Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for recommendations for a GPS mount that I can use with my 2020 Ascent. I currently use one that hooks onto the air vents but it is not the best set up. Have any of you tried the kind that fit in the cup holder or have any other recommendations? Thank you.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I believe all models have this option. You need to install the app on your phone. There are tons of posts here about both options. I use Android Auto. I can see Google Maps or Waze on the head unit and get my turn by turn directions. I have a Touring and it has navigation, but I rarely use it. I use Android Auto with Waze most often.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Android auto or Apple CarPlay are built into the head unit. I highly recommend using this technology
I believe you need a Starlink subscription to take advantage of android auto. you can always use your smartphone's maping to call out directions but the map will not display on the Ascent screen without AA or ACP.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,311 Posts
AndroidAuto and CarPlay are standard features on all trim levels and do not require any subscription.

Reactions: TSiWRX and xydadx3

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
AndroidAuto and CarPlay are standard features on all trim levels and do not require any subscription.
My son's 2018 Impreza has AA on his phone and it is shaded out on his headunit. It does not work (image projected to the head unit while being plugged in) without a starlink subscription. We were also told by a local dealer that it is needed.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Packout, I do not believe there is a charge for the StarLink Multimedia features. The three paid packages are Starlink Safety Plus (free three year trial subscription with the Ascent), StarLink Security Plus (free 6 month trial with Ascent...this is the one that has remote services) and StarConcierge which adds a bunch of stuff for an extra five bucks a month.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
541 Posts
CarPlay and AndriodAuto should both be in the basic feature set and should not require an active STARLINK subscription.

If the connected phone isn't working (i.e. the respective App appears but is grayed-out), check the phone's OS update as well as any updates for the App you are using to connect, the physical connection (the wire/plug, there actually can be compatibility issues here, and every once in a while, just a tolerance issue between the USB ends), and of-course your vehicle's headunit firmware update, too. As with a lot of modern tech, this is one area where things can be a bit glitchy at times. I use mine daily as I really like Waze (even locally), and not a week goes by that - at twice-a-day use for my commutes - a glitch or two doesn't present, including the one where I'm jacked-in, but the App remains grayed-out.

My wife's '19 WRX CVT is a basic stripper model (she insisted on the cloth seats; I wanted to pay the extra $20 a month and get her the LED headlamps, but whatever! :p), and we actually never activated her STARLINK. For on-screen nav on the headunit, we just jack-in, and it's a go.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
If AA or CP is not working...check the cable first. Both are sometimes sensitive to cable quality. Both require tethering...there is no wireless AA or CP available. Beyond that, device and OS version may matter and as someone noted, being on the most current release of the head unit firmware is a best practice.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
51 Posts
I believe all models have this option. You need to install the app on your phone. There are tons of posts here about both options. I use Android Auto. I can see Google Maps or Waze on the head unit and get my turn by turn directions. I have a Touring and it has navigation, but I rarely use it. I use Android Auto with Waze most often.
I know I saw Waze before, but do not see the app anymore.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I am looking for recommendations for a GPS mount that I can use with my 2020 Ascent. I currently use one that hooks onto the air vents but it is not the best set up. Have any of you tried the kind that fit in the cup holder or have any other recommendations? Thank you.
No one's really answered your specific question. When you say GPS Mount do you want a mount for your smartphone to use as a GPS or do you wish to mount a stand-alone GPS unit such as a Garmin?

I assume you're looking for a smartphone mount because most stand-alone GPS units come with a mount. There are several threads in this forum concerning smartphone mounting such as this one.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
CarPlay and AndriodAuto should both be in the basic feature set and should not require an active STARLINK subscription.

If the connected phone isn't working (i.e. the respective App appears but is grayed-out), check the phone's OS update as well as any updates for the App you are using to connect, the physical connection (the wire/plug, there actually can be compatibility issues here, and every once in a while, just a tolerance issue between the USB ends), and of-course your vehicle's headunit firmware update, too. As with a lot of modern tech, this is one area where things can be a bit glitchy at times. I use mine daily as I really like Waze (even locally), and not a week goes by that - at twice-a-day use for my commutes - a glitch or two doesn't present, including the one where I'm jacked-in, but the App remains grayed-out.

My wife's '19 WRX CVT is a basic stripper model (she insisted on the cloth seats; I wanted to pay the extra $20 a month and get her the LED headlamps, but whatever! :p), and we actually never activated her STARLINK. For on-screen nav on the headunit, we just jack-in, and it's a go.
Today I tested my son's smartphone S10 which has AA on it in my Ascent. I have a subscription to Satarlink. It worked just fine. We then went into his 2018 Impreza and plugged his phone in and the grayed out AA on the screen remained gray. No AA connection. I will also note that the dealer has told us that you need Starlink for AA to function.

·
Registered
541 Posts
^ That's really weird - there's now been more replies that say it really should work. I wish that I knew more about the '18 versus '19 headunit differences, if any, as the manuals via the Subaru Online Resources page seem identical. FWIW, STARLINK definitely does -not- show as subscribed for my wife's '19 WRX in our MySubaru (only her XM subscription shows - this versus my Ascent, which does show the proper STARLINK level as well as its XM subscription).

Have you also tried other cables? As @Jim_in_PA and I both mentioned, the hardware really can be an issue sometimes. Also, can the HU pull music and other functionality via the cable, with that phone?

As for the dealer, how many times have we all lamented that they don't necessarily always know. ;)

I really think that the dealership has confused the STARLINK subscription services versus the fact that Subaru simply refers to its infotainment system as "Subaru STARLINK Multimedia."
One thing that this video pointed out is that for Apple CarPlay, it's necessary to give permission to the phone/system to connect (via hardwire) for that initial connection - is there something similar to this for Android Auto?

And towards this final bit, have you run through the entirety of the troubleshooting protocol with your son's Impreza?

The cable, receiver, and second vehicle troubleshooting would be the area that I would focus on.

----

No one's really answered your specific question. When you say GPS Mount do you want a mount for your smartphone to use as a GPS or do you wish to mount a stand-alone GPS unit such as a Garmin?

I assume you're looking for a smartphone mount because most stand-alone GPS units come with a mount. There are several threads in this forum concerning smartphone mounting such as this one.
Good point.

@Lauri , I use a Clutchit Magnetic Mount ( ClutchIt: Magnetic Phone Mount | Magnetic Mount | Magnetic Car Mount ) on the left side of my instrument cluster, that "triangle" that protrudes on either side of the textured binnacle hood (do not use any adhesives to the textured binnacle hood or dash, as residue will capture inside the textured grain/patterning; also, this textured overlay will pull away from the underlying dash structure with any amount of weight).

I use this setup to hold an old iPhone which I use as a dedicated Bluetooth display for my radar detector.

The part that attaches to the dash is a strong adhesive, and as long as you apply it correctly (proper prep is critical), it will hold for quite a while. The initial application lasted about a whole year for me. I've since chosen to remove the factory adhesive and instead use 3M's Automotive Trim/Molding Tape, which I replace twice a year to insure strong adhesion.

Neither adhesives will leave reside on the area that I spoke of above. I'll try to remember to take a picture for this thread tomorrow.

For long trips, I use a portable power-bank to keep the phone fueled, leaving the bank in the storage cubby below.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
^ That's really weird - there's now been more replies that say it really should work. I wish that I knew more about the '18 versus '19 headunit differences, if any, as the manuals via the Subaru Online Resources page seem identical. FWIW, STARLINK definitely does -not- show as subscribed for my wife's '19 WRX in our MySubaru (only her XM subscription shows - this versus my Ascent, which does show the proper STARLINK level as well as its XM subscription).

Have you also tried other cables? As @Jim_in_PA and I both mentioned, the hardware really can be an issue sometimes. Also, can the HU pull music and other functionality via the cable, with that phone?

As for the dealer, how many times have we all lamented that they don't necessarily always know. ;)

I really think that the dealership has confused the STARLINK subscription services versus the fact that Subaru simply refers to its infotainment system as "Subaru STARLINK Multimedia."
One thing that this video pointed out is that for Apple CarPlay, it's necessary to give permission to the phone/system to connect (via hardwire) for that initial connection - is there something similar to this for Android Auto?

And towards this final bit, have you run through the entirety of the troubleshooting protocol with your son's Impreza?

The cable, receiver, and second vehicle troubleshooting would be the area that I would focus on.

----
I just tried my Samsung S10 in his 2018 Impreza. No luck. We use high end cables in both vehicles and since his phone worked in the Ascent, sadly the challenge points to Starlink. Now for a bit of history, I was going to gift him a starlink subscription when he purchased the one year old vehicle, but the promotion and reasonable renewal price that we are offered when we purchased our Ascent is not available for a one year old vehicle. At the time I just did not want to go for it since I was not 100% certain it was a Starlink issue.

I have submitted my AA/starlink questions to SOA via email. I will post their response.

·
Registered
541 Posts
^ Hopefully someone at SOA will be able to help! :)

It really should not take a STARLINK service subscription to enable either Android Auto or Apple CarPlay - that really should be a part of the standard STARLINK infotainment suite.

The second-vehicle troubleshooting didn't work, either, I take it?

[URL='https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/6348190?hl=en']My Android Auto app isn't working - Android Auto Help[/URL] said:
Check your settings if you're connecting to a second car

If you're having trouble connecting to a second car:
  1. Unplug your phone from the car.
  2. Open the Android Auto app on your phone.
  3. Select Menu
    Menu
    and then
    Settings
    and then
    Connected cars.
  4. Uncheck the box next to the "Add new cars to Android Auto" setting.
  5. Try plugging your phone into the car again.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts