Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran into a strange situation using 2021 Ascent Touring's built-in Map software and map data.

Entered street address of business I needed to get too. Knowing only roughly were I was going.

As I am getting close, the GPS is telling me place is still 25-minutes / 20-miles away. Initially, I chalked it up to possible traffic work and a re-route.

When I should be getting very close, the GPS is telling me to keep going North, instead of telling me to turn off to East.
Pull over, enter address in my iPhone and it tells me, I need to take next possible turn off to East, then a route back to South. As I suspected I am West of where I should, and to far North.

Anyway, I followed iPhone directions to finally get where I needed to be. Once there, having time to kill. I entered street address again into Touring's Map system, and it has me way South and West of address. Something is wrong...

Zooming in on final location, I see there are no streets matching address. After some trial and error with Google maps, I was able to confirm none of streets in area marked as destination by Touring's Map software fit with entered street address.

Still having some time to kill. I tried entering name of business into Touring's Map system. Low and behold, Touring's Map System says: I am already there. Other than driving out of parking area to entrance of building. Walking distance...

Strangely, Touring's Map software on display shows business address, exactly same as address I originally entered.
Why Touring's Map software is picking a location where street address isn't and nearby streets are not similarly named is puzzling.

I can see how system might get East 32 Rd confused with West 32 Rd. Or 53 Walker St confused with 53 Walker Ave.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you have an iPhone, try using CarPlay with Waze as your navigation software. Usually works like a charm.
I have done that with the Ascent Limited. But it doesn't work unless iPhone can get a solid LTE connection. Usually two or more antenna bars.

For what ever reason, on a random basis, the Ascent Limited will refuse to connect to iPhone via CarPlay. Usually takes shutting Limited off to get CarPlay to connect or reconnect. But "rebooting" engine does not always work.

Tried different USB cords. Different iPhone. Power cycling iPhone. Problem appears to be in Limited's head unit firmware.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,165 Posts
Problem appears to be in Limited's head unit firmware.
\What is the firmware version you have? There have been a number of updates. You should not be having the connection problems you mention if you are using a quality cable and have current firmware.

Reactions: HeyChris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ran into a strange situation using 2021 Ascent Touring's built-in Map software and map data.

Entered street address of business I needed to get too. Knowing only roughly were I was going.

As I am getting close, the GPS is telling me place is still 25-minutes / 20-miles away. Initially, I chalked it up to possible traffic work and a re-route.

When I should be getting very close, the GPS is telling me to keep going North, instead of telling me to turn off to East.
Pull over, enter address in my iPhone and it tells me, I need to take next possible turn off to East, then a route back to South. As I suspected I am West of where I should, and to far North.

Anyway, I followed iPhone directions to finally get where I needed to be. Once there, having time to kill. I entered street address again into Touring's Map system, and it has me way South and West of address. Something is wrong...

Zooming in on final location, I see there are no streets matching address. After some trial and error with Google maps, I was able to confirm none of streets in area marked as destination by Touring's Map software fit with entered street address.

Still having some time to kill. I tried entering name of business into Touring's Map system. Low and behold, Touring's Map System says: I am already there. Other than driving out of parking area to entrance of building. Walking distance...

Strangely, Touring's Map software on display shows business address, exactly same as address I originally entered.
Why Touring's Map software is picking a location where street address isn't and nearby streets are not similarly named is puzzling.

I can see how system might get East 32 Rd confused with West 32 Rd. Or 53 Walker St confused with 53 Walker Ave.
I have a similar problem with my 2019 Outback 3.6R. The NAV often takes me far away from the address I enter. For many addresses, it works just fine, but with others, it will take you in the general right direction, but as you get close, it will have you turn exactly the opposite of where you need to go. I estimate it takes me to the wrong address--and by wrong I mean miles away--at least 25% of the time. I have taken it to Subaru to look at it, but they say it is up to date. They put in one local address and looked at the map and it calculated that address correctly, so they say there is nothing wrong. It is very frustrating and I have learned that I simply cannot ever rely on the NAV to take me to a new location I have not visited before. This is very disappointing. I love the way my car drives, but this NAV is the absolute worst I have ever seen. Equally frustrating is Subaru's failure to address the problem. My local Subaru dealer told me to write to the company about the issue. I did. The company told me to talk to the dealer. I am giving up. I use my phone. Too bad I paid all of those extra $$ for a car with a NAV that, not only doesn't work, it is dangerous.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since you have an iPhone, try using CarPlay with Waze as your navigation software. Usually works like a charm.
I know I could do that where I have good cell coverage as in cities. But much of my travel is in areas where cell service is spotty and will loose connection , the on board NAV system will stay connected in these areas. Also, I paid extra for the Touring model and in particular to get the onboard NAV system--it should work and work reliable.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,176 Posts
but as you get close, it will have you turn exactly the opposite of where you need to go
Welcome to TomTom. The built-in nav doesn't work any better than the standalone TomTom I bought 20 years ago.

My touring nav sends me west about 5 miles before telling me to make a u-turn when I go to the Subaru dealer which was due east of the turn West it told me to make. I only use TomTom when I already know where I'm going.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to TomTom. The built-in nav doesn't work any better than the standalone TomTom I bought 20 years ago.
Subaru needs to have a discussion with TomTom on behalf of Subaru's NAV customers.

Twice I have had Subaru Ascent Touring deviate me from a main highway. Telling me to go 1-mile to East or West, drive 1-mile to North or South, then drive 1-mile West or East (return). In both cases there wasn't any problems continuing straight, no construction, no wrecks. This was with latest firmware and map information (at the time).

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's widespread inaccurate. And the POI list is partial. It might get you home in a pinch. The ability to display the name of the street you are on, the direction you are travelling and (usually) the speed limit on the top center dash console is very handy though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts