Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a new 2020 Touring on the 31st. On New Year’s Day we took our first trip and at 56 miles (that’s total mileage on the car / brand new tires) picked this up from the road in the right rear...

I’ve never even seen a bolt this big before. It was buried to the nut.
Amazingly the tire held pressure for the 2mi it took us to get to a nearby Firestone where they patched it in 15 mins for $20.

Could’ve been MUCH worse but talk about rotten luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That is crazy. I'm not doubting you one bit but I'm having a hard time imagining how that could have happened. Glad it was repairable.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I caught a bolt almost EXACTLY like that (mine was 8” long) @ ~250mi in an ‘07 Pathfinder I bought new. Throughout the 3 years of ownership before it’s demise (totaled head-on by DD) I had massive, constant issues with tires on that thing. 8 separate, different whacky issues related to wheels and tires, lol. That thing had a curse on it I think! I lived at Discount Tire. Was nuts.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
We bought a new 2020 Touring on the 31st. On New Year’s Day we took our first trip and at 56 miles (that’s total mileage on the car / brand new tires) picked this up from the road in the right rear...

View attachment 2810

I’ve never even seen a bolt this big before. It was buried to the nut.
Amazingly the tire held pressure for the 2mi it took us to get to a nearby Firestone where they patched it in 15 mins for $20.

Could’ve been MUCH worse but talk about rotten luck.
Good thing you did not try to take it out before reaching the tire store. Discount Tire warranty certificate would have covered it for free.

·
Registered
561 Posts
consider yourself lucky. I once came upon an auto accident scene early one morning shortly after the highway patrol arrived. A bolt like that was flipped up by a vehicle in front of it, and it was rammed up through the bottom of the car and impaled into the driver's seat. The seat of the driver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had it happened a few months later and the tire wasn't repairable, you would have been on the hook for 4 NEW tires. This is a consequence of the Subaru all-wheel drive system.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
This is a consequence of the Subaru all-wheel drive system.
It has nothing to do with Subaru. It's the same with all 4x4 and AWD vehicles in that tire diameters have to be consistent to avoid damaging the drive train. Very little variance (a few percentage points) is permitted in that respect.

Reactions: xydadx3
1 - 9 of 9 Posts