Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I been reading many have had bad gas milage with their ascent. I have about 5k miles on it now and have been getting around 22-23 mpg with mix driving (calculated at the pump, car shows about 1mpg higher). I have read through many thread and people said this car doesn't like higher speed so I put it to the test.

Just came back from a 4 day trip to Lake Tahoe from San Diego with my wife and one year old son. Got lucky and got fresh snow on first day we were there. On the trip there I varied speed between 70-75 mph. I was getting about 25 mpg. On the leg back when I filled, I set my cruise to 67-68 and went all the way home and amazingly got over 32 mpg which should calculate out to be about 30-31 mpg once I calculate it out.

Since I learned a lot from this community so I hope someone finds this info helpful. Again I don't normally drive 67 mph but wanted to put it to the test. I'm happy with the 22 or 23 I get from my mix driving on a daily basis.

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Howdy! ? I'm from SD too and I've experienced that type of mileage once or twice, but my lifetime average is just above 20. I feel like my mpgs have dropped a tad since the recalls (not necessarily saying they're correlated). My car currenlty states 18.6, but I've only got about 100 miles on this tank - It may average out. I also drop off my kid at school in the morning after a cold start and a 0.6 mile drive in a very hilly neighborhood (everything in SD is hilly, except the mesas). That probably hurts me too.

When I go to the mountains I get around 21-22 for the overall trip. Usually when I hit the freeway after decending the mountains on the way home, I just want to go like a bat out of hell after enduring all the twisty roads. I'm sure that doesn't help.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I've been consistently hovering at 20.5mpg for the last 20K miles. It was like that since day one (and I posted the data set in one thread)!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I been reading many have had bad gas milage with their ascent. I have about 5k miles on it now and have been getting around 22-23 mpg with mix driving (calculated at the pump, car shows about 1mpg higher). I have read through many thread and people said this car doesn't like higher speed so I put it to the test.

Just came back from a 4 day trip to Lake Tahoe from San Diego with my wife and one year old son. Got lucky and got fresh snow on first day we were there. On the trip there I varied speed between 70-75 mph. I was getting about 25 mpg. On the leg back when I filled, I set my cruise to 67-68 and went all the way home and amazingly got over 32 mpg which should calculate out to be about 30-31 mpg once I calculate it out.

Since I learned a lot from this community so I hope someone finds this info helpful. Again I don't normally drive 67 mph but wanted to put it to the test. I'm happy with the 22 or 23 I get from my mix driving on a daily basis.
Another factor in the variation you experienced is the elevation. Lake Tahoe is at around 6,200' above sea level while SD is essentially at sea level. Your car had to work harder to get you to LT vs getting you back home to SD.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Another factor in the variation you experienced is the elevation. Lake Tahoe is at around 6,200' above sea level while SD is essentially at sea level. Your car had to work harder to get you to LT vs getting you back home to SD.
About 1 mile elevation change over a 600+ mile trip is inconsequential.

·
Registered
57 Posts
About 1 mile elevation change over a 600+ mile trip is inconsequential.
It might seem inconsequential to the driver, but the car sees it. 6k+ feet in total elevation drop is a big deal, especially to the Ascent's turbo 4. The OP's number show this. The Ascent can get into the high 20's on the highway, but it's certainly not getting 30+ mpg over a sustained period of time without a little bit of extra help.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It might seem inconsequential to the driver, but the car sees it. 6k+ feet in total elevation drop is a big deal, especially to the Ascent's turbo 4. The OP's number show this. The Ascent can get into the high 20's on the highway, but it's certainly not getting 30+ mpg over a sustained period of time without a little bit of extra help.
The elevation drop is over a very short distance; 50 miles is my measurement. I drive to Tahoe ski resorts 2 or 3 times a week from an elevation of 1800 to the parking lot at 7200'. Let's say we spot the those 50 miles of downhill as not using any fuel. The total trip was 32mpg. The other 550 miles averaged 30mpg then, a difference of 8% (50/600=.08) Meaning if he got 32mpg for 600 miles, 50 of those essentially gifted as not using any fuel, and representing 8% of the driving distance, so fuel economy dropped by 8%. Call it 29.5mpg. Of course he did use fuel for those 50 miles, so round it up to 30mpg.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The elevation drop is over a very short distance; 50 miles is my measurement. I drive to Tahoe ski resorts 2 or 3 times a week from an elevation of 1800 to the parking lot at 7200'. Let's say we spot the those 50 miles of downhill as not using any fuel. The total trip was 32mpg. The other 550 miles averaged 30mpg then, a difference of 8% (50/600=.08) Meaning if he got 32mpg for 600 miles, 50 of those essentially gifted as not using any fuel, and representing 8% of the driving distance, so fuel economy dropped by 8%. Call it 29.5mpg. Of course he did use fuel for those 50 miles, so round it up to 30mpg.
Trust me, I get what you're trying to say. I'm "coming off the mountain weekly". I really think you're overcomplicating it though. I could actually argue your math just proves my point. The "other 550" miles? 30mpg? Because it's still dropping. The car is still benefiting from that slight elevation decrease ALL the way home. Again, probably not noticeable to the driver, but it will be to the car.

Lake Tahoe - 6,225'
Bishop - 4,150'
Lone Pine - 3,727'
San Bernardino - 1,053'
San Diego - 62'

I'm not really theorizing anything here. I'm just bringing up a valid variable.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Trust me, I get what you're trying to say. I'm "coming off the mountain weekly". I really think you're overcomplicating it though. I could actually argue your math just proves my point. The "other 550" miles? 30mpg? Because it's still dropping. The car is still benefiting from that slight elevation decrease ALL the way home. Again, probably not noticeable to the driver, but it will be to the car.

Lake Tahoe - 6,225'
Bishop - 4,150'
Lone Pine - 3,727'
San Bernardino - 1,053'
San Diego - 62'

I'm not really theorizing anything here. I'm just bringing up a valid variable.
I don't know what route the driver took, but I doubt it was hwy 395 as you indicate. I would bet he took Interstate 5 up the central valley to Sacramento, then up Hwy 50 to Tahoe. The whole central valley is just above sea level. Sacramento I think is around 300' above. From where the elevation starts to climb, it's 50 miles to the summit.
I've driven 395 many times from Disneyland to Tahoe and back and it's a whole lot longer drive time than running up Interstate 5 or hwy 99. About 4 hours longer drive time. It's not a gradual grade, there's a reason few people run it over taking Interstate 5 or 99.
But in any case, I'll stand behind my own experience with these roads and what mileage elevation changes will bring about. Thanks for the discussion and Cheers!

·
Registered
355 Posts
For fun added another 60 freeway miles doing some errands.
I see from your photo that you are turning 1900rpm at 65mph. My Ascent does 1800rpm at 70mph. Flat land of course. I wonder at the difference and how that can affect mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good eye SkiPro. I have torque app open and what I noticed when I force into 8 gear the RMP drops but I noticed any incline the throttle body percent open was more in Torque app. Not sure how accurate the Torque app is but yeah I noticed though the RPM was lower forcing into 8 year sometimes the Throttle position percentage was higher (not sure if that makes sense). So I just let the car do its own thing.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I see from your photo that you are turning 1900rpm at 65mph. My Ascent does 1800rpm at 70mph. Flat land of course. I wonder at the difference and how that can affect mpg.
1800rpm at 70mph?! Pretty sure mine is nowhere close to that low. Will be testing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts