Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stand-alone GPS Unit Placement On Dash - Any Suggestions?

I'm supposed to pick up our new Ascent tomorrow.

After reading the Eyesight Quick Guide I'm wondering where others wound up putting their aftermarket GPS system.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I'm supposed to pick up our new Ascent tomorrow.

After reading the Eyesight Quick Guide I'm wondering where others wound up putting their aftermarket GPS system.
How big? Do you mean a whole GPS/Nav system? If so, look at the full Eyesight manual, and it will show the safe area.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it's a stand-alone Garmin 65LMT (6" diagonal screen) currently sitting on the dash of my Accord

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The manual isn't real clear about the "safe" areas - are the "B" zones safe?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The manual isn't real clear about the "safe" areas - are the "B" zones safe?
I would mount it like a regular phone, with a proclip (or similar product) on the front of the dash. That way it won't interfere with the safety systems.

Garmin does not yet have a mount for the Ascent, but they will soon enough.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sparkland - Thanks for the info.

I "re-looked" at the Eyesight Quick Start and Zone "C" (on left side of dash near the windshield pillar) appears to be the only place I can place it and not interfere with Eyesight.

What additional info do you have on the Garmin Ascent mount?

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
No it's a stand-alone Garmin 65LMT (6" diagonal screen) currently sitting on the dash of my Accord
I also have this GPS which I have successfully mounted onto the vent on the right side of the head unit in my Ascent.

I used this mount holder from Amazon, the great thing here is that it can clip onto vertical or horizontal vents.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SV2LZW6

·
Registered
27 Posts
No sure about the Ascent but in my Legacy I've mounted one as low as it would go on the center it basically is on the dash in the middle and eyesight still worked perfectly. I've place my parking pass for work right above the steering wheel before and the reflection from it caused eyesight to turn off.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
The Legacy has a big zone that's clear of the cameras, unlike the Ascent ?

No sure about the Ascent but in my Legacy I've mounted one as low as it would go on the center it basically is on the dash in the middle and eyesight still worked perfectly. I've place my parking pass for work right above the steering wheel before and the reflection from it caused eyesight to turn off.

·
Registered
567 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been using Garmins for 15+ years and switching to maps on my phone (smaller screen than my Garmin) would be like trying to drive with the steering wheel on the right side of the car.

I'm going to try experimenting with placement and will let you know.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've been using Garmins for 15+ years and switching to maps on my phone (smaller screen than my Garmin) would be like trying to drive with the steering wheel on the right side of the car.
Android Auto / Apple Carplay both put your GPS on your infotainment system. Thats a 6.5" screen in the base model, or 8" in any of the higher models. Both bigger than your existing Garmin.

Give it a shot. You'll never go back. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Android Auto / Apple Carplay both put your GPS on your infotainment system. Thats a 6.5" screen in the base model, or 8" in any of the higher models. Both bigger than your existing Garmin.

Give it a shot. You'll never go back. :)
Sometimes I just want a map on the screen without going anywhere in particular. Seems hard to do, I need to run the map app and it's a pain.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sometimes I just want a map on the screen without going anywhere in particular. Seems hard to do, I need to run the map app and it's a pain.
Not in the least bit. Start up AA/AC.. click on the maps button. Thats it. No need to put in a destination.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Give it a shot. You'll never go back. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Google Maps on Android has driving mode, which is essentially a Navi with no destination. You can create a widget for it as a shortcut, shows you traffic too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Google Maps on Android has driving mode, which is essentially a Navi with no destination. You can create a widget for it as a shortcut, shows you traffic too.
Thats only when running it on a phone though, which he doesn't want to do because of the smaller screen.

AA has that built-in natively. I'm not sure about Carplay.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thats only when running it on a phone though, which he doesn't want to do because of the smaller screen.

AA has that built-in natively. I'm not sure about Carplay.
Yes, AA uses Google Maps driving mode, just giving notoptions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As I said previously, I've used Garmins for 15+ years and have literally hundred of saved locations. Will AA allow me to save locations, addresses and GPS coordinates on my phone?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just looked at the AA website - it may be a player

Thanks to all who suggested AA, will have to see if it's a practical conversion for a loyal Garmin follower.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.