Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ascent Touring

Here's a little time line of the issues I have been experiencing.

11/29/18 I go to the dealer for the re-delivery of my Ascent. She notices I don't have a driver profile set up, explains to me that it is based on your phone, and it sets up your gps and radio presets for you. She sets up a driver profile.

11/30/18 All my stored presets erase themselves.

12/3/18 All my stored presets erase themselves.

12/4/18 All my stored presets erase themselves.

12/6/18 I email the salesperson I purchased the car from, explained about the presets erasing themselves, explained it didn't start happening until after the driver profile was set up, and asked if there were any software updates to address the issue. He responds that he will check with the service manager and let me know.

12/8/18 All my stored presets erase themselves.

12/10/18 I hear back from the sales person that there is in fact a software update to correct the issue with the presets deleting themselves, and to call and make an appointment to have the radio software updated. I explain to him that it is finals week, and I would call later in the week (after I have taken my exams) to set up an appointment.

12/13/18 My brother is in a bad accident and is taken to the hospital. Not exactly sure how to get to the hospital, I open the map screen, but it is just a blank grey screen. I attempt to search for the hospital, but the search fails. I pull out my phone, look up the address, type it in, but it fails to calculate a route. Frustrated I plug my phone into the usb and use android auto for directions.

12/14/18 I drive to the dealer, explain to them that my gps has now quit working, and I am supposed to be leaving on a road trip in less than 24 hours. They agree to assign a technician to do the radio update, pull my vehicle back right away, and inform me that it will take about 30 minutes. After 1 hour I go back to the service desk and ask about an update. He informs me that they were able to install the update, but that it didn't fix the issue with the gps. They were in the process of doing a factory data reset, and that it should only be another 15 minutes. After another hour passes, I again go to the service desk and ask for an update. Again he tells me that the reset process was performed successfully, but that still didn't fix the issue with the gps, so they were involved in a process to step through the radio something (sorry I don't remember exactly) to see if the entire infotainment system needed replaced. That would likely take another hour. About 45 minutes later he said they finished performing all the steps needed, and that all the information points to everything working correctly, but the gps still doesn't work. They had to take down some information and send it to SoA, and would let me know when there hear something back from them. In the meantime, my gps doesn't work and I am just supposed to use android auto for gps for the road trip I am about to go on. Not exactly what I want to hear as I only have 1GB of shared data to keep my phone bill low, and don't want to waste that on gps when I bought a vehicle that has it.

12/15/18 We are getting ready to go on our road trip, I reluctantly plug my phone in to use android auto, but android auto doesn't respond. I go to the app screen, and it is greyed out, not selectable. I unplug my phone plug it back in, same result. I use the cable that came with my wife's phone, same result. In order to get to the highway, I have to pass by a best buy, so I stop in and buy a brand new cable, android auto still doesn't work. Remember though that it worked fine before the radio update when my gps first failed. I used the same cable then as the first one I tried. i then drive back home and get my Garmin that I used in my previous vehicle.

12/16/18 The clock in the smaller upper display randomly changed time. I have it set to auto, so I switched it to manual but I don't know how to change the time, so I switched it back to auto. It is about 5 hours fast from what the time should be.

12/17/18 I emailed the dealership again to inform them of the latest issues, but still haven't heard back from them.

It no longer displays the speed limit in the gauge cluster area either, I'm guessing this is because the gps isn't working.

I just wanted to put this information out there in case anyone else is having issues.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Have they look into for potential hardware issue yet? I would start by removing the HU and see if all wires/harness plugged in. It sounds silly but there have been documentation of silly acts done by SOA during manufacturing

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same issue for me ... GPS stopped working as well.

It seems to be stuck in updating new map data for me and is unsuccessful on every try to update the map data, gets to around 60% before it quits with an error when you go in the menu to update the maps data.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same issue for me ... GPS stopped working as well.

It seems to be stuck in updating new map data for me and is unsuccessful on every try to update the map data, gets to around 60% before it quits with an error when you go in the menu to update the maps data.
According to SoA, that's what happened. I disconnected form my wifi while the map was trying to update and it caused an error. The dealership had me connect to wifi again and search for an update. I downloaded the update which said it was successful. I live in ohio, and now everything shows up, but ohio. Ohio is blank. The GPS will find a location outside of Ohio, but when you try to calculate a route it fails. I am downloading the map update from the internet to a usb drive, and going to attempt to update it that way. The wifi update took about 1.5 minutes, and the download from the internet to my computer took about 45 minutes. It is currently downloading to a 32GB usb drive, and it looks like that is going to take another 45 minutes. I guessing I plug the usb drive into one of the 2 front usb ports in the Ascent, and it will auto upload to the GPS, but not sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

There is an available map update from https://subaru-maps.com. If you haven't done so already, you need to sign up for an account and you can download the update to a USB drive. The USB drive needs to have at least 16GB of free space. I used a 32GB. It will erase anything already on the USB drive, and makes you chack a box acknowledging that it will be erased. You also need to have your VIN number handy when registering. The update fixed all the issues I was having, and took about 2 hours total start to finish. There is a lot of good information about the update available in this thread: https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...orum/3187-software-map-updates-how-where.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
My GPS stopped working as well. No speed limit on the Dash. The Map Update is something I will look into.
I'm not sure if it is related or not, but occasionally the speed limit display will give weird numbers like 94 MPH in a 55 MPH zone, or 64 in a 40.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I did use a USB 3.0 tonight to make the updates since Illinois disappeared off my map. It took a grand total of 28 minutes to update both my 19 Ascent and my 19 Forester. Both took the same update which was nice. Mine did pause at 78% like others mentioned. To be exact, it took 6:57 to get to 78%, then 5:46 to move past 78%, and only 0:41 after the pause to complete. Hopefully this helps anyone interested in completing the update.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My GPS stopped working as well. No speed limit on the Dash. The Map Update is something I will look into.
I'm not sure if it is related or not, but occasionally the speed limit display will give weird numbers like 94 MPH in a 55 MPH zone, or 64 in a 40.
Update on GPS issue. I tried to manually load the map from the car display using the house Wifi. It failed. Since the car is still under warranty, I went ahead and took it in for them to resolve. I don't have the time to mess with it right now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update on GPS issue. I tried to manually load the map from the car display using the house Wifi. It failed. Since the car is still under warranty, I went ahead and took it in for them to resolve. I don't have the time to mess with it right now.
When I tried the Wifi update, nothing changed, and it said the update was successful. It wasn't until I did the USB update that the issue was resolved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Update. I took this to the dealer, they downloaded the map to a usb drive and updated. Now it works.
I turned off auto update. I suspect the root cause of the issue was a corruption while an update was in progress. I probably drove away while it was updating from my WiFi.

·
Registered
5 Posts
GPS Not Working

I have a problem with finding locations in NE IL. I have installed all of the updates that I know of, both with wifi and usb. Nothing has helped. So far my dealer says they are stumped and "will get back to me". When I take it in for first service I'm going to tell them it is now their problem as I have spent about 25 hrs. trying to solve the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.