Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We picked up our 2020 Limited this past Tuesday and are planning to tow our little vintage Scotty to the Eastern Shore of Maryland this Friday for a gathering with a camping club. Being one who reads the owners manual, I know that we needed to break it in to the tune of 1,000 miles before towing.

So my wife and I drove down to Shenandoah National Park (Skyline Drive) on Saturday. We also stopped to visit and have lunch with my brother at Massanutten Resort. Round trip from our house, was about 380 miles. No major grades, but we did have cruise control set about 80mph on the highways. There was a lot of stop-and-go on Skyline Drive, which killed our gas mileage, so round trip we ended with 23.8mpg. I can't believe it! After reading the horror stories here, I'm surprised we got above 15mpg!

Obligatory Skyline Drive picture (and the first of our Ascent)

To continue the break-in period we drove to New Jersey yesterday, to visit my wife's family. About 390 miles round trip, almost all turnpike, cruising around 80mph. I can't believe it! 26.5mpg for the trip! After reading on here I feel like the transmission should be screaming at us and blue smoke billowing from the exhaust! But nope, nothing.

The Ascent handled all the roads wonderfully! From the bumpy turnpike at 80mph, to the 35mph windy grades of Skyline Drive, it drove great! I couldn't believe it! It felt solid in the corners with minimal body roll, and the CVT was really smooth. I am a bit disappointed it doesn't corner like our Koenigsegg Agera, and the acceleration isn't quite as good, but we'll manage. ?

Someone mentioned the noise from the sunroof. After driving with it wide open for most of each morning, we closed it as the weather warmed up, and turned on the A/C. I couldn't believe it! No issues opening or closing multiple times both days! And it hasn't cracked yet! Wow! I did notice that if its open and you want to close it, you push the button forward to close it, but it still remains popped up, so you have to hit the button again to drop it down and seal it. I wonder if the person complaining abut the sunroof noise failed to fully close it. With it FULLY closed, it was very pleasant inside, and my wife event commented about it.

And I mentioned the A/C. It cooled us down pretty fast. I couldn't believe it! It wasn't super hot outside - only 92 degrees, but we were as cool as could be.

Did we get the only Ascent that was driven off the lot and functioned exactly as it should? Maybe we're still in the honeymoon phase and it will all fall apart this weekend. ?

Long story short, there's a lot of complaining around here, and I'm sure there are issues because of course there are. No manufacturer is perfect! But any decent manufacturer (coupled with a decent dealer) will do what they need to to make things right! It just seems there are a lot more super critical and negative posts than there are positive posts. And I know, its a forum, so there will be complaints, but wow, some people just like to bitch.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to know that my Bugatti Veyron isn't the only hypercar that out accelerates and out corners an Ascent SUV. ?
? ? ?

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
130 Posts
We picked up our 2020 Limited this past Tuesday and are planning to tow our little vintage Scotty to the Eastern Shore of Maryland this Friday for a gathering with a camping club. Being one who reads the owners manual, I know that we needed to break it in to the tune of 1,000 miles before towing.

So my wife and I drove down to Shenandoah National Park (Skyline Drive) on Saturday. We also stopped to visit and have lunch with my brother at Massanutten Resort. Round trip from our house, was about 380 miles. No major grades, but we did have cruise control set about 80mph on the highways. There was a lot of stop-and-go on Skyline Drive, which killed our gas mileage, so round trip we ended with 23.8mpg. I can't believe it! After reading the horror stories here, I'm surprised we got above 15mpg!

Obligatory Skyline Drive picture (and the first of our Ascent)

View attachment 1589

To continue the break-in period we drove to New Jersey yesterday, to visit my wife's family. About 390 miles round trip, almost all turnpike, cruising around 80mph. I can't believe it! 26.5mpg for the trip! After reading on here I feel like the transmission should be screaming at us and blue smoke billowing from the exhaust! But nope, nothing.

The Ascent handled all the roads wonderfully! From the bumpy turnpike at 80mph, to the 35mph windy grades of Skyline Drive, it drove great! I couldn't believe it! It felt solid in the corners with minimal body roll, and the CVT was really smooth. I am a bit disappointed it doesn't corner like our Koenigsegg Agera, and the acceleration isn't quite as good, but we'll manage. ?

Someone mentioned the noise from the sunroof. After driving with it wide open for most of each morning, we closed it as the weather warmed up, and turned on the A/C. I couldn't believe it! No issues opening or closing multiple times both days! And it hasn't cracked yet! Wow! I did notice that if its open and you want to close it, you push the button forward to close it, but it still remains popped up, so you have to hit the button again to drop it down and seal it. I wonder if the person complaining abut the sunroof noise failed to fully close it. With it FULLY closed, it was very pleasant inside, and my wife event commented about it.

And I mentioned the A/C. It cooled us down pretty fast. I couldn't believe it! It wasn't super hot outside - only 92 degrees, but we were as cool as could be.

Did we get the only Ascent that was driven off the lot and functioned exactly as it should? Maybe we're still in the honeymoon phase and it will all fall apart this weekend. ?

Long story short, there's a lot of complaining around here, and I'm sure there are issues because of course there are. No manufacturer is perfect! But any decent manufacturer (coupled with a decent dealer) will do what they need to to make things right! It just seems there are a lot more super critical and negative posts than there are positive posts. And I know, its a forum, so there will be complaints, but wow, some people just like to bitch.
"Did we get the only Ascent that was driven off the lot and functioned exactly as it should? Maybe we're still in the honeymoon phase and it will all fall apart this weekend" made me laugh out loud! Well done! :)

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Thank you all for the laughs, today, and the wonderfully written adventure story!!! :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
I think a good portion of why people complain about the MPG on the Ascent is that it is such a free revving car and without having set gears you don't have the huge drop where you might let off a bit. I know that when I get on it the MPG drop quickly but if I drive like I normally would I have been close to 30MPG on the highway going 70MPH from Baltimore to DC (no traffic)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.