bit in exchange for the comfort.
True enough! Worth it for the comfort!

I know I can get 26mpg or more if I'm really careful and slow with the throttle. But I just love it too much and stomp on it from time to time. It's worth the drop in mpg for the smiles! Smiles instead of miles!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another great weekend. Got 22mpg on a 850 mile round-trip to San Diego.

22mpg doesn't sound great but it's pretty good given most of the time on the highway I had the cruise pegged as fast as it could go! Only got 24mpg in my Outback in conditions like that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am steadily getting better gas mileage with each tank as it breaks in more. When I first got it I was ready to turn the car back in after a week cause i was getting 16-17mpg mixed driving. Never had a car get so far off its advertised mileage, even during the break-in. I'm hoping they come out with some mods that help it even more. K&N filter arrives in a couple days.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This Sunday I went from the seacoast New Hampshire (200' above sea level) up to Cannon Mountain (2,000' above sea level) and back. Had 5 people, all the ski equipment and an old school ski rack on the crossbars. Got 21.5 mpg for the trip of 220 miles. I'll take it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
True enough! Worth it for the comfort!

I know I can get 26mpg or more if I'm really careful and slow with the throttle. But I just love it too much and stomp on it from time to time. It's worth the drop in mpg for the smiles! Smiles instead of miles!

I do fine in town, usually between 18.5 -20 mpg (limited)but I've never been able to get more than 23ish on the highway...probably has something to do with setting the cruise on 85 :devil:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I drove about 1200 miles, 50/50:city/hwy, and got 20.0mpg. My dash says 21.5mpg. I'll be driving hwy more in the next months and I'm hopeful that my calculation will be at 21MPG. Otherwise, I don't think I'll ever reaching 24 or 25mpg for me. Houston is geographically flat w/ elevation differential of about 50ft across the metro area.

Obviously, the car computer is about 7% higher than my calculation.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.