Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I signed my loan for my Ascent. My Ascent is still on pre-order (but dealership got 2 in that were not even pre-orders!) I was in the first group of pre orders and still have a 2 week wait.

Anyways, I live in New England. I pre-ordered my ascent back in Feb (preminum package with moonroof/navi add on).

As time was getting closer to the Ascent's arrival, I decided to get the financing done on my own (as usually if you get the financing done on your own you save money and are considered a 'cash' buyer). I went into the dealership to see if they could beat my financing rate. I also have a 2016 subaru crosstrek for my trade in. The salesmen and I already AGREED on a trade in value. He wanted to offer me 1k less for my trade! I was livid. No excessive miles were put on (about 2k over the span of 4 months), no damage to the car! I was livid! He also told me that since I already put in a loan application with a credit union (which is their go-to credit union) they could not put in another credit app to them. They tried to say that they would look at financing once the ascent arrives. I said No, I wanted to take care of this now. SO then they tried to offer me cheaper auto insurance to free up funds so I could afford a bigger car payment. I told them I recently switched auto insurance companies a month ago and already saved $80 a month but they were pushy. Gee an hour wasted to sabe $2.00?! I was not happy!

I told them. Once I began the financing process I can apply for my loan during a 2 week period and it counts as 1 hard pull on your credit report (they are well aware of this) and were trying to beat around the bush. So I did something I NEVER thought I would do. I walked out and told them the deal was off.

I was completely devastated. My credit score is good, well into the 700's so I knew they were screwing me over on the financing. I had asked, ok if you won't budge on trade then you need to come down on MSRP. He said absolutely not. So we walked out.

I then contacted other local dealerships and was asking for $500 over their invoice price and to get the original amount offered on my trade. 2 Dealerships were willing to do this. 2 days later the GM of that dealership called and expressed his apologies for the salesman (who I have known for years!) This is my 3rd Subaru from this dealership. He wanted an opportunity to fix this, so I listened to what he had to say. I sent him E-mails of my offers from other dealerships, and they honored the price, gave me $1,500 more on my trade, and also took 1k off their 7yr extended warranty! I still am uneasy around this salesman but only delt with the finance and GM today.

I was very afraid to say NO especially with a pre-order! They prey off your emotions and know that you want the car. They seemed shocked I got up and left!

But the numbers were absolutely unrealistic with my good credit. My advice is NEGOTIATE the price of the car first (don't fall for how much can you afford each month as dealerships will try to extend the loan so the payments are lower), THEN tell them you have a trade. If the price is not where you want it, walk away. If they want your business they will call you if they are serious. Ask for $500 over invoice and ask to speak with the internet sales person as they can usually do better on numbers. I can appreciate that the dealership did work hard to make it right, and was apologizing for their sales manager for being such a jerk to me.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
When they do the “how much you can afford each month”, ask them what’s the total loan with interest. Of course the sale guy not gonna know. If he does, then negotiate on sale price bc they’re making on the apr. Once you get to finance guy to finish things off, negotiate the apr. if you don’t like the terms, make to have your loan ready from another institution and tell Subaru you got finance somewhere else.

Tell Subaru to send the purchase order over

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I think when buying car, ppl with 720 score has a better negotiation result than 820 score.

Credit score is a weird world.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Really? Bunch of dealerships here in Portland OR metro willing to sell for invoice! In fact we picked ours up last night, invoice, even got them to agree more on the ball trade in of our 2017 Impreza sports from 15.5 k to 18k.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts