Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What did I do to my Subaru Ascent today? I didn't do it, someone else did it to my Ascent.

Was coming home from a weekend vacation in Lake Tahoe this morning. A Dodge Ram Van heading the opposite direction lost control and slid right into my lane hitting us almost head on.

Super thankful for how safe the Ascent kept my entire family. My wife, all 4 kids, and I walked away.

Some more photos uploaded to google photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9ZeX26njKrY8zSW3A

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
Ouch! That looks totaled when all those airbags go off. Glad no one was hurt! The Ascent did its job sacrificing itself to keep you safe.

Looks like this happened up on I-50 near Tahoe?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch! That looks totaled when all those airbags go off. Glad no one was hurt! The Ascent did its job sacrificing itself to keep you safe.

Looks like this happened up on I-50 near Tahoe?
Yes! I-50 at Tahoe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the insurance company deems it repairable be sure and check if your state has diminished value statutes. This may allow you to receive payment from the adverse party's insurance carrier over and above the cost of repair since your vehicle will be worth less than a comparable vehicle that has not been in an accident.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad everyone is ok. Looks like a pretty good accident there and the Ascent did its job! Best of luck moving forward.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad everyone is OK! So scary, especially with the kids in the car. Great job protecting your family by having them in such a safe vehicle.

Thanks for posting the pics. I was surprised to see how big the driver's lower airbag is.

·
Registered
597 Posts
This is one of the reasons I purchased the Ascent over other vehicles. Subaru really cares about safety and a car is just a car and can be replaced but a person leaves a hole that lasts forever.

So glad everyone is safe. Let us know if they fix it or total it. I'm sort of surprised that only the front airbags went off as I thought the side airbags would deploy as well but maybe you slowed enough to prevent that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is one of the reasons I purchased the Ascent over other vehicles. Subaru really cares about safety and a car is just a car and can be replaced but a person leaves a hole that lasts forever.

So glad everyone is safe. Let us know if they fix it or total it. I'm sort of surprised that only the front airbags went off as I thought the side airbags would deploy as well but maybe you slowed enough to prevent that.
Glade every one is safe and make me appreciate the Ascent and Subaru even more for safety. I’m not fully in the weeds about how Side/Curtain airbags work but I thought they only deploy in a side collision, because the vehicle was hit more head on momentum is moving forward eliminating the need to deploy. That’s just my thoughts I’m sure someone on here like Robert can answer that more logically.

·
Registered
978 Posts
That isn’t a total unless the unibody is bent. I was just up there last week. We drove that section several times going to Sierra at Tahoe while staying in South Lake. Low speed wreck 15-30mph if traffic was heavy even last week in sunny cold conditions I never saw much over 25mph through that section of 50.

The storm that came through yesterday was no joke. Badly needed snow though!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry to hear this accident but good to hear Ascent save your whole family.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Definitely glad to hear that you are all safe.

I don't know if you recall in the moment, but did the car act different or beep or apply brakes?

Thanks for the update. Stay well!!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My son was in two "airbag" accidents and he said, "the sense of disorientation and the smell of the airbag going off will be forever imprinted in my memory." Both of those incidents were over 10 years ago and he still cringes when he sees a bad accident.

·
Registered
631 Posts
What did I do to my Subaru Ascent today? I didn't do it, someone else did it to my Ascent.

Was coming home from a weekend vacation in Lake Tahoe this morning. A Dodge Ram Van heading the opposite direction lost control and slid right into my lane hitting us almost head on.

Super thankful for how safe the Ascent kept my entire family. My wife, all 4 kids, and I walked away.

Some more photos uploaded to google photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9ZeX26njKrY8zSW3A
sorry ... that sucks, glad everyone's ok.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts